1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RocketManJosh, Sep 27, 2011.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

GabeDeArmondGabe DeArmond
    Lot of reports/tweets about Louisville, Cincy, WVA, BYU and TCU joining Big 12. No clue if none, all or somewhere in between are true.

ChrisLevelChris Level
    Sure seem to be strong, strong signals out there right not about BYU & TCU joining the Big 12. Nothing official yet but talk getting louder.

TheUpsetBlogTheUpsetBlog
    Our sources confirm BYU has accepted offer to join the Big 12 in principle.

ChuckCarltonDMNChuck Carlton
    A source on the idea of TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati, W. Va to the Big 12: "It's one of the leading options." Big 12 waiting on Missouri.

A source on the idea of TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati, W. Va to the Big 12: "It's one of the leading options." Big 12 waiting on Missouri.

A last word on 4 BE to Big 12 idea: Source called it "one of the leading options." There are several on table, ranging from 9 to 16 teams.

2. MadMax

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...tml?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Big 12 trying to take TCU before school joins Big East

The wobbly Big East Conference could be under seige again — this time from the Big 12, which appears to have its sights set on TCU.

According to a report in today’s Dallas Morning News, “the Big 12 has a new stance about adding members from Texas, potentially opening the door for TCU and other schools.”

What it means is that TCU could be out of the Big East before it ever officially joins. According to two college officials, it would be an easy departure for the Horned Frogs, since they would only have to pay a $5 million exit fee and aren’t bound by the 27-month waiting period penalty unless they are Big East members as of July 1.

The two officials requested anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss TCU’s situation.

But the Big 12 is going to need at least one more team to get back to 10, and possibly two, depending on what Missouri does. Missouri is weighing a decision whether to remain as the Big 12’s ninth team or to join the SEC as its 14th school.

If Missouri stays, TCU could be the only target of the Big 12, further crippling the Big East, which is still trying to figure out how to deal with the announced defections of Syracuse and Pittsburgh to the ACC.

Big East presidents have scheduled a meeting Sunday in Washington “to talk about the future and how to go forward as a strong Big East,” Connecticut president Susan Herbst told the Associated Press on Wednesday.

But one of the college officials said that meeting likely won’t produce anything of substance, since too many current members aren’t willing to commit to the Big East for the long term. That has prevented the league from aggressively recruiting new schools, which want to know exactly what they will be joining.

The Morning News also reported that if Missouri leaves the Big 12, TCU, Louisville, West Virginia and Cincinnati could be targeted as replacements to get the league to 12 schools.

A quick exit by TCU would have an immediate impact on Rutgers, in addition to the long-term implications for the Big East, since the Horned Frogs are scheduled to play in Piscataway next fall. That would leave Rutgers scrambling to fill a home date.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Someone explain what TCU brings to the conference cuz I'm confused.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Well, whatever they bring, I'm sure it's more than Boise State.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

But UH and SMU are sitting right there. I don't get it.

6. Major

Major Member

I guess the "we want people in our time zone" thing was just more junk?

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Why would you take SMU over TCU?

8. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Stability and competition and probably also a lead to get those other Big East schools. TCU's rising athletic program insures a more stable conference by adding another top team. If you add BYU and TCU (and possibly a few others) teams will no longer leave the Big 12 for another conference (besides the small chance of the SEC). The problem with the Big 12 is not how good the conference is but its the instability of the past two years that is concerning. By bringing TCU you have a team that draws interest as a Big 12 opponent and a national draw as they were the "little sister of the poor" that showed they could win the big game.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Academics and history.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Academics I'll give you, but history is pretty equal for both schools regarding the Big 12. (and history seems to be the least important factor)

But TCU's football program is light years ahead of SMU.

50,000 seat stadium vs. 30,000 seat stadium.

40,000 average attendance vs. 20,000 average attendance.

It's a no-brainer if you're trying to strengthen the Big 12's football resume and keep revenues as high as possible.

#70 DonnyMost, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  11. Major

Major Member

Given the potential new Big12's academic profile of being probably similar or worse than the SEC, I don't think academics is driving anything here.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

When it comes to adding/not adding schools, the only driving force is whatever UT and the other powerbrokers want it to be.

They can selectively impose whatever standards they choose.

For example, adding Cincinatti, claiming that academics are important, meanwhile adding Boise State, whose only doctoral program is in potato horticulture.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Just put UH in the damn conference so I can hurry and buy season tickets already!

14. MadMax

the story changes every hour depending on who you listen to.

15. MadMax

what history? history of losing their program entirely?

sorry, but i don't understand an argument for SMU at all. i understand it for UH and for TCU...but not SMU.

16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Yea I'm sure SMU is prouding themselves on one of the most corrupt athletic departments in college football. That's something you want to associate your conference with.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Solid replacement for the Aggies' Poultry Science & Turf Grass majors.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great idea, sounds exactly like what I suggested earlier in this thread. Just add Air Force and South Florida and get to 16. Done and done.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Totally agree MadMax.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Somebody will have to explain to me why SoFlo deserves a spot. F'real.