1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Google Nexus Devices

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 26, 2013.

1. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Me too. It's a much better phone than the galaxy nexus and has enough power to stay relevant for 2 years I would guess. But if Google keeps dropping the price by 100 before each release there's no reason not to upgrade each year. So maybe I'll pick up the nexus 5 next summer. That phone does sound impressive though

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd gladly take 720 over 1080...battery life trumps the difference in resolution.

3. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

the screen quality/resolution is negligible compared to the nexus 7. Obviously you can tell the difference side by side, but for everyday use I'll take the better battery life.

4. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Wow, I want this phone. Goodbye to iPhone if the price is right.

5. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Agreed. Especially on a 5" screen. Heck, even on my 32" plasma, it's hard to see any difference between 720 and 1080.

But I'll never buy another phone without a replaceable battery. That has been a lifesaver with my Galaxy Nexus.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

7. BetterThanI

That says KeyLimePie, when we now know the true name is KitKat. Fake, maybe?

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't think there is any way the new Nexus phone will cost only $299.00. The alleged specs are just too good. I bet it's $50.00 or $100.00 higher.

Otherwise, there will be a major run on this phone for quite some time and Google's hardware partners might be offended. In particular, the LG G2 on T-Mobile and AT&T will be nuked.

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I think internally Google used KeyLimePie. It was only a few weeks ago that they made this deal with Nestle, so I can understand why it would still say KeyLimePie as it was the codename for a while.

I don't think it's too bad if it's only a $50-$100 increase. Still pretty good for an off-contract phone such as this one with the rumored specs.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Technology generally gets cheaper over generations.

11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Is it really that different than when the Nexus 4 was released? It was pretty similar to the G2's predecessor in specs IIRC (inferior, but so is the Nexus 5 in similar ways). Maybe no LTE was enough to make a difference though.

Not to say I'd expect $300. Think that was just Google testing the waters. Whether they want to do that again is another story.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Of course, but IIRC the specs being discussed for the Nexus 5 put it closer to the cutting edge than the Nexus 4 was last year. Everyone understood the Nexus 4 was a step behind when it came to specs, but the price blew people away. This time around, I doubt we get to eat our cake for just $299.00. Regardless, let's hope Google anticipates demand more accurately.

13. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I double-checked, and the Nexus 4 did seem pretty cutting edge when it came out. I don't think any other phone available at its release had better specs (most still had dual-core Kraits IIRC). Google pushed it as the fastest phone on the planet. Maybe the Note 2 was faster, though I don't think phones got significantly better until early 2013 (S4, HTC One, etc.).

As I said, it didn't have LTE, and when combined with a so-so camera, not a great battery, limited storage, etc., other devices could be seen as better. The Nexus 5 might have similar drawbacks, though I'd expect LTE and apparently a better camera. Maybe that's enough to push its price up $50-$100. But the other specs don't seem too far off from what the Nexus 4 had (relatively speaking).

14. BetterThanI

Wish list for Nexus 5:

- removable battery (this is a deal breaker for me)
    - sd card slot (doubtful on any Nexus device)
    - Opitcal Image Stabilization
    - Knock on/off
    - 32GB minimum
    - front-facing speaker (dual stereo, if possible)
    - $299 unlocked :grin:

Did I miss anything?

15. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I think perhaps LG and Google have something worked out where the nexus will be based on the G2 but will be missing something. As in the Optimus G vs N4 the Optimus G had LTE and a 13mp camera but the N4 didn't. This time around the G2 has the 3000mah batter and slightly larger screen 5.2 vs the N5 having a 2300mah battery and a smaller screen and no rear button controls which i'm sure Google probably didn't want anyway.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not the way I remembered the N4 but I'll take your word for it.

17. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

there was probably a 1% chance that the nex 5 would be on vzw after the gnex debacle, but i guess this kinda makes it official.

lol. screw you vzw.

18. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

They're mad.
    I really wonder what happened behind the scenes with the whole Galaxy Nexus thing. I'm surprised no tech news site has ever reported the beef Google has with VZW.

I used to be on Verizon and loved it, but I'm never coming back on.

Don't care for unlimited data. Falling back to EVDO-A (Verizon 3G) makes me want to cringe if I'm out of an LTE zone, proprietary everything, expensive as **** (I have a corporate discount and it's still cheaper to go elsewhere), and they never have the latest handsets anymore.

I've come to realize AT&T works great in all the areas I'm in, has way faster LTE, and even has LTE in small Texas towns that I sometimes travel through where VZW doesnt.

Oh, and I can use any ****ing phone I want.

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

I have been on ATT since 2009 and I have had crappy service at my house since then. I use a microcell to make calls. Mind you..I am in pearland..

Anywho..last week I noticed I was full bars on my iphone 4 with downloads up to 6mbps!

I was ready to sign up with Verizon when the new iphone comes out..but I think I am just going to stay with ATT now. Like scion said..falling back to cdma 3g makes me cringe. Plus all good phones are coming to ATT first.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

EDIT: Never mind. ItsMyFault had it right.