1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Presidential Election: Romney vs. Obama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Apr 11, 2012.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As someone who is a Christian, I believe that Democratic positions are more in line with the Bible than Republican ones.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize there are pro-Life Democrats and Pro-Choice Republicans. In fact Romney has been at pains to emphasize that he does support abortion in cases of rape and incest which under your definition above would also be murder.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Acting like the Christian position is that life begins at conception is idiotic.

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/was-st-thomas-aquinas-wrong-about-when-human-life-begins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beginning_of_human_personhood

St. Jerome also didn't believe that life began at birth. Please don't act like Christians have a universal belief that life begins at conception.

#2403 FranchiseBlade, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  4. Nook

Nook Member

As a Christian I cannot vote for Republicans based on their treatment of the poor.

2 people like this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think the economy is due for a little upswing in any case, and whoever is president the next four years will benefit. But I agree with you that this will be extremely short-lived if you enact something like Paul Ryan's "budget." Just accumulate more money to the few, stifling the flow of money to the rest of the system and population. Or, worse still, creating another enormous speculative bubble that would pop like 10-15 years later.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Utah’s Largest Paper Endorses Obama, Blasts ‘Too Many Mitts’

The Salt Lake Tribune, the largest newspaper in Utah, on Friday endorsed President Obama for re-election rather than the first Mormon presidential nominee, Mitt Romney.

In an editorial entitled "Too Many Mitts," the paper castigated Romney for his frequent reinventions and changes of position:

From his embrace of the party’s radical right wing, to subsequent portrayals of himself as a moderate champion of the middle class, Romney has raised the most frequently asked question of the campaign: "Who is this guy, really, and what in the world does he truly believe?"

The evidence suggests no clear answer, or at least one that would survive Romney’s next speech or sound bite. Politicians routinely tailor their words to suit an audience. Romney, though, is shameless, lavishing vastly diverse audiences with words, any words, they would trade their votes to hear.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/robbins-report/2012/oct/18/romney-outpolling-carter-reagan-bush-i-clinton-bus/#.UIInBqxXgKQ

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I don't look at one poll. I posted one poll.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

"You are so immoral it makes my skin crawl."

11. SunsRocketsfan

Its stupid when news papers endorse people and who the f cares about newspapers anymore?

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well, people like me do, and when one considers that this is the largest newspaper at the very heart of Romney's Mormon religion, it is a big hairy freakin' deal. Actually, it's shocking. And what was in that editorial is staggeringly damaging to the Romney campaign. There is one point that you illustrate yourself, however. Will anyone care outside of Utah? After all, who the f cares about newspapers anymore? Your own words. I once worked at two of the major Houston newspapers. You know, deadlines, frantically getting editions out to beat the competition, to get the thud of that newspaper hitting your front yard. Your front porch, if the kid had a good arm.

Yeah, none of it matters any longer. Who cars, right? It's just the news. What an archaic idea.

13. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uh. Do the Moonies still own the Washington Times? Why would you bother reading it?

15. SunsRocketsfan

Yup couldn't have said it better. Im just saying i dont think the news should be endorsing anyone.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Obama is not trailing in the important polls. Anything can still happen with 3 weeks left, and it is close... but follow the money, Vegas has Obama a 2:1 favorite.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The fix is in.

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

While I do not support Romney, you're making a small leap here Deckard. Salt Lake City actually has one of the largest, if not the largest, populations of non-Morman's in the state of Utah despite it housing the base of the LDS. Most of that group are actually Democrat and very open to other races, sexual-orientations, etc.. The Tribune is actually a fairly secular newspaper without any true connection to the LDS for over 100 years and is even owned and run by groups outside of Utah.

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, but I hope you don't make an appearance in either texxx's thread or basso's.

20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Election facts support Obama

Election facts support Obama
    http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20121021/OPINION03/310210005

This is the most important presidential election in all of my 45 years of voting. It was quoted by Bob Schieffer, of CBS “Face The Nation,” that this is the most important election in the last 100 years.

I’ve been following both candidates for this entire year quite closely, as well as doing my own research by listening to and reading various opinions on the matters most important to this country. Mitt Romney has been difficult to follow, since he has changed his opinion on many issues since he became the Republican front-runner. Then miraculously during this past week’s debate, he completely reversed everything he has been saying during his entire campaign, much to the shock of President Barack Obama. Even credible news programs cannot believe the lies Romney spewed forth.

If you can remove your racial blinders for just a minute, you need to honestly listen to what these candidates are saying. President Obama has been consistent during his presidency and campaign. He knows what he stands for and what he wants to accomplish, and I honestly believe he does want what’s best for this country. Mistakes are made by every president, but he truly understands that middle-America does not make $200,000 per year, which was a quote from Romney. Republicans have problems with a lot their statements on the statistics of unemployment, actual debt, actual spending, etc. Romney wants his rich friends to stay that way, and the big banks love him for his views. Remember 2008!

Don’t believe the hype by Romney’s campaign. Listen to his “47 percent video” — that’s the true Romney. What is said behind closed doors is more real than anything he will ever say in public. Those “entitlements” he talks about are Social Security (for which all of us have paid for), Medicare, Planned Parenthood, and so on. Regardless of how you feel about President Obama’s health care initiative, there are a lot more good things in that bill than bad. If Romney strips this act on his first day, (not sure how that will occur), we all will be left to the mercy of the insurance companies. And we all know they have our best interests at heart.

Things I know for sure:

• My investments have increased these past four years.

• Housing sales are turning around (my neighborhood from 10 percent to 5 percent for sale)

• People I know who had no health care coverage now have it.

• Women don’t need to fear that the Democrats will take them back to the 1950s.

• Equality among all isn’t just something you say (by the Republicans), it’s being worked for (by the Democrats).

If you believe in this president, your vote is critical to preserving what you already have.

Judy Williams

Hebron