1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Cell Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 21, 2012.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yeah... you won't regret going to verizon seeing that you're in houston (but your wallet will). 4g lte is faster than my home comcast connection... indoor or out.

2. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

The biggest selling factor of the Nexus line, timely updates and support from Google, is a flat out lie when you look at how long it took the Nexus One to get Gingerbread, and the Nexus S to get ICS. Yes you can rely on the XDA developers to get you updated, but the roms are mostly a crap shoot with each of them having at least some issue like no GPS, bad battery life etc. If you're going to root and rom it, I would just go with a device that will sell a lot (more development) and has top of the line hardware.

3. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Not many of the ROM's actually have those issues. Most of their ROMS for the Galaxy Nexus are pretty good. You do have to read the comments though and make an informed decision like anything else. I'd imagine those are issues with **** ROMS, but not any ROM worth its salt.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Well if you're going to root and rom it, from experience, the Nexus line has the best development community.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm curious to see what Houston residents on this board have to say about Sprint's LTE when it is up and running there in a couple of months.

I will be lucky to see it before 2014 where I am.

The more I read about the HTC One X, the better it sounds. It may be perfect for me. The camera looks absolutely awesome, which is something I value. I will post a video at the bottom of this showing off the camera. On top of that, a 16 GB phone, with another 25 GB of dropbox storage over two years, and now I have no need for SD cards.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3cezIDzxOnk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#25 Two Sandwiches, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  6. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

Need some help here....

Im thinking of switching from the Iphone 4 to the Samsung Galaxy S2. Has anyone made this switch? Pros? Cons?

I've had an Iphone since the day it 1st came out

7. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I agree on updates not being as timely as Google says they are but ROMS aren't that buggy on phones manufactured to run AOSP. However they can be buggy as hell if for example you're trying to put AOSP ICS on an HTC Incredible with a snap dragon processor or so.

As far as development goes I'd go with devices that HTC and Samsung make..they are GPL compliant and publish kernel sources rather quickly.

LG is extremely non compliant with the GPL and will publish sources whenever they feel like it...

Motorola? Joke... (in regards to development friendly)

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Didn't switch from the iPhone 4 but from the 3GS and I love the Samsung much more than my iPhone.

Sprint (Credo) voice and data availability is probably as bad or worse than AT&T is in west Spring area though.

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Yeah, this is definitely true, though I guess people should come to accept Google/carriers not living up to their promises when it comes to actually getting updates. Still, at least the Nexus line will be 'pure' Android so that's a plus.

10. Two Sandwiches

Even though it could have an insanely long, goofy name, this could be awesome news for Sprint Customers when it comes to the HTC One X on Sprint.

http://androidandme.com/2012/03/smartphones-2/htc-one-x-coming-to-sprint-as-evo-one-in-june/

Last month we heard the HTC One X was coming to Sprint and today Jerry Hildenbrand of Android Central reports the device could launch as the “HTC EVO ONE.” This make perfect sense because Sprint has been using HTC for their flagship EVO brand, and want to keep the series going. The final device name could still be different, because we all know Sprint wants to throw “4G LTE” on the end before it hits stores.

Sprint’s version was previously rumored to launch in June, so that month is looking better and better. The global version of the One X is coming to other carriers next month, but it’s likely that Sprint took the extra time to customize the look of the phone (and wait till their initial LTE markets are ready this summer).

Sprint already has a press event scheduled with HTC on April 4th and Nick Grey will be headed to New York next week to check out the event. Be on the lookout for his hands on report.

Rumored specs of the EVO One include:

Black and red, thin, and has a kickstand as well.
    Released June 6
    4.7 inch, 720p AMOLED screen
    1.5 dual-core Krait processor (Snapdragon S4)
    2650 mAh non-removal battery
    16GB internal memory
    microSD card slot
    Android 4.0 with 4.0 sense
    8-megapixel camera with 2.0 front-facing camera
    LTE
    Beats by Dre audio

----------------------

The extended battery and the microSD slot would be huge additions, for me at least.

11. Scionxa

2650mah battery. Interesting.

12. myco

myco Contributing Member

I'm able to upgrade now and am looking for recommendations. Still rocking my Galaxy 1 Captivate w/ ICS. I'm intrigued by Windows phones, but they don't seem to get much attention around these parts. However, I've grown so accustomed to Swype that it's probably a deal breaker if a phone doesn't have it. The Lumia 900 does look intriguing though...I think there may have been a thread on it a while back.

P.S. Scionxa, what's your beef with XDA?

13. Scionxa

Windows phones aren't that bad. They're pretty fluid in terms of speed even with limited specs. However, the lack of apps is pretty much what would stray me away from a WP device. Those Nokia phones look beautiful though.

That site has become a dump full of trolls, moderators with personal vendettas toward certain developers, people with attitudes toward end users just because they ask simple questions. I'm pretty knowledgeable in certain aspects of Android (not everything though, I learn something new everyday) but I can't respect a site in which users and moderators flame each other for asking questions. (Even if it's posted in the right section).

I go to Rootzwiki because fortunately, my device is fully supported there (In fact, if you have a Verizon Nexus, you're wasting your time going to XDA) and there's a stronger sense of community. Just my opinion though. With some devices, XDA is the most popular forum and you really have no choice but to deal with it for development

14. Prince

Prince Member

15. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

The HTC One X looks amazing. I thought it was going to be another HTC phone in the throng of phones they release monthly.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/02/htc-one-x-review/

16. Two Sandwiches

Just came in looking to bump this thread about the HTC One X.

Sprint and HTC are having a joint announcement tomorrow night in New York City. A leaked picture that could be Sprint's version shows a possible dedicated camera button which would put the phone over the edge. Sprint's variant will also have a bigger battery, the kickstand, and possible a micro sd slot. If all of those are true, I think that would give Sprint an edge over AT&T's version by a wide margin.

The One X is apparently (as I posted above) going to be slightly modified and released as the newest Evo. It will probably be my next phone, barring a shocker from the Galaxy S3 (or a much earlier than anticipated release date).

The One X is the real deal. It's everything I want in a phone.

#36 Two Sandwiches, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  17. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

The Evo One (I presume that's what it will be called) apparently will have a humongous 2600mAH battery or something like that, taking an obvious cue from the Droid RAZR MAXX. (Edit: I see this was posted earlier)

I still hate Sense though, and that seems to be the singular flaw in an otherwise great phone by all accounts. Apparently they still haven't toned it down enough.

18. Scionxa

I've said I hated Sense in the past as well. Have you played around with Sense 4.0? I played around with it for a bit. It's not too bad actually. Either that, or AOSP is boring me.

19. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

LOVE the SGS2

Screen Sized
    Widgets
    Speakerphone
    Gorgeous Screen
    Very intuitive

Make the switch . You won't regret it.

20. Two Sandwiches

The Sprint Evo 4g LTE looks pretty good, other than the camera cover, which is a glossy plastic that I am not a big fan of. It's got a kickstand that lets it sit many different ways, a microSd slot (other versions don't have this), and dedicated camera button (no carriers have this, either...puts the phone over the top, imo), a 2000 mAH battery (less than thought, more than ATT), and HD voice (when Sprint launches it).

$199.99 Pre-order May 7th. No launch date yet. If the launch date is in May, I will pre-order, depending on what Samsung shows.

#40 Two Sandwiches, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012