1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 Rockets Draft Prospects Workout Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, May 24, 2011.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Thanks for the video.

Perhaps we could pick this guy in the second round to replace C-Bud. :grin:

Dude is 6'10". 38% from 3's and 9+ rebound per game. I hope I got those number correct.

2. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

hmm..why does it seem that the Rox have no scheduled late workouts a few weeks goin to the draft?

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have also noticed that. Strange.

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Don't think all scheduled workouts become public.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

A year or two ago Morey talked about how extensively they work out players, and how many, but choose to keep those workouts under wraps.

They also participate with other teams in workouts, i.e., if Minnesota conducted workouts and Kahn (KAAAAAAHN!; sorry, couldn't resist) allowed other teams to participate, Morey and his staff could have very well already been in on that. Etc etc.

6. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I really like this guy with our 38th pick.

He can play both on the ball and off the ball. Can space out the court, has very good handle, and has a very good all around game. He also possesses terrific height for SF standing a legit 6'10, and tested with above average lateral quickness for a SF. I think his ceiling could be a Hedo Turkoglu type player.

The biggest knock on this guy, is that he lacks jumping ability and has a poor wingspan for his size( a shade under 6'10 wingspan). His scoring also decrease slightly from his junior to senior year. But in his defense all the other categories increased.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

So, Rockets have ALREADY worked out Biyombo. Plus, I'm sure they will have representatives at the Eurocamp this weekend to see him again.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

When I do not know much about the NBA Draft, but I am thinking that we should trade this year 14 pick back to Nets for our next year pick which we gave away for requiring Williams or whoever. Next year draft will be strong, and we do not need this 14 pick much, not know if Nets will do it.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

But our 2012 pick only goes to the Nets if we make the playoffs. So if we miss, which will most likely happen, we could be trading a 14th lottery pick for nothing.

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Also, New Jersey is not obligated to take the pick. If the Nets think that the 2012 draft (or other future drafts) will have much better players in the 10-20 range than this draft, and if they firmly believe that the Rockets are likely to just barely MAKE the playoffs next year (or in 2013 or 2014, even), they may not want the 14th pick this year, instead opting for what they believe to be a "better pick" in a future draft (i.e., the #15 or #16 pick in 2012).

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

When did the Rockets work out Biyombo? Wow, Morey really knows how to keep a secret.

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I quoted the tweets from Chad Ford indicating that all teams drafting 3-16 (other than WAS) have been in for a Biyombo workout. I assume that includes the Rockets (drafting #14). That doesn't necessarily mean that Daryl Morey was in attendance. Could be one of their European scouts.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Oh. Gotcha.:eek:

14. Yoda

Yoda Member

Biyombo, Brooks, Tyler, Selby and Reggie Jackson are the only guys i really want. Otherwise just trade the pics along with Scola for a good young player or high draft pick.

At this point, i'm expecting a mediocre season next year no matter what. But, i hope we make moves to have CAP space and guys full of potential. It's all about 2012. If 2012 comes around and we have no superstar or top 3 pick and a team still only capable of getting us a 7th seed at best, i will be very angry. And i will write the Rockets a letter telling them how angry i am.

15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

What's with the facination of Biyombo ? Just because it rhymes with Mutombo doesn't make him cool :) He's 6'9 and not a center plus we're 3 deep at PF so no thanks.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, with the reach equal to a 7 footer and the strength to match, he could play center for certain amounts of time. Also, if he really is 18 and plays the way he does, that is an added plus. He displays good leadership skills while on the floor. He has an excellent motor and speed for a player his size.

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

sigh...

Bismack Biyombo
    6'9 w/shoes | Wingspan 7'7 | Standing reach 9'3

Other top defensive centers....
    ---------------------------
    Dwight Howard
    6'10 w/shoes | Wingspan 7'4.5 | Standing reach 9'3.5

Andrew Bogut
    7'0 w/shoes | Wingspan 7'3 | Standing reach 9'2.5

Tyson Chandler
    7'1 w/shoes | Wingspan 7'3 | Standing reach 9'2

Emeka Okafor
    6'10 w/shoes | Wingspand 7'4 | Standing reach 9'2.5

Marcin Gortat
    7'0 w/shoes | wingspan 7'3.5 | Standing reach 9'2

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/

18. Egghead

Egghead Member

ESPN's Fraschilla breaks down NBA draft prospects Kanter, Vesely, Valanciunas, Motiejunas and Biyombo
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/51978211-62/story.csp

heres what he thinks about Biyombo..

Biyombo: This kid is a beast. Physically, he should be playing defensive end for the Broncos. He's a man child. But the first question is, he's listed at 18. Is he really 18? Most people doubt that he is. Most people think it doesn't matter. … This is not a Danny Almonte situation. But this kid is very athletic, long wingspan, has all the attributes to be a great defensive player, like a Ben Wallace-type of guy. But he's got no offensive game, and he's got limited experience at a high level of basketball. He played just a handful games … and that's it. So you're looking at a guy that is an absolute blank canvas. He could be Ben Wallace, he could be [Mouhamed] Sene, who played himself out of the league after a couple futile seasons in Seattle. And these people are comparing him to Serge Ibaka; they're different type players. … I'm hearing he's going to go as high as eight. He could be — in my mind, he is absolutely the biggest risk of the top-five [international prospects]. … He could be there at 12

19. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

BBB2H

"BRING BIZMACK BIYOMBO 2 HOUSTON "

This player is going to be Special...

He has the tools, confidence, desire, work ethic, born 2 play, etc.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bismack-Biyombo-5902/

“The lockout is not worrying me,” Biyombo told us. “If there is a lockout, I can continue to play in Spain. I want to make a mark before I leave Spain. When I decided to enter the draft I spoke to my agent Igor [Crespo], and I said, ‘Igor, before I leave Spain, I want to put my name on the basketball court. So when I leave Spain my name will be remembered the right way.' About the NBA, I still have time to be on the floor, still have time to work, still have time to make myself better.”

FEELS RIGHT :)

20. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Thanks. Now my eye are bleeding. This is simply unreadable.