1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Cell Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 21, 2012.

1. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I have a EVO 3D, but want that 4.7 inch screen...
    Checked my upgrade, not able to upgrade til 4/1/13...
    Damn damn damn.

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Sell your phone on swappa.com, then pay difference and buy at full price?

3. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

That HTC One X looks awesome. I didn't think I'd really care to upgrade my phone (Droid Inc) but now I'm really interested. I've been eligible for an upgrade for a few months already. Unfortunately it looks like Verizon passed on it. Love the service but Verizon always seems to lag on the hardware.

So what's considered the best Android phone on Verizon right now? And what's coming up in the near future? Is it worth waiting for?

4. Scionxa

Galaxy S3 is coming to Verizon, however Samsung makes atrocious CDMA/LTE radio's in it's phones so I'm probably going to pass. The Incredible 4G is an HTC coming out on Verizon but it is not considered a "ONE" device. I love Verizon's service too but I'm seriously contemplating on leaving due to the terrible phone selection.

As far as the best Android phone on Verizon now I would say Galaxy Nexus and/or Droid Razr Maxx just because of it's phenomenal battery life and radio signal performance.

#64 Scionxa, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. professorjay

Thanks for the info! Are Samsung radios really that bad? I can wait for the S3 if it weren't the case. Or maybe I'll just hold tight for now.

6. Scionxa

They are not terrible but not great, and several articles have been published trying to refute the issue. However, in real world testing scenarios, my girlfriend's iPhone is able to hold onto a 3G signal a heck of a lot better than my Nexus ever could.

Also, here at my job my Nexus would sometime switches between 3g and 4g, my co-workers Bionic doesn't. I thought it may have been my phone but another co-worker with a Verizon Nexus complains of the same thing too lol.

My Thunderbolt held a 4GLTE signal really really well. As far as GSM Nexus goes, I hear they don't have an issue with signal.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Just wore the battery down to 3% from my first full charge after fifteen hours. I consider that pretty good considering I was getting like five on my Hero.

I browsed the web a total of thirty minutes, watched one four minute YouTube video, had WiFi on for about three hours, took a ton of pictures, sent and received a total of about fifty texts, no calls, though.

All in all, not bad at all, considering the battery may get better with a couple charges. This was all done on 3g only.

Much easier to post on here, too.

8. Two Sandwiches

Double post. Sorry.

9. Scionxa

Just ordered an unlocked HTC ONE X from Amazon :)

Can't wait til it gets here. I'm going to miss Verizon and it's LTE, but HSPA+ from AT&T gets about 5-9 mbps where I live. I'm going to use the MVNO Red Pocket in the meantime. Not worried about my phone number as I can easily use Google Voice.

After playing with a Sense 4 ROM on an HTC Sensation, I think I'm going to try and stay stock for as long as possible. Maybe this is the first phone I don't root, but I've yet to find one lol.

Eddie,
    Are you using the stock Sense Launcher, or have you tried a replacement Android 4.0 launcher such as Apex Launcher?

10. Two Sandwiches

I'm using stock Sense. I like it.

11. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Still using a G2. I like it so much that I don't even want to move up to a better phone.

12. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I was wondering should I wait for the razr HD or just get the razr maxx. Will the Razr HD have the same battery as the razr maxx.

13. Scionxa

Luckily was able to cancel my ONE X order from Amazon. Definitely some glaring issues I wasn't willing to take any chances on .

Unfortunately, I ended up with some screen protectors and a case so if any of you have an AT&T ONE X. I'll sell them cheap to you before I resort to returning the items

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What's wrong with the One X? You waiting for a GS3?

15. professorjay

After doing some brief research over the weekend I decided to not get the Razr Maxs nor Nexus. Although if I had to pick it would be the Maxx.

I'm going to wait it out for the Razr HD at the very least. Call me OCD, but I want touch screen buttons and having those buttons match ICS as intended. Which is why I'll probably pass on the Galaxy 3 but hopefully the HD will meet those requirements (among many others). I hope it will have the same maxx sized battery but I suppose you could just buy a bigger battery if not.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

When the hell is Iphone 5 coming out? My contract is up for renewal October of this year and I wants an iphone!

17. Scionxa

HTC One X is currently suffering through a ton of quality control issues. There's certain models made in their Taiwanese factory that suffer from screen ripples, and there is also an 8 page thread on XDA (Support on Rootzwiki is non existant for this device) how bad the compass and GPS is acting . Looks like it's an issue with the Panasonic sensor in the device. I know the model numbers to look out for, HTC changed the way the serials are written to reflect date it was manufactured and what factory it came from but considering I have to import this device, there's no way for me to verify this without some seller being relatively tech savvy.

I'm trying to stay away from Samsung at the moment, I am always let down by something. I'm extremely picky about things so the phone is probably perfect for most users.

I'm actually thinking of buying a gingerbead phone. The Droid Razr Maxx just got released in Europe and is compatible with AT&T's HSPA+. Battery life on the GSM version of it is WAYYYY better than the Verizon version. I'm talking like 9 hours of screen on time, or about 2 days of mediocre use. (Obviously dependent on usage, but we all know GSM phones use less battery than LTE)

At this point, I need someone to stick a 3300+mah battery in their phone like Moto is doing.

18. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

I am up for an upgrade with tmobile, for 3 lines, should i get some s3 when it come out next month or wait till november and jump ship to att and get the iphone?

please respond

19. Scionxa

It will likely have the same battery and based on leaked pictures it might have the screen keys instead of hardware, I personally HATE the built in soft keys of the Nexus. Without tweaking it's SystemUI.apk it causes LAG throughout transitions, and animations. Most custom ROMS for the Nexus have in fact removed it because it slows things down. I'm not saying it's going to suck on that phone, but if they choose to go with the stock AOSP version, it will. Knowing Motorola, they will probably tweak it to go with their UI. Which BTW, I think their ICS UI is pretty good

There's some videos out there of Motorola showcasing it.