1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012/2013 Post Dwightmare To Tank or Not to Tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Aug 10, 2012.

Tags:
?

Should the Rockets "tank" in 2012/2013?

1. Yes

75.3%
  2. No

24.7%
  1. WNBA

WNBA Member

Stop these talks in loop.

rebuild = tank.
    tank = rebuild.

Intentionally trading away veterans for picks is tanking.

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Tanking is not playing your best with a view towards trying to lose games. The Rockets should absolutely not do this. Their should go young (as they have) and avoid any trades that would impede the progress of the young players. But those players who are on the Rockets team and the team itself should play their hardest and best every night.

Morey is responsible for putting together a roster that will be competitive and that can hopefully compete for NBA Championships. He has done everything that any reasonable person could ask for to try to transform the Rockets into such a team without going through a full rebuilding. It was not to be.

Rebuilding is not tanking. Tanking is when players and coaches effectively throw games. As far as I can tell looking back over the last 30+ years, they never have never done this. And there is no indication that the Rockets intend to do this now.

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Exactly. If some of these young guys have determination, the will to win and heart, they will go through a season or maybe 2 (likely 3) of losing and all it will do is make them hungry.

Superstars are born from being hungry (and talent of course) but you gotta lose to be a winner at some point. Nobody should expect anything to fall in their lap. You have to work for it. These youngsters will either show up and make a name for themselves or they wont. Only time will tell.

Unless you want to talk about the Astros but there is another thread for that because they ****ing suck!

4. ClKent

ClKent Member

I love this roster. Minus Kevin Martin. Its not so much Martin himself. It is the value of him being here of this particular team and its goals that I cant fathom. I think it has no value to have him here. I could be wrong as my wife often says I am(proves to me often). Something just doesnt add up with Kevin Martin mentoring or rather selfishing his way to the starters minutes ahead of Jeremy Lamb. Not sure there is something there for Lamb to learn about this team from Martin of any value. In fact he may learn some bad habits or values from that experience.

I want ultimately the best situation for our rookies. Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, Lowry, Dragic, Hayes, Battier days of barely competing are OVER officially. They need to put a stamp on that by removing Martin as that last remaining remnant that holds on to barely competing and not moving on to rebuilding. Rebuiding starts at a full and complete effort from top to bottom. There is no middle. The middle? The middle is a horrible place you dont want to be unless the rookies get you there by themselves on talent.

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

that's what i thought. we don't really have a choice at this point

6. amaru

amaru Member

I think the plan all along was Dwight or tank........no dwight so that means tank(i.e give young players big minutes)

7. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Wow, any basis in this kind of statement? Better than last year at tanking for sure.

8. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

I said no ,tanking is a bad culture specially with a lot of young players being on the team. Let them play and whatever happens ,happens thats my take

9. Arthurprescott2

So... we're all just arguing over semantics at this point? It seems most of us are saying that the Rockets as presently constituted will be a top 10 lottery team anyway. So no reason to intentionally tank. I'm right there too - just hoping there's no desperate attempt to add middling talent when the rookies should be getting playing time (if only to see who is useful - not necessarily because I believe some will be great).

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Do you honestly believe a team whose starting lineup has 1 player who has started more than 82 games in his career (and could well be zero soon) .

Most of them are neither mentally nor physically experienced enough in a gruelling 82 game season to maintain consistency (contrary to popular belief, its not really possible to go from a 30 odd game college season to an 82 game professional season and have the physical and mental aptitude to maintain consistency, that's where inexperience kills you).

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So as of 3 days ago we had the assets to make a move for a superstar and because that move didn't happen now DM has nothing to trade and try and become a playoff team again? I agree it seems less likely this offseason and now, but I wouldn't put it past Les/DM to try and take some of those same assets to flip for something theoretically of value (Jefferson, Smith as current mentions) while retaining cap space to try and sign someone else next offseason.

That plan sucks, and would fail, but is a possibility.

12. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

We should have been tanking for the past 2 years. We should do it this year. It want happen though. The rookies will be traded for someone who will lead us nowhere. The same that would have happened if we got Howard. Had we started when we should have, we would have a clear path for the future now. As it is, I see another 14th pick and doing this all again next year.

13. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Why does everyone care so much about making the playoffs? We would make the playoffs with no chance at winning anything. I would rather build a team that has a chance a a ship than one that just makes the playoffs every year for no reason. Denver is a perfect example. They may make the playoffs every year, may even scare a team or 2. That team as constructed will never have a chance to win.

14. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

I believe losing intentionally = bad karma.

15. ClKent

ClKent Member

Never hurt those teams who ended up with stars. The karma that is. In fact I have never seen any cheating hurt a team over the last decade. Spygate, bounty gate, tanking, Tim Duncan, Rockets before the lottery. They all ended up with championships.

16. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Here are the reasons beside pride:
    Cavs, Raptors, Wizzards, Warriors
    For more than 20 years, those were the teams that on a tank treadmill. Don't want to stoop to their level, unless there is a Wilt, Dream, or Shaq in the draft.

17. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I disagree. In 3 years, they can compete with Lakers or even OKC.
    - Kobe, Gasol, Nash will either retired, traded (Gasol), or none factor. New role players for D12.
    - Core of Nuggets will be on their prime. McGee, Lawson, Faried, are all upcoming stars
    - KD and Westbrook will be on max contracts which leaves little cap room, and Harden is long gone by then.
    - Spurs with aging stars in Parker and Ginobilli. Duncan already gone by then.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I can't believe the poll is only 70-30.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I say tank, and tank hard from the start of the season. And make it crystal clear that we are tanking. Run out crazy lineups. Run crazy plays.

This is Stern's NBA. Playing hard to just miss the playoffs only gets out a front row seat to watch the Lakers and the Heat play. If enough teams tank... maybe the league will figure out that a four team league isn't good for the game.

20. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Just say no to tanking unless you have a backroom deal with Stern in place.