1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013/2014 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 13, 2013.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There are garbage fans at every club. Usually piss poor, dumb and addicted to booze. Barcelona is no exception.

2. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Didnt get to post on game day cause I was to hype.

But I am so happy that Liverpool were able to pull it out, just hoping for a dream season with the League Title. That way when Liverpool come to Charlotte I will be able to say I saw the champions play.

YNWA.

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Man of course I was referring to the monkey chants. Also, no, fans don't have the right to tell players "something" just because of a few crappy games. This isn't like they've been $hit all season and are in the relegation battle. Come on. Can't stand that sense of entitlement fans have and it's ridiculously worse in World Footy than in the North American sports/sports leagues.

Except for the fact that it happens in Spain and Italy(in terms of the major European leagues and countries) way too frequently. There seems to always be a few fans making the rest of a fanbase look bad. I know there are garbage fans at every club but I guess I'm foolish for thinking Barcelona would be an exception when it comes to disgusting racist behavior by fans. The same club that had Abidal, Eto'o, Dinho, Rijkaard managing-all in the past decade. This isn't Bilbao we are talking about or Sociedad. Barca have had their fare share of black or darker skinned players over time and I guess I figured idiocy like that could be expected at one of the other La Liga clubs I mentioned. Then again, Betis have had their fare share of black players and yet still chose to act in similar disgusting fashion this season. Damn shame at those supporters for tarnishing the image and class of other supporters at the club that don't agree or stand for such racist behavior.

1 person likes this.
  4. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Let me start off by saying I'm completely against racism. You seem to know a lot about La Liga, so you should also know that Spain in general is racist. Not only towards persons of dark skin but also to us that were born in the Americas but of Spaniard descent. Trust me I have plenty of family there. Some of them still call us the colonies lmao. Of course, not everyone is like that. Sadly, Barcelona is not an exception. Not long ago, they threw bananas at Pepe in the middle of a game. It isn't as bad as the Basque country but still bad compared to other European cities/ countries.

The part I disagree with you is where fans can express their discontent (again not in a racist way) towards the players. I listened to the video again and they are calling for the captains (Puyi, Xavi, Valdes) they want to talk to them to express their anger. If you watch Barca as much as I do (yet to miss a game this season) you will know that obviously we have the talent to beat the likes of Granada, Valladolid, Levante, etc. I guess it's frustrating because we will have a good games against "big teams" but when the smaller teams come around it seems we aren't 100% focused on the game. I guess most of them are thinking about the world cup already. Of course, there had been many other distractions this season that most likely affected the team as well (Tito stepping down due to cancer, Tata hired in a rush, another season w.o CBs, Messi's tax problems, Neymar's mysterious signing, Rosell forced to step down, FIFA's ban, etc.). Idk, I guess for the past 5 years we have always been on the winning end that we forgot what is to be on the losing end.

I support my team at all times though, I'm actually leaving work early to catch us winning La Copa del Rey!;)

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

First season in how many years without Barca winning a trophy?

6. ferrari77

I guess it's universally agreed that Martino is done. Only question left to ask is who takes over for him. The Moyes/United thing was always silly because United would never sack him until seeing how next season goes. This is the more interesting job opening. Who takes over for Martino at Barca?

Klopp? Frank De Boer? Van Gaal is available but doubtful he wants to return to Barcelona especially since he has been angling for a move to England.

Barca fans, any Spanish managers in the mix for the job? Who is your preference to get the job?

7. ferrari77

I can understand Milan fans at this time expressing their discontent with their team because of how they've dropped in the standings. Barca fans? No. Not after just one trophyless season in what, the past decade? That's not just expressing discontent but that's showing ridiculous entitlement and I don't think fans have the right to insult players just for that. They can express discontent but to say they should be allowed to talk to the captains so they can "express their anger" is silly. The fans apparently figure Puyol, Xavi, Valdes etc are happy to not win a trophy and must be thrilled to lose in the trophy race to Madrid. Ridiculousness. As if the players don't know the fans are angry and as if they can't figure that out when the fans express discontent at the stadium. C'mon man. Don't think like that. :)

My main point, fans can express discontent at the ground(and as we see mostly in Europe-at the training ground and team hotels) but when it comes to personal insults at the players that is crossing the line and let's not be naive in thinking they would be polite in expressing their anger towards Xavi, Valdes, etc. There's a point where paying for admission and supporting one's team doesn't need to cross over into throwing personal insults at them. What happens when the player decides to come back at the fan and insult the fan as well? The fans will cry to the police and the media. I can't side with that.

Anyway, tell us who you and the other Barca fans want to take over the managerial job?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well we've officially hit rock bottom. Ugh

9. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Just saw the highlights.

Gareth Bale, my goodness.

10. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

What a goal by Bale. Incredible. Can't score in big games, huh? Now Madrid fans are seeing what he did for the Spuds the past couple of seasons.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Holy schitt... Bale made dude look like he's moving in slow-mo. Glad Madrid scratched out Barca, never liked them.

Also good draw by Sunderland vs City. Should have been a 2-1 (from highlights) if that keeper could just tap the ball away after getting too excited from the initial block. Let's hope Chelsea will drop points too.

12. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Don't know for sure but probably 07.. I know 03 was last time we lost 3 in a row.

13. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

A bit drunk now.. Will come to this later :(:(

14. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Front runner at this point is Klop.. From Spain only Luis Enrique and perhaps el Cholo but i don't think his defensive philosophy will fit well. Taking in consideration the fifa ban maybe Sacristan, the barca b guy.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I just saw that Crystal Palace have 33 points from their last 22 games.

Take a bow, Tony Pulis. Take a bow. Manager of the year.

Roberto Martinez did not see that coming.

As an Arsenal fan, I'll take it!

16. ferrari77

He's been "puncheon" above his weight.

[​IMG]

17. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

As a Liverpool fan I am getting nervous about that match in two weeks

18. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Doubt that Palace can hit Chelsea, Everton and Liverpool. Who knows though!

ATW - so what's the deal with Kroos? He going to Utd?

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think he'll stay, but I am not concerned either way.

20. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Really? You don't rate him? Thought he looked good in Europe - not seen enough of him though.