1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2011] What are you reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Yeah, that's the plan. I got both for Christmas, along with my very own copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, as well as Black Hawk Down, Killing Pablo and Keith Richard's autobiography Life (I think that's the title). I love rock & roll insanity, so I'm really looking forward to that one.

I'm also really eager to read the Game of Thrones series, so some of the ones I listed above might have to wait.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Skippy Dies - Paul Murray

Very entertaining.....

#62 bobrek, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

To put a sports spin on this thread, I am just about to polish off Blue Bloods by Art Chansky. It's a complete history of the Duke/UNC college basketball rivalry. A must-read not only for Duke or UNC grads but for anyone who loves college basketball. Chansky does a great job of framing the rivalry while also telling the story of how the rivalry fit into ACC history.

4. Dirt

Dirt Member

Since Christmas,I have read Brad Meltzer's "The Book Of Lies,Tom Clancy's "Dead Or Alive",David Baldacci's "Hells Corner" and Vince Flynn's "American Assassin".All really good reads,IMO."Dead Or Alive has a ton of characters to keep track of though.

5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

We (the Fans of A Song of Ice and Fire) are all screwed. I recommend the series to as many friends as possible so we can all suffer together.

6. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I finally finished up Book 4 of Malazan Book of the Fallen,[​IMG]. I finished the first quarter in one night, but the last 3/4 was some dense reading. I loved that the first part covered one main character, but once they moved away from him, Erikson tackled I felt too many characters. The narrative was pretty broken up as he tried to provide too many motivations and wound up with a meandering tale. There were a few brilliant storylines, but they lasted too briefly and took far too long to revisit.

I loved Kasra, Fiddler, and Kalam, but everyone else was kind of blah. I especially hated to see the brief treatment of Crokus\Cutter. The showdown between Fesilin and Tavore was extremely underwhelming, especially after it was built up so much in Book 2 and Book 4.
    I know Erikson is setting things up for the last act, but this felt like a needlessly long filler book.

I'm going to keep plowing through and read Midnight Tides. I've heard the series picks back up, and I do actually want to see how this overall story ends. I'm not too excited about starting over with basically all new characters, but I've enjoyed the first 50 pages so far.

[​IMG]

7. dback816

dback816 Member

Ever since getting an ipad for Christmas, I downloaded the free books ap and have began reading totally random classics that I have missed or never had the time to

Like Faust....

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

When I read it the first time, I also wasn't happy with starting over with new characters (well expect for Trull who was in the previous book). But this continent will provided some of my favorite Characters in the series.

I also wans't that big of a fan of House of Chains.

I just finished Stonewielder, I'm not that big of a fan of Esslemont, but it is the same world with some of the same Characters, So I will probaboly also read his next book.

I can't wait for the Crippled god.

Erikson does likes to do unexpected things (like build up a moment and then let is just sort of fade out, the Whole Tavore Felisin scene was an example of that. That you just do not know what will happen makes these books interesting

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Finished a couple short books on Buddhism and started a Robert Price scholarly critique of the gospel narrative, but my reading will have to wait for a while since I have mucho studying to do for the next few months. sigh..

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Saturday's Kindle downloads

The story of Ireland, Emily Lawless

Ever want to know the story of Ireland from day one to 1913?? Read this book!

The Celtic Twilight: Faerie and Folklore, William B Yeats

Originally published in 1902, Yeats recites several accounts of encounters with the faerie folk and with the people of Ireland of the time which gives us insight into Irish folklore, myth and legend.

The Four Horseman of the Apocslypse, Vicente Blasco Ibanez

Letters of Demonology and Witchcraft, Sir Walter Scott

Scott researches folklore, superstition, and witchcraft (through folklore, trial records, and previous scholars) in depth to give the reader a comprehensive body of knowledge.

The Island of Doctor Moreau, H. G. Wells

11. arno_ed

Yes it is finally here. I got it in the mail. So i'm reading:
    [​IMG]

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Supposedly in Valentine's day I will either get my Kindle or a gift card big enough to get my Kindle. I hope the mere convenience of taking it with me allows me to read more. I still read, but not nearly as much as I would like.

I'm reading the Briar King right now. It's OK, not great so far but it isn't horrible either.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Started reading this recently. I'm about two 'stories' in and so far it's very interesting.

[​IMG]

Basically a collection of short nonfiction stories. Grann's style is very straightforward and it's obvious he really tries to remain as objective as possible. Some might say this makes the reading a little dry but with the subjects as fascinating as they are it just comes across as solid 'true crime'. Here's a breakdown of some of the stories from the Amazon reviews:

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What? How did you get it early? The UK edition doesn't come out until Feb 21?

rabblerabblerabble

15. arno_ed

I was also surprised :grin: I ordered it in advance in Januari with the company I usually buy my books. I didn't expect the book untill later this month. Suddenly I got the mail yesterday that they shipped the book.

The books starts great. I think I'm just not going to sleep tonight so I can read :grin:

16. Xerobull

what company? :D

17. arno_ed

A Dutch company (www.bol.com). But shipping to the US is 2 weeks :(.

18. Xerobull

Good to know. Thanks!

Let us know how it is when you're done! Not that it will matter, I'll read it anyway.

BTW, I'm wrapping up Abercrombie's First Law series. Awesome, well-paced books.

The Feared/Bloody-Nine duel was so intense that at some point I realized that I was white-knuckle gripping the book as hard as I could. Possibly the best mano-a-mano fight scene I've ever read.

#78 Xerobull, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  19. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

First Law Spoilers

Agreed. I started to read that scene and stopped so I could turn off my cell phone, make sure the kids were asleep, and had a nice glass of wine. I wanted to make sure I could read that hyped-up fight without any interruptions and savor every moment. Abercrombie totally delivered on that one. So well-done and intense. The outcome made complete sense and didn't feel contrived.

I don't know if it merits a re-read, but it was nice seeing so many secondary characters from The First Law trilogy show up in Best Served Cold.

I'm really looking forward to The Heroes, which is line behind all of the mighty fine fantasy books coming out in the first quarter of 2011. And I'm dying to get my hands on the followup trilogy he's going to write.

Pat's Fantasy Hotlist about had an orgasm reading The Crippled God. I need to pick up the pace. I want to see how this series is going to end and get cracking on all of the other new fine literature that's being released every damn week.

20. amaru

amaru Member

This is the original post from my failed "Book Thread"

Former Title: The Translator by Daoud Hari

This book is about the on going conflict in Darfur, a region in Sudan. Mr. Hari served as a translator for various media outlets who were documenting what was occurring in the region, with great risk to his life.

Would I suggest: Yes

Former Title: Custer Died for Your Sins by Vine Deloria Jr.

This book, written in the late 60's I believe, is about the history and the state of the Native American community of that time period. Deloria talks about the relationship between the Native American community and the U.S. government (Good, Bad and ugly) from the time period of European arrival to what was then the present day (when the book was finished). Deloria's wit, sarcasm, insight kept the book very interesting however he was scathing in some of his criticisms of those involved in the subjugation of the Native Americans.

Would I recommend: Yes

Former Title: A long way Gone by Ishmael Beah

This book was the autobiography of a former child soldier from Sierra Leone. It chronicles his transformation from a small child running from the war, to a child soldier and finally back into a child. Heart wrenching, but good.

Would I suggest: Some of Mr. Beah's stories are graphic but overall it is still a good book. May not be suitable for small children. I would recommend .

Former title: A lynching in the Heartland by James Madison

This book was about the tragic lynchings of two young African American men Tom Shipp and Abe Smith in Marion, Indiana on August 6-7, 1930. These young men were hung, without trial, for the alleged rape of a white woman and murder of a white man. The book also deals with the ramifications of this event on the history of the town, the state and the nation as a whole. A unique perspective is also provided by the third accused man James Cameron who was spared the fate of his two friends.

Would I suggest: Overall a very informative book, although I wouldn't suggest it for younger readers b/c there are photos of the crime in the book and they are not edited. So, Yes, but only for mature audiences.

Current title: Destined to Witness by Hans J. Massaquoi

Haven't finished this book yet, but it is an autobiography of an African man (his father was from Liberia) who grew up in Nazi Germany during WWII. It sheds light on another part of the holocaust caused by Hitler and Co. and it serves to dispel the notion that this holocaust was strictly a "Jewish Thing".

Would I Suggest: Will update when finished but as of right now....Yes