1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012/2013 Post Dwightmare To Tank or Not to Tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Aug 10, 2012.

Tags:
?

Should the Rockets "tank" in 2012/2013?

1. Yes

75.3%
  2. No

24.7%
  1. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Morey & his staff believe in trying to win with the players you have and then selling high on those players once they've proven they can help a team win. When you play well, you increase the value of the many players on your team, but the downside is that you also hurt your draft pick. This, as opposed to diminishing the value of your players by having them play terribly for the sake of increasing a single draft pick. It's a terribly risky proposition.

Instead of tanking for the season intentionally, I think the Rockets would rather play through the season and again (sigh) trade their draft picks and players for high picks in the 2013 draft, if they feel the player they'd be selecting is worth it. Even then, the draft is no guarantee that you'll get the player you want. Just look at all the teams that tanked and have never been able to subsequently escape the lottery. So many of the top picks aren't even taken by the worst teams anyway: Duncan, Yao, Howard, Rose, Irving (Clips pick), Davis.

Not tanking lets you sell high on players like Carl Landry, Aaron Brooks, and Kyle Lowry... players who would have otherwise been worthless. Winning seasons and shrewd trades have kept this franchise afloat, inching towards that better future, albeit painfully slowly. We went from Losing T-Mac, Yao and Artest simultaneously and a roster filled with dead weight to one of the youngest squads in the league and a bevy of draft picks. The Rockets aren't anywhere close to where we want to be, but I think that adopting a tanking philosophy now would be a terrible idea. We would just be killing the development and trade value of our youngsters for the chance at scoring a top pick who might have a chance of turning into a superstar. I think we just have too much to lose at this point to take that route. However, one gripe I have with this strategy, is that the front office cannot let assets walk away for nothing like they did with Dragic. It is absolutely imperative that they retain their valuable players and trade them for draft picks or else we're just spinning our wheels. Together, letting Dragic walk and amnestying Scola for nothing was, in my mind, as big a fail as losing Howard to LA.

That being said, if we had some kind of guarantee that by tanking just 1 year we could net a superstar like the Spurs did for Duncan or the Lakers did for Bynum, I'd be all for it. That's not how it is unfortunately.

2. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/urBtjHLY0RM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Tank? Hell no. Play the rooks, shoot for trades that add more draft picks, and get young talent, hell yes.

4. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Well said, I think if you don't let the young guys play up to their ability that you hurt their value and development.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

A scary thought. trade Matin asap. Addition by subraction if necessary.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I can't ether unless atleast 2/3 of the anti-"tank" folks just view tanking as deliberatey trying to lose games.

7. zzpot

zzpot Member

We just met in a bar the other day/night and you are still drunk. "I said" Lets just play ball and see what happens. Our meeting could have been inline at the gas staystion or the tire store, because I have not been to a bar/sports bar in Houston or other places in 6 years or more.... So your diatribe is a function of a moot point.

Your BS is now well noted, and you are dismissed from any and all reverent posts.

ZZPOT has posted and said so.!! :mad:

8. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Can someone translate? Beyond confused.

9. zzpot

zzpot Member

One last note on the timeline of your post... you are CHERRY picking after the real facts. Dwightmare to the Lakers's trade is done.... Are you going against all of the people that said "Get Howard" at any cost for months and months? Are you against all of the people that posted how we should "TANK and trade YAO and do this and that" to rebuild this team??? ARE you THIS GENIUS PERSON TODAY!!

You are not a genius... you are a r****d that never had an idea. You are not even awake.

Stop posting others Ideas!

zzopt has spoken !!;)

10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

This.

11. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Dude, I'd reply to your post with a serious answer if I had any idea what you were trying to say. I realize how much of a drag it can be, but I highly recommend asking an adult to proofread your posts before hitting the submit button.

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

With our abysmal roster tanking is finally a reality. About three years too late but at least we are now coming to our senses.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We need a top 3 pick next year.

It didn't hurt OKC to lose for a year.

14. role_50

role_50 Member

TANK! That's the best thing Houston can do. Those of you who believe in rebuilding and think the Rockets have not been, when you lose your core players such as Yao and T-mac your rebuilding. Ask yourselves who is Houston's core player(s)? The other thing on the to do list is to FIRE DM!!! This wait till next year crap has got old son, if you want to start all over then start ALL OVER from the top to the bottom!

15. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

So u want to lose intentionally to get a 1st overall pick. Let's say u did that, and that pick turned out To be LeBron of today. How is it going to win u a championship? One superstar doesn't win u an immediate championship.

As someone who enjoys the game, it doesn't make sense for me to watch a full year of half-effort, unexciting, unsportsmanlike bad games, in hope of getting a superstar on the team.

We should give our young players their chance to play to their full potential and hopefully some will evolve into superstars.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Not if K-Mart is on the roster.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He'll disappear in the fourth when most games are decided

18. butterball

butterball Member

No to tanking. Just play the rooks and let the chips fall where they may, even if that means playoffs. We need to unload the New Jersey obligation. This is the year to do it. The draft is weak and we already have the Toronto pick. Instead of rooting for our guys to fail, just root for the Raptors to keep out of the playoffs.

19. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

No one should ever be ok with losing on purpose.I don't think most pro-tankers would even feel this way.

I can't imagine a coach or players ever being on board with intentionally losing.We want our young players giving 110% every single game.

We should have our young guy's getting max floor time,and also avoid adding veteran guy's without upside.Maybe someone that's a high character vet,for a learning/locker room presence,but he shouldn't take min. from young guy's.