1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Presidential Election: Romney vs. Obama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Apr 11, 2012.

1. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

At this point, sure... he knows his plan is filled with holes and has no time to fill them as the boat sinks. . He has had time. His job has been campaigning for 5+ years.

Do you think his plan is awesome?

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Also from that article:

The new numbers, of course, don’t include much or any data collected after Tuesday night’s debate. It will take days to determine what effect that might have had.
    Gallup continues to show a better picture for Romney than most other pollsters. A Washington Post-ABC News poll released Monday showed Obama at 49 percent and Romney at 46 percent, while a Politico-George Washington University poll showed Obama at 49 percent and Romney at 48 percent.
    In addition, Democrats have cast doubt on Gallup’s likely-voter model, with the Obama campaign releasing an entire memo on it earlier this week when Gallup showed Romney opening up a similar lead in the 12 most competitive states in the country.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Romney did win the popular vote.

If your first introduction to the election and Romney was the first debate, he would like like a much better candidate than reality. But, the important swing states have been inundated with ads, so the debate would not have been their first impression.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Kind of agree with you here (although maybe from the other side of the prism).

Romney knows the first debate was the first time many have really paid attention to him for the first time. All those TV ads, undecideds might tune them out a bit. So in the debate, a lot of people didn't know the "I am pro-choice, I am pro-life", "I favor strong gun laws, I joined the NRA 5 years ago to look butch", "I'm Milquetoast Mitt, I'm Severely Conservative Mitt". Especially if the President showed up needing 4 espresso shots just to lift his head.

The popular vote will be close. Obama should carry the electoral college, but if he loses, it'll be because of his performance in the 1st debate + what happened in Libya (which I don't blame him for personally, but perception is everything, and it looks to me like terrorists waited for us to relax before striking at us somewhere).

8. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

people didn't blame Bush's negligence for 9/11 in 2004, or Reagan for the Beirut barracks bombing both of which dwarf this, and most people think Benghazi is an early 90's post-punk band.

Among hardcore partisans and Beltway types the benghazi crap resonates and perpetuates, but out in the reality based community nobody cares or even knows enough to do so if they did.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Disturbingly funny. I'm sure no conservative wing nut in this country ever discussed assassinating Obama.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yep posters on this very board has wished or suggested harm on Obama

12. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Yeah, it's a joke. Republican's policies are clear as daylight; if voters can't see through the sketchy act then it no worse than falling for Madoff ponzi scheme. I'm going to magically make everything better; you just have to believe me LOL

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hope & Change.

14. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Lol way off target. Try again. I'm independent of party unlike you. I vote based on the issues and facts and what I believe is best for the country instead of being a Fox News or Republican's puppet. Personally, I hoped for an alternative to Obama but if Romney can't even run a campaign without slip-up, how the hell is he going to run a country?

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

About those Gallop Polls.... From a few days ago

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/17/1145957/-About-that-Gallup-poll

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

17. Major

Major Member

I think all of this is overrated. The South is the only area that's uniformly one party, so of course it will show huge edges there. But O+6 in the West doesn't tell me anything. He has a huge lead in California, which is more populous than all the other western states combined. So him leading the west, and knowing he's dominating CA, doesn't tell me how he's doing in Colorado or Nevada. Similarly, him leading the East includes the Northeast where he will dominate. That doesn't tell me anything about PA or VA (assuming they qualify as "East" here).

Polls are polls. There will be outliers on both sides and the truth will be somewhere in between. Trying to spin every poll to your party's favor seems like a fool's errand. No one on the left had a problem with the Gallup poll when it showed an Obama lead; and no one on the right was touting it either. This is the value of a site like 538 that takes out all the spin and bias and just processes the numbers for what they are and analyzes them as best as possible in an objective way.

18. basso

Supporting Member

RCP may be unbiased, but not 538. you should check the rest of the latter's url.

but i agree with the rest.

19. Major

Major Member

538 talks a lot about polls and explains why polls might be outliers and the like, often with a Dem tilt. But there's no bias in their analytical methodology or the numbers they generate. Their methods are available to see - can you point me to anything in their statistical analysis that creates a bias for either party?

20. basso

Supporting Member

SIlver's methodology is NOT available for all to see. some things one can infer, but he's got his own secret sauce.