1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Presidential Election: Romney vs. Obama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Mankiw was the CEA for Bush, and it might be interesting for the Austrian/real business cycle/abolish the Fed/GOVMENT OUT types to read what he thinks about you guys.

http://www.nek.lu.se/nekkfr/d-kurs/MankiwReal buscycles.pdf

Real Business Cycles: a New Keynesian Perspective

N. Gregory Mankiw

Harvard University - Department of Economics; National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER)

Well, at least the country is in reasonably sane hands for a while.

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Romney can't possibly be worse than Obama. That alone is enough to convince me. However, the GOP convention hasn't gathered yet. My political bent at this point is ABO (anybody but Obama).

3. Northside Storm

Will the real Mitt Romney please stand up?

His economic advisers should.

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.ca/2006/07/why-economists-like-immigration.html

Capitalism Against Climate Change

By R. GLENN HUBBARD
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118057946335919651.html

A Missed Opportunity on Climate Change

By N. GREGORY MANKIW
    Published: August 8, 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/business/economy/09view.html

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I agree with this

Obama is a terrible leader

5. Northside Storm

[​IMG]

6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

not terrible but he definately has p***y-footed aroung too much. i think if he takes the gloves off and wotks the bully pulpit more forcefully he'll fair better.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought when GW Bush was elected that he couldn't be worse than Reagan. But he was far worse. It's different in this case because it is a comparison of of Obama who's still running against someone else who's also running. I'm just saying it is never safe to think one person can't be worse. It's always possible.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Maybe he hopes for change though.

9. Northside Storm

He won't get it with Romney though, that's for sure.

The country will be on the same path as it was in 2008 if you guys elect Romney, I'm sure SOME people would like to see that if only to prove that, well, the SEC is useful.

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

His ultimate undoing.

Pres. Obama for 4 more years.

The Repubs real chance will come in 2012. A clean slate to work with and hopefully a candidate that is not hopeless like the nominees this year. Now that I think about it ...their only chance resides in the chubby boy in New Jersey. He's a mans man:rolleyes:.

11. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO Obama is in trouble in your Katy neighborhood? No way, imagine that.. Who would every think a biracial Democrate would not poll well in Katy? I am simply amazed...

You are so out of touch..

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that President Obama wasn't planning on carrying Texas...let alone your neighborhood in Katy.

13. Major

Major Member

Nonsense. I'm pretty sure Obama will be running pretty aggressively on both health care reform and financial regulation reform. Those are two of the biggest pieces of legislation in the last 30 years.

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Beat me to it. I hope thumbs doesn't get too carried away extrapolating his Katy neighborhood results to the nation. I wonder if Obama will even bother campaigning in Texas.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

He wont. At least not the same way he did in 2008. In 2008 they had a full staff in Texas. This time around they'll probably have some token staff in Austin but beyond that not much.

The point of campaigning in places like Texas was for volunteer recruitment to make calls into states that actually mattered. I think they have a large enough network through OFA affiliates that lived on after 2008 to where establishing full blown campaigns is a waste of time.

They'll put more money into targeted states this time around.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For both parties Texas is very important for fundraising.

17. geeimsobored

Which will be done regardless. I'm only referring to field programs. Fundraising requires very little on the ground staff. You have your surrogates who live in the state who handle most of this.

Fundraising is totally separate from this equation. Obama will certainly raise money in Texas. I just dont think he'll be spending on a big field program like he did in 2008.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent point, and often overlooked. Democrats raise huge amounts of cash in Texas. They won't raise as much if they (we, actually) blow the state off. Besides, Texas won't stay Republican forever. The worm will turn. Organization here will eventually pay off.

19. geeimsobored

That has nothing to do with field organization though. I guarantee they'll scale it down this year. Fundraising can all be centralized from Chicago with a small staff in state to help manage your surrogates. You can run a good fundraising operation with a small staff of 2 to 4 people. And seeing as how they will barely try with field this time around. They probably won't even have staff above 10 people in Texas.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think you are forgetting just how huge this state is. I'll be shocked if the staff here is that small. I guess it's something we can check on late this summer. The hard part will be remembering to check!