1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 BCS National Championship: (1) LSU vs. (2) Alabama

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Dec 4, 2011.

?

Who do you think will win this matchup?

1. LSU

56.4%
  2. Alabama

43.6%
  1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I have no problem with an Alabama/LSU rematch on the merits. I see no reason to say another team deserved a shot at the title over either of those two.

That said, the lack of a playoff system is just crazy.

BCS defenders often say "The regular season IS THE PLAYOFFS! That's what makes it great!"

Well now you have a team playing a team for the title that it already lost to in that so called "playoff."

3. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

yeah im sure thats true lol ive been around bama fans my whole life and they are the worse fans ive even known, some are really cool but the ratio of r****ded to cool is like 9 to 2, ive even given bama props and then have been called a hater in the past, literally...i just thought it was funny that a bama fan says that the same teams shouldnt play again but hey maybe thats me lol

4. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

what happens if bama wins by like 1 points? do the computers still calculate lsu at #1 bc the gap is so big? serious question...i think its safe to assume that the ap championship is going to lsu no matter what but that poll doesnt count. what happens then?

5. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

*ever, *point

fixed

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Exactly. The system made the right choice, I think. Now, the system is lousy, but that's not Alabama, LSU, or even the SEC's fault.

And I think this will be a good game.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Who would have thought that Baylor beating OU would have NC implications?

If not for that RG III TD pass, OSU would probably be playing for the NC. And I personally think they would beat them too.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Likewise, that pass probably won the Heisman. Even though Griffin's game against UT sealed the deal, that play against OU was his defining moment and what made him a household name. Amazing how that one drive decided both the Heisman as well as the national championship matchup.

9. justtxyank

You think RG is a lock for the Heisman?

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Lot of bias in eyeball tests.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Sure you can, if you are an SEC team. In that case you can lose at home and still get to play for the title (Florida).

12. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

If you take off "state" off their jersey they are probably in. People get caught up in names...

13. justtxyank

We had a 1 loss Oklahoma in the polls and a 1 loss Alabama in the polls on November 6th. Oklahoma was 6th in those polls and Alabama was 3rd. A week later when both were still 1 loss teams Alabama was still 3rd and Oklahoma was 5th.

This isn't bias against Oklahoma. The vast majority of people who matter believe that Alabama was the 2nd best team in the country. The only time they were going to put someone in over Alabama was if it was an undefeated team. If Oklahoma was in the same position as Ok. St (being 1 loss vs Bama 1 loss) it would play out the same way. How do we know? Because for two straight weeks we got to see that in the polls.

14. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

15. Major

Major Member

This was great:

Three Harris voters (former Notre Dame player Derrick Mayes, former Hawaii coach Bob Wagner and former Iowa sports information director George Wine) voted Oklahoma State No. 6. Wagner could mount a decent defense for his choices, but Mayes and Wine might want to avoid traveling in the state of Oklahoma for a while. Aside from ranking Oklahoma State No. 6, Mayes ranked Oklahoma No. 9 and left Georgia off his ballot entirely. Wine, meanwhile, ranked Houston No. 5. Maybe he thought his ballot was due before the Cougars got thrashed by Southern Miss on Saturday.

16. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Alabama logic fail.

[​IMG]

17. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I blame Iowa State

18. Major

Major Member

If you're LSU in 2007, you can lose two games to unranked opponents, one during the last weekend of the regular season, and still be given the benefit of the doubt.

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

See this is the thing I get annoyed about. Bama is the 2nd best team because of what?

1. the "eyeball" test.... because there is no bias in that.
    2. look at all those future NFL players.... many teams have tons of NFL prospects
    3. they play in the SEC.... I don't care what the SEC did last season or the season before the 30 seasons before. We are not choosing a team based on Lifetime Achievement. We are choosing a team on what happened this year.

I could just as easily say Bama screwed themselves by losing at home to LSU when LSU only scored 6 pts in regulation.

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I blame Texas A&M.