1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Cell Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I honestly wouldn't be able to answer considering no one knows what the U.S variants of the GS3 will look like. Also, the US versions are likely to get different processors to accommodate our networks. If rumors are true, the iPhone will have LTE, and since T-Mobile doesn't have that yet, that would be one reason to choose it over the GS3. That is of course if you care about the network.

If you're trying to save money, I'd stick with T-Mobile. If you're really trying to save money, you should consider not signing anymore contracts, buy an unlocked device, and put it on a nice AT&T MVNO such as Red Pocket. Keep in mind you could always purchase an unlocked iPhone or unlocked GS3
    http://goredpocket.com

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Interesting, I never thought soft keys could be a problem. So if ROMs take out the soft keys, how does that work? Or are they just replacing them with their own?

3. Scionxa

It's not that they take them out, it's that they optimize them to remove the lag it causes. Basically to explain it in a better way is that Google made it so that the keys have this slight animation when you press them to mimic a real hardware key however the animation itself will cause lag all over the place when other animations are trying to run at the same time.

Oh, and there are mods to completely remove the softkeys but it's not really something I'd use daily as it renders a lot of stuff useless but ROMs include it for full screen gaming on certain app's.

I'm hopeful it's sorted out with that Motorola device. As much of a Motorola hater that I have been. I'm down with whoever is willing to invest in battery improvements. I'm not all that hyped for quad core processors or anything like that so I'm definitely looking at what Motorola is going to bring to the table in the future.

4. professorjay

Understood.

What have your concerns been with Motorola? Unfortunately options and rumors on Verizon seem to be few and far between and the HD looks like the only decent candidate in the next few months for me. Do you still plan on jumping ship?

5. Scionxa

Well I've always been a power user who likes to root and mod my devices and Motorola phones always have locked boot loaders and have been very restrictive with that regard. Also, the screens they use aren't exactly great in comparison to LCD2 or SAMOLED. Something without Pentile Matrix would be awesome

On the other hand, Motorola phones have superior build quality and radio's (Reception) .

I'm actually planning on leaving Verizon, so I'm not sure but I really want something with a nice battery. If the HD comes as a GSM version I'll definitely get it.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

So the iPhone is coming to Virgin Mobile.

Phone won't be subsidized much, but the monthly cost ($30) is about 70 bucks less than what you would pay with any other carrier. Plus no contract.

[​IMG]

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The US variants of the GS3 that have LTE will include the snapdragon s4 which is receiving amazing reviews. The American version of the HTC one x has the same chip. Also the LTE version will have twice the RAM with 2 gigs which I believe is a first with smartphones. The U.S. variant will look exactly the same as the world versions.

8. Scionxa

Link?

It's coming to Cricket too, officially in July.

Edit: Wow,
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/iphone

9. Scionxa

Yeah, I don't mind the S4 at all. I would say it has better performance than the Tegra 3 in the International One X. I'm glad Sammy finally said screw the carriers and made them stick with the euro design. However, I'm not sure if I agree with 2 gigs of RAM. If I'm not mistaken I think that would make the device consume even more battery. Not a first, but definitely a first here in the states. I think LG made a phone a few months ago with two gigs of RAM.

What sucks is that Apple is upset about "S-voice" and is already seeking to go back into court. Patent trolls

10. fchowd0311

The s4 on the GS3 is built on 28nm architecture which consumes way less power on current devices that us 45nm process.

11. Scionxa

Awesome, you going for the S3?

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I had to wait an extra week for my EVO LTE because of the Apple Patent trolls. They know they're losing the battle now.:grin:

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

What has me really curious is if the Sprint/Verizon variants of the S3 will actually have a latent GSM radio inside them that can be activated by some hackery. If this turns out to be the case, I will absolutely be shelling out cash to buy one off contract.

It's the great dilemma I'm facing now - don't want to leave Sprint, but I need a GSM phone for international travel.

14. Scionxa

The Verizon version will have it http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/0...obal-roaming-capabilities-later-via-software/

Much like the HTC Rezound, someone on XDA figured out it had global radio's, fixed the RIL, and it even worked on american carriers.

15. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

So does that mean if you're able to enable this feature that you'd be able to use this phone on Verizon's network or possibly AT&T and T-mobile?

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

For those in the know....

Does it look like there will be a new Windows phone for Verizon (or any carrier not named AT&T) anytime soon?

17. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

GS3 on Sprint for me. Will set records in terms of sales.

18. professorjay

That physical button on the S3 is annoying me. And I really like the Nexus setup with the dedicated multitask button. Maybe I'm just OCD. Otherwise I'd jump on the S3 provided it had good radio reviews on Verizon. Thanks to scion I'm well aware of how many people hate their Nexus on Verizon right now.

I haven't found a nice way to multitask right now, I don't like holding down the home button for a few seconds, and I'm tepid on the multitask apps I've tried so far.

I'll try an S3 out in store when it's available, but I'm leaning toward a pass for now.

19. fchowd0311

I'm in quite a bit of a dilemma. I currently have a galaxy nexus on Verizon. I'm one of the lucky ones that upgraded and was grandfathered into LTE which means I have unlimited LTE data. However I believe Verizon changed their policy. Now if you renew your contract and receive a phone at the subsidized price you will be locked in to the new data plans which are a joke when the phone you want is capable of 30+ Mbit/s and has the hardware to stream hd content. I can renew my contract in October so I will probably pass on the GS3 since it honestly is not a huge leap from my current phone. I might not even upgrade my contract and buy a phone at the unsubsidized price to keep my unlimited data plan which is money on my galaxy nexus. The next phone I want to buy will be when jellybean is released.

20. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

The best part about the GS3 or even the HTC one X that i like over the galaxy nexus and I hope it's confirmed in later reviews is the battery life. I hate having to be attached to the power adapter everywhere i go.