1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2012] What are you reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Twelve - Justin Cronin (follow up to The Passage)

2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Tom Clancy - Dead or Alive

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

"A Series of Unfortunate Events" with my 8 year old :)

Read these with my 12 year old when he was younger...just great kids books. Had the pleasure of meeting the author this past Friday, who was absolutely hilarious.

4. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

At the blue willow event? My youngest sister and my mother went, said it was awesome.

5. elrond

elrond Member

Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. Enjoyable read for folks who like fantasy. Elemental summoning is the main basis for magical abilities. I liked it quite a bit, but my main complaint with this, and some of his other books is that the action tends to go full tilt for an extended period of time without much of a breather. Think of it like an action movie where the whole two hours is just nonstop action.

David Gemmell's Troy series. Just finished the second book, and am really enjoying this series. I really like his characterizations for the different heroes in greek mythology, especially Odysseus. I'll be reading the last book in the series next, and highly recommend David Gemmell for fans of the heroic fantasy genre.

The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. Felt this novel was ok, not really all that engaging for me. Wouldn't mind reading the follow on books, but not a series that I'm particularly excited about.

6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Just finished Life of Pi. I'm not a big reader, if a book cannot capture my attention in the first, maybe, 10-20% of the story, I lose interest and rarely finish. My attention wasn't captured at the beginning, but it wasn't lost. I liked the authors style and since I heard many good things about it, I kept on. Glad I did. Once I got through Part 1, I couldn't put it down. Amazing story.

7. TheMountainTop

Obama's America by Dinesh DeSouza
    A Brief History of Everything by Bill Bryson

8. IVFL

IVFL Member

Reach for the Summitt by Pat Summitt

9. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Just finished a Storm of Swords in the Game of Thrones series

10. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

11. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I finished all of a "Song Of Ice and Fire" (game of thrones) over a span of a week during the break. Great great read. Feast of Crows sucked but Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords were amazing. Crack on paper.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Storm Of Swords was amazing. But seriously....**** GRRM for making that that depressing and choosing those chain of events. Pissed the hell out of me so much.

14. gah

gah Member

15. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I know, that honestly just played with my emotions bad. But Storm of Swords was awesome, definetely my favorite. I just got Feast for Crows and haven't started it yet, bad to hear that it sucks. I've been reading a lot (for me anyways) and have read the first 3 books since the beginning of the school year. I can't believe you read all those in a week!

16. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Hey Scribo, did you ever read The Prisoner of Heaven? Do I have to read Angel's Game before this one?