1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2011] What are you reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Game of Thrones is outstanding. Though I wonder if the damn thing will ever get finished.

Interesting to see the information about McCammon. I read Boy's Life a looong time ago and loved it. Always wondered what happened to him.

2. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

[​IMG]

I wanted to read the first one again to refresh for the series...and I just ended up reading them all again. They're that good.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

My teacher wants me to read 'Enrique's Journal' by Sonia Nazario. Im guessing is to understand different cultures,hardships, and appreciate what we don't. The book is based similar to what my mom did. Come to the U.S illegaly in 1980's on top of a train to find a better life.....just started reading the intro

4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Lebanon: A House Divided

5. Garner

Garner Member

[​IMG]

Half way through. So awesome.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Took a break from my re-read of Erikson's heavy Malazan series and read The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombe. It was further down on my list, but I found it at Half Price Books and bumped it up.

[​IMG]

This is a -great- book, especially for a rookie attempt. Well paced, great characters, good action, great gallows humor. It's a fairly easy read. I gobbled it up in a few night's reading. A+

7. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

The Help was so good. I highly recommend it! I think it may be a bit more of a girly girl book but not sure.

Now reading Alive by Piers Paul Read.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I was looking at available ebooks through my local library and took a flier on this:

[​IMG]

Pretty good so far, but I'm only on page 50 or so.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The Help looks like something my wife would like. She specialized in Victorian-era (civil war is close) literature for her first Masters. I'll recommend it to her.

10. dmc89

dmc89 Member

[​IMG]

"The Lemon Tree" - Sandy Tolan

An eye-opening book that deals with the history of Palestine and Israel and the current conflict's issues.

For a subject so polarizing, I give the author extra props for delivering an interesting, informative, and objective narrative.

Jacket description
    "In 1967, not long after the Six Day War, three young Arabs ventured into the town of Ramla, in Jewish Israel. They were on a pilgrimage to see their separate childhood homes, from which their families had been driven out nearly twenty years before during the Israeli war for independence. Only one was welcomed: Bashir Al-Khayri was greeted at the door by a young woman named Dalia.

This act of kindness in the face of years of animosity and warfare is the starting point for a remarkable true story of two families, one Arab, one Jewish; an unlikely friendship that encompasses the entire modern history of Israelis and Palestinians and that holds in its framework a hope for true peace and reconciliation for the region."

11. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Reading Mean Gene Keltons (RIP) book called Gigs from Hell... he is a baytown based blues musician who talks about all the crazy stuff that has happened at his gigs and such..
    I have the J.D. Salinger biography shipped and headed this way i pre-ordered it should be very interesting..

12. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Yeah, she would def like it!!

13. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I thought that this was fairly weird. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm reading America's Hidden History by Kenneth C. Davis (of the "You Don't Know Much About..." series). It's a book of rarely told, but really important stories in our history (like the French Hugenots who started a settlement in Florida and were massacred by the settlers of St. Augustine). Very interesting, and well-written.

Also, The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf, at the suggestion of my Crossfit coaches. It's a well-written diet book, that's even funny at times.

15. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I'm reading Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth right now.

Book is freakin' excellent.

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'm reading all these books sort of at once, alternating from one to the other throughout the day.

The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression by Andrew Solomon
    Death, the One and the Art of Theatre by Howard Barker
    The Killer by Eugene Ionesco
    Notes and Counternotes by Ionesco
    Past Present/Present Past by Ionesco

17. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Hell yes it is! The TV adaptation of it was really good, too.

18. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

That was such an incredible novel. I'd highly recommend reading World Without End next, which picks up a century or so after Pillars.

19. kgw

kgw Member

If you liked the first one, you'll like the rest of the series. I found it interesting, albeit troubling.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Picked up The Unlikely Disciple last night, and read it through in one sitting. It's about a liberal, non-religious sophomore from Brown who spends a semester at Liberty University and ends up getting the last interview ever given by Jerry Falwell. Really interesting and well-written.