1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2011] What are you reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

check out the pat tillman one for sure.

i agree that mockingjay sucked, but not nearly as bad as y'all did. the ending was terrible.

2. amaru

amaru Member

This Child Will Be Great- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sounds very good! It's interesting to me how many SF and fantasy writers, who happen to be men, are writing novels with strong female main characters. That used to be rare (and I've been reading SF and fantasy since the 1950's), but no longer. This Aussie is intriguing. Thanks for the tip!

I'm well into Dewey Lambdin's excellent Napoleonic War naval adventure series (drum roll!) starring Alan Lewrie, a bawdy British naval officer shanghied into the Royal Navy by an unscrupulous father (best told in the novels). This is very much for "mature" readers, as in readers who don't mind a liberal dose of sex with their naval action ashore and at sea, so fair warning. Parts are definitely rated MA, which is not only very well done, but essential to the portrayal of Mr. Lewrie. A very refreshing series in the genre.

Also reading Jack Campbell's space operas involving "The Lost Fleet." Entertaining, loads of action (almost non-stop), but not nearly as well written at Lambdin's work. Still, they are enjoyable, especially if you like your space opera action fast and furious, and to hell with character development! ;-)-

#223 Deckard, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  4. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I finally finished The Five last night. The kids have been a handful the past few weeks or I would have polished this off in a few sittings.

It's typical McCammon brilliance. His writing has a way of sinking its hooks into you, pulling you into the story and characters. McCammon has a true talent for vividly describing scenes and fleshing out characters without making you feel overloaded with words.

This particular novel is about a rock band called The Five embarking on their last tour before they break up. Their final video sets off a mentally unstable Iraq war vet who embarks on a mission to kill them all. The Five is many things. It's a thriller, as the band tries to cope and escape a madman hellbent on destroying them. There's also some supernatural stuff there, but thankfully it's not the meat of the story. Most of all, the novel is a tribute to live music, the bands who create music, and life on the road. I like music, but this book made me want to go to concerts. Hell it made me want to bust out my old guitar, learn to play it, and find a way to go on tour. The afteword contains a list of bands that inspired the author. He listed them in random order that he drew out of a hat. That list runs 2.5 pages.

McCammon lovingly describes the passion of playing live, the technical stuff that makes it possible, the small details that make eeking a living on the road possible, and the delicate balance that a band has to find to avoid imploding or breaking up. The pace of the book is tense and pulls you along. At times, you expect it to ratchet up, but McCammon pulls off the throttle to ease you along with subtle details. Other times, you're leisurely reading a scene, and the story suddenly rockets ahead with an unexpected turn.

A slight spoiler.
    I could have done without the supernatural element in this book. I thought the story would have worked just fine without it. There didn't need to be some colossal struggle between light and dark over the fate of this band. It wasn't overly done, but it felt out of place in this beautifully crafted novel and was probably the only thing keeping this book from being an all-time classic for me.

Even with that slight caveat in the spoiler tag above, this is a fun book. There's nothing earth-shattering about the plot, but it's a solid entry in a great author's catalog. If you're a musician, have gone on tour, or really like music, I'd give this book a shot. It's certainly better than How Evan Broke His Head by Garth Stein, which also featured a musician.

Bonus points: The Houston Rockets get a brief mention on page 324. I haven't seen that happen too many times in fiction.

Up next: Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay. I liked but didn't love Kay's Fionavar Tapestry trilogy with some slight issues with the unwelcome Tolkein elements. However, I've heard rave things about some of his other works. Others on this board have raved about Under Heaven for a while, and it's definitely time to check it out.

[​IMG]

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Great book, almost finished it. Douglas Adams is really funny. As a result of this book I'm thinking about reading his other work.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I finished Under the Banner and took your advice, picking up "Where Men Win Glory:The Odyssey Of Pat Tillman"

Thanks for the reminder... I'm rolling through it at a decent pace ..... also reading Hunter Thompson's "Generation of Swine"....a kind of balance between the two, you know....like reading Burroughs...gotta have the other side while that's goin on...

Under The Banner of Heaven - Krakauer paints a comprehensive history of the Mormon church. (also a laundry list of disturbing events surrounding it ...past and present) ...which provides the backdrop/context for the true crime aspects...Krakauer's usual hard driving narrative is present when it needs to be.....yet he goes further .....I think he took some risks in writing this book and it clearly payed off....

7. ScriboErgoSum

Just a note on what I will NOT be reading.

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2011/07/wtf.html

Tyra Banks has a new novel coming out on September 13, and here's the jacket description:
    I kept thinking this was a joke, but it's apparently legit. Just, wow! That looks truly terrible.

8. ScriboErgoSum

After a good but too Tolkeinish reading experience with Guy Gavriel Kay and his Fionavar Tapestry trilogy, I wasn't quite sure what to expect with Under Heaven. I've heard nothing but rave things from people I know, people on this board, and from Pat's Fantasy Hotlist who gave it a rare 10 out of 10 rating. After finishing it, I have to concur with all the love. This was a pretty amazing novel.

The book sunk its hooks into me during the very first chapter. The first few pages set the world up, but once you meet the main character, Tai, the story sweeps you up and takes you on an epic ride with unexpected turns. Kay's writing has clearly matured since the Fionavar Tapestry. He paints a vivid world, brimming with details that never feels too wordy. The descriptions seem to take place alongside the action, giving a truly immersive experience.

Kay's schtick is to take a historical setting to use as a base for a fantasy world. Under Heaven is modeled after ninth centry Japan. I've read very little set in Japan, especially that era, but I found myself enthralled by the detailed protocols and system of honor that existed in this world. It drove the plot, but never felt overdone or preachy.

The characters in the book were expertly done. Tai was a vivid, complex character who's world is rocked by a very unexpected gift he receives at the beginning of the story. He was clearly the main character of the story, but Kay introduced a dozen or so other main characters who were also deftly woven. There were perhaps 10 different POV's in this book, but I never felt frustrated when the focus left Tai (although he gets 80% of the POV in this book).

The story was quite beautiful as well. Tai's receipt of a very generous gift sets in motion an epic tale with emperors, poets, siblings, assassins, concubines, soldiers, and a beauty for the ages colliding with different agendas in a corrupt empire seething with plotting, tradition, and intrigue. I felt I knew where the story was going, but Kay surprised me a couple of times in going different directions or shooting forward in an expected direction but with unexpected intensity.

The overall tone of this book is one of historians looking back on a memorable time. I'm glad this was single book. Kay probably could have turned this into a two or three book series, but this long but not hefty tale had an epic feel to it. I'd put this up in the top 25 books I've read, but I still need some time to decide just how high I would place it. I like books like this that make you think about them (the story, the characters, and the writing) for days after you finish.

I highly recommend this book.

For all you Kay fans out there, what else would you recommend by him? I've bought just about all of his works, but I'm not sure where to turn next. I like Under Heaven so much more than the Fionavar trilogy. Sailing to Sarantium and Lord of Emperors? The Lions of Al-Rassan? A Song for Arbonne? I definitely want to revisit this author in the very near future and would appreciate your feedback.

Pat's Fantasy Hotlist ranked Under Heaven tied for the best book of 2010, so I figured I would try reading the other book they ranked #1: The Dervish House by Ian McDonald. I know it's set in Turkey and pretty much nothing else.

[​IMG]

9. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Currently reading In Her Name by Michael Hicks, part of a trilogy (sci-fi)

10. ScriboErgoSum

Sounds interesting. I'd be curious to get your feedback when you're done.

11. TheChosenOne

Will do.

How did you end up liking (or not) the Bone Crusher book? I saw you were going to read that a while back. Read it a couple months ago myself.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Last 5:

Obama:
    -Audacity Of Hope
    -Dreams From My Father

Halberstam:
    -Playing For Keeps
    -The Breaks Of The Game

Simmons:
    -The Book Of Basketball

13. ScriboErgoSum

I haven't read it yet. I have a ridiculously long list of books I own but have not read. It intrigues me a lot, and I look forward to reading it.

14. TheChosenOne

Update: (7-24-11)

Finished reading In Her Name (Michael Hicks), Catching Fire (book 2 Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins), and 6 chapters away from finishing Mockingjay (book 3, Hunger Games)

review #1, (copied from my Amazon review)

In Her Name (Michael Hicks, book 1)

15. TheChosenOne

Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2) Review

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Just finished Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell.

[​IMG]

A good summer read with a fair amount of historical detail. I went back and looked up some of the particulars of the battle after reading and I'm glad I did. Agincourt is one of those historical happenings I knew about in general (mainly through Henry V), but didn't really understand.

Anyway, Cornwell spares no detail and treats battle scenes, sieges, and camp life as equal players. The main character is a mixed bag of conflicting impulses and even murders a guy in the middle of the book. Cornwell does, I think, a great job of capturing the personality and thought of people living and struggling in the transition between the Dark Ages and the Renaissance. The best part is probably the first section where the massacre of Soissons is described in great detail and the main character barely escapes.

17. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Looking to get a good recent graphic novel for my brother in law. Any recommendations? He's into star wars and zombies. I was thinking about getting him robopocalypse. Any good?

18. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Good but not his best work.

20. FROSTEEiCE

FROSTEEiCE Contributing Member

You should really spoiler that for those of us who haven't finished the first book yet.