1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 Google Nexus Devices

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That picture sucked ass. No argument. Just like in my first post; it says almost nothing about the camera. You said based on the pic the camera was not great. That's a load of crap. To me it looked like you just wanted to dump on the phone. If not, fine. I guess you just know very little about cameras.

To be clear, I have no dog in the fanboy phone fight. In the last year I have had an iPhone, Samsung, Windows Phone and now this Nexus.

2. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

So, a picture from the camera 'sucks ass' and doesn't give me a positive impression of the camera and you get defensive and call it an 'attack'. You also get angry enough to put a passive aggressive swipe at what I know too. Ok.

Good to know you don't have a dog in the fight.

3. Bandwagoner

It was an attack, and it was baseless. Here is a less passive attack. You either don't know jack sheit about cameras or you are being intellectually dishonest to the extreme. You can't tell anything about the camera from that picture.

Also I don't have a dog in this fight, I have said earlier I already prefer my Note 2.

4. Bandwagoner

5. Coach AI

I can't believe you want to argue about this either.

I thought the picture was bad, and I don't think the dynamic range is all that spectacular compared to most new smartphones. (I wouldn't have minded seeing that pic using the N5's HDR mode). That's all. From all the reviews I've read it's hardly a controversial opinion that the camera isn't that great, so I'm not sure why this is a big deal.

It doesn't mean something is wrong with the rest of the phone.

6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

official bumper came in earlier. definitely adds bulk, but attractive in a lego block sort of way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Bandwagoner

any links you have that show the dynamic range is average? Noise and dynamic range are the places new sensors typically gain ground. Detail and sharpness are mostly about the lens quality in low cost cameras like this.

8. Coach AI

I don't think it's average, I just don't think it's significantly better than most of the high end phones. I did say it was going to be better than the N4, which is a given.

I do think the new sensor probably is highlighted more in the HDR shots, at least if the photos I've come across are any indication. Gizmodo's review touches on it and with the comparisons in the album the non HDR shots seem pretty standard to me:
    http://gizmodo.com/nexus-5-review-the-best-is-still-the-best-especially-1458003288
    https://plus.google.com/+BrentRose/posts/H7QGpcj3jp1

These others talk a little about the camera and dynamic range:
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/google-nexus-5_Mobile-Phone_review_camera_Page-5
    http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-initial-photo-and-video-samples

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Loving the Nexus 5 so far. Haven't used it all full day yet though so I don't know how battery life will be for me.

There's just nothing like owning a pure stock Android device.

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Just wanted to back what others have said. Didn't run a full battery test, but after one day, it seemed pretty decent. If I stretched it out, probably would have been 3-4 hours of on-screen time, 12+ hours total. Above average usage for me since I was playing around with the device quite a bit (streaming radio, tons of LTE tests, WiFi always on but using LTE, several camera pics/vids, etc.). Seemed better than what I was getting with N4, especially with my "average" use. Probably could dim the screen brightness some, but no need to with that battery life.

Camera seems really good to me, although it definitely needs some software updates. The camera app itself really needs some work. It seems really slow (even just bring up the app), which stands out compared to all the other apps. Fix some of those issues, and I'd be really happy with it.

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Were you able to get your LTE issue resolved? I saw on Reddit other TMO LTE users were having issues.

12. Scionxa

I love the phone. Stayed up late as hell playing with it. I swear my alarm clock didn't go off though which is strange. Either that or I was so ****ing tired from playing with it that I snoozed that **** instantly.

13. RC Cola

I was getting 20+ mbps at home last night, so think it might have just been a fluke the first night (or maybe a bad Speedtest server). I've not really used LTE much (use WiFi usually), but it seems fine.

I saw others mentioning that you need to call T-Mobile and have them update their system with your new Nexus 5 IMEI so LTE can work properly, but unless I have more problems, don't think I'll bother (seems to be working fine).

14. Scionxa

I'm sure the IMEI provisioning will fix it if you do encounter problems. I couldn't get LTE on my N5 until I called AT&T and provided them with my IMEI. After then I just rebooted and got LTE :)

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Any networking gurus here?
    My school(Umass Amherst) uses 802.1x EAP protocol, and I'm having issues connecting to the network. First off I had no issues connecting to the network with my htc one and cm 10.1. The oddest thing is when I first booted my Nexus 5 it connected to the network WITHOUT me even entering in my username and password. However, after unlocking the bootloader which reset my phone I cannot connect to the network. I've tried using the school's step by step method which uses an app called xpressconnect. No luck. If anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated.

16. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I'm loving the Nexus 5 so far, but I'm having trouble disconnecting my phone number from my iPhone/iMessage account. All messages from iOS users to me are being routed to iMessage limbo. I've disconnected my phone number from iMessage on my iPhone, iPad and MacBook, but this hasn't helped. Have any recent iPhone converts had any success disconnecting?

17. RC Cola

Has anyone played around with enabling ART?
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...-in-secret-for-over-2-years-debuts-in-kitkat/
    I didn't even realize this was supported until earlier today (and I think I even looked through the developer options).

Can't really notice any substantial improvements (Nexus 5 is so fast even without this), but also haven't experienced any compatibility issues (my company's app works fine, which made me happy). So I'll probably stick with it. Maybe get some battery life improvements. Combined with some tweaks I'm trying to make to the brightness (it is way too bright by default, even with auto brightness), might squeeze out a bit more life out of the battery (I've been more than happy with the battery life, but never hurts to have more!).

18. ItsMyFault

Thanks for the heads up. Going to try this out.

19. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Just got my GN5. This phone supposedly has LTE support for TMobile correct? APN settings are correct, and LTE is enabled as network type as well. Still getting HSPA+ in the Spring Branch area.

I tried to unlock the LTE antenna on a GN4 as well and got LTE signal briefly but that killed my data connection thereafter. I would have to reset back to CDMA/GSM network.

Has anyone have any luck getting the 4 or 5 to get LTE on TMobile?

20. ItsMyFault

It might be your SIM.