1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012/13 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by The Stig, Aug 2, 2012.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Still leaning towards Liverpool, but Everton have appeared as possible suitors. I wonder with RVP leaving for ManU if Arsenal will be interested. Dempsey wants to play in the Champions League.

3. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Man U just landed Van Persie. Big get for them. It will be interesting to see how he plays with guys like Rooney and Hernandez.

4. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

5. The Stig

The Stig Member

United finally signed van Persie! Now I don't know if £24m is totally worth it for a striker who had 1 year left on his current contract plus the fact that he's 29 and injury prone. I am trying to work out how Sir Alex is going to accommodate all these players considering that each player is suited to one system over another.

I'd probably go with something like...

De Gea
    Smalling Rio Vidic Evra
    Carrick Scholes
    Nani Kagawa Rooney
    RVP

or

De Gea
    Smalling Rio Vidic Evra
    Valencia Cleverley Anderson Young
    Kagawa
    RVP

or

De Gea
    Rafael Rio Vidic Evra
    Carrick
    Cleverley Anderson
    Kagawa
    Rooney RVP
    (Diamond formation similar to AC Milan's couple of years ago. Dunno if it will work though)

Lots of options to play with, which could be a good and bad thing for us.

Honestly, I would rather sign Luka Modric for the same amount and I don't know why United didn't commit on pursuing him. A deep lying CM is a bigger need than a striker because I think Welbeck will become a really good player. Only explanation is that ManUtd doesn't want to deal with hardballing Levy or they think Anderson, Fletcher, and Cleverley will stay fit this whole season.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Holy sh.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/engla...lured-robin-van-persie-to?source=breakingnews

The Dutchman is due in Manchester for a medical on Thursday afternoon before he puts pen to paper on a four-year contract understood to be worth £235,000-a-week once image rights are taken into account.

Van Persie knew that, at the age of 29 and in the form of his life, the next contract would be the biggest of his career, and it is no wonder that he did not even want to discuss Arsenal’s proposed £130,000-a-week offer.

That means he will earn £12.2m-a-year, a whopping £48.9m over the course of his United contract.

It is no wonder that he did not even want to discuss Arsenal’s proposed £130,000-a-week offer

In addition to the £24m fee United are paying - with no obvious sell-on potential at the end of the deal - the 19-time English champions will spend a grand total of £72.9m on the former Feyenoord man.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Is there any wonder that he did not even want to discuss Arsenal’s proposed £130,000-a-week offer?

8. leroy

I wonder if he wanted to discuss Arsenal's £130,000-a-week offer...

9. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Unfortunately Fergie is about to find out first hand just how much of an entitled diva RVP is. He did just fine at Arsenal because everyone deferred to him, but he's going to have trouble doing that at ManU, and when RvP can't be the top diva, he sucks and pollutes the locker room. If you don't believe me, just go ask Bert van Marwijk or any of his Oranje teammates.

Plus last season was an aberration. He's never going to replicate his performance from last season again, and good luck trying to keep him upright anyway. This is a bad deal for Manchester United, and I don't really think it makes their team better. It's certainly not what how much they've paid for him.

Truth is Arsenal make out like bandits here. $38 million for a 29-year old perennial injury risk - that's nuts.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

RVP...the Mexican Chicharito?

11. leroy

Wow. That's just dripping in jealousy.

You don't think Ferguson doesn't know how to manage divas? He doesn't have to score 30 goals for ManU just to keep them in the conversation.

12. The Stig

The Stig Member

^ I agree. From Cantona to Beckham to Ronaldo, I think SAF got the divas department under control.

I would like to see us play a 3 back formation against a lesser team or if we are up a man so Evra can get his rest. Something like...

...................De Gea........................
    Smalling......Ferdinand......Vidic..........
    ............Carrick.......Cleverley............
    Nani ...............Kagawa.........A.Young.
    ..............RVP.............Rooney..........

Otherwise, given the fact that Cleverley and Carrick played very well several days ago, I'd go with..

.................De Gea...................
    Rafael.....Ferdinand....Vidic...Evra
    .........Cleverley......Carrick..........
    Nani...........Kagawa........Rooney.
    ...................RVP.......................

United for the Premier League!

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Fergie will go with a 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-3 (the seasons he had Tevez, rooney and Ronaldo up top were big successes). The 4-4-2 mismanages his talent with only 1 point of attack and I don't think he's a fan of it.

De Gea
    Rafael - Rio - Vidic - Evra
    Nani - Kagawa - Cleverly
    Van Persie - Rooney - Wellbeck

Arsenal need a new board, they're an absolute joke in the eyes of world class talent. Shouldn't be the case for one of the top 5 wealthiest clubs in the world. Song will be gone soon.

14. The Stig

The Stig Member

I think that team you listed would really expose the back four. Carrick is an absolute must otherwise we would be leaking 2+ goals a game. Rio,Evra and Vidic are on a steady decline and they both struggle against pacy forwards. 1 or 2 defensive mids are needed now. Our big three should now be Rooney RVP and Kagawa and they need to be on the team sheet for every big game.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That formation would get absolutely raped on defense.

16. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

You're right, careless selection on my behalf.

17. digitalbreach

digitalbreach Member

Premier League - Manchester city )
    La Liga - Barcelona

kind of interested to see PSG play...they are the new man city this year. It took Man City a few seasons to win the EPL.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

ManUTD v ManCTY = Lakers v Heat this year.

Nonetheless, this is the year of the Reds!

YNWA!!!

19. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Oh yeah, I'll say it. Real to repeat in Spain. For no other reason than I want it so it shall be so.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

I would love for R.Madrid to win a double this season with the league and Copa Del Rey, just so we can all point and laugh at Barca. Then maybe Xabi Alonso would return to LFC (I don't what this has to do with anything).