1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Draft Rumors: Would Portland do a Lowry trade?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Egghead, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Kendall marshall anyone? I keep on hearing lillard this lillard that what about Kendall Marshall he is the best PG in the draft to me (don't know if I spelled lillard right but o well)

2. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Ha that whould be awesome trading our trash for lottery picks. Doubt that happens, Les doesn't want 6 rookies(including Morris and Smith).

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets have a team option on Budinger . . . for the league minimum! If they wanted to, they can just exercise the option on draft night and then trade him. With that cheap salary, it's a no-brainer to pick up the option, regardless.

During the 2007 NBA Draft, the Bobcats traded the #8 overall pick (Brendan Wright) to the Warriors for Jason Richardson.

4. Ken8

Ken8 Member

I get what you mean with the 6 rookies but I do think it might actually bring in more fans to watch the exciting young players haha. Anyway, we are mostly trading our best players and the rest are all the risk that we take with the young players.

5. BimaThug

Supporting Member

No offense, but you've run afoul of almost every salary cap rule with your proposed trades. Those trades are not realistic or even possible.

Again, not trying to be a dick about it; but I saw that someone replied to your post with enthusiasm, so I didn't want this talk to go any further.

Welcome to the BBS, though. ;)

6. Ken8

Ken8 Member

Get what you mean. I was going to put a sentence saying that I am not sure whether the salary rules will allow this but just something that I thought about. How I wish! HAHA. Thanks btw.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We can draft Marshall I think he will be something like rondo and even though we got dragic because if dragic stock is sky high by next trade deadline and the oppurtunity to get a star becomes available we can trade dragic and Marshall can step right in he is a true PG

8. Since75

Since75 Member

Bima, just curious. Why doesn't this idea work capwise. It seems that the money would work. Is it the issue of trading Beasley twice wouldn't work?

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

As far as I can tell, Minnesota trade should work because they are under the cap. The other trades involve the Rockets giving away contracts and taking on none. Hence, the other team must be able to eat their entire salaries under the cap for it to work. Portland can't eat ~$13mil combined for Lowry/Dalembert. Detroit and GS don't have enough to eat Beasley/Patterson's combined ~$10mil.

10. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

Stop the madness!

Sam Dalembert, Lowry and #14 WILL NOT get us two higher Lottery picks.

This isn't like June of 1999 where the Raptors stupidly offered 2 Lottery picks for an aging and declining Hakeem Olajuwon (and the Rockets even more stupidly declined).

Ask yourself a question from Portland's perspective..."How does this trade make us better?"

You have to really entice the Blazers to give up their shot at a potential superstar (#6 pick).

Lowry, #14, #16 and Chandler Parsons would probably do the trick. Hopefully they'll accept less, but if not....I say we still make the deal.

I'm not taking cheap shots at you here. I'm just saying that it's not enough to give the Blazers some crap we're sick of and expect the #6 pick in return.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why 2 players and two draft picks that are late or close to lottery for one pick?

That's too much.... Stern would intervene if it were not the Rockets

12. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

Because a potential superstar is involved. Teams don't just give up those for above-average PGs and mediocre Draft picks.

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Beasley is an impending free agent and, therefore, cannot be traded.

Golden State and Detroit will not have sufficient cap space to eat salary from the Rockets until July 11, so those trades couldn't be done until well after the draft.

And to the extent that the Rockets were taking back salary and even if Beasley could be traded to Houston (he can't), the Rocket would not be able to use Beasley's salary in combination with any other salaries for matching purposes.

14. Since75

Since75 Member

Thanks for the clarification Bima!

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I think we should go after some 2nd rd draft picks, I am sure we can find some undervalued sleeper players there.

16. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

I agree. Robert Sacre and Scott Machado (as if I could bang that drum any harder).

17. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Blazers reporter Chris Haynes:

18. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Told you guys. Why would they give that pick up for Lowry especially since other pgs are available in free agency. If anything, they will try to move up.

The kings are the team we should really be looking at. I want Robinson on this team.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Kings would probably trade their pick for a point guard or a veteran power forward (Scola?).

Coangelo also said he didn't want too many rookies on his team his year, so maybe we can get the Raptors pick w/o giving up our own?