1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RocketManJosh, Sep 27, 2011.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Agreed! I'd much rather make the roadie from Vegas to San Diego rather than to Provo. I was personally hoping that UNLV would get the full sports invite, but knowing that football is driving this move, there's no way that that glorified D3 team would get a sniff at an AQ conference. Imagine adding UNLV basketball to the BE mix.

lol...I HATE THE UTAH JAZZ!!!!

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

Still feel this is going to happen.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

kbohls kbohls
    A Big 12 school official told me Texas A&M's exit fee is $22 million; Aggies dispute that amount.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm of the opinion that after the latest round of shake ups and reshuffling, it's time to relegate the remainder of C-USA, Mt West, Sun Belt, Mid-American, and even WAC to IAA. Maybe let Hawaii jump ship to PAC.

There's no reasonable argument for them to be in the same division anymore.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They'd probably disagree with you...especially when you consider all the time, money, and effort it takes to get from FCS to FBS (just ask Texas State).

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

And there we have it, this was the goal of the BCS and its supporters all along. And at the rate things are going, I'd say mission accomplished.

7. Major

Major Member

Those conferences cover something like 40-50 schools and lost a grand total of about 6? I don't see why that would change anything. Sure, they lost the big name ones like TCU, Utah, and Bosie. But that just opens the door for new big name schools in those conferences. It's not like any of these schools were any good a decade ago either.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

edit: nvm. misunderstood/dun goofed.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

texas state is the next boise. :)

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

That's my point. Why have them in the same division when they aren't remotely in the same class, ever have been, or ever will be?

The ones that left, left because they were good enough to pass muster and gt invited into a real conference.

Central Michigan, Northern Illinois, Middle Tenn, Idaho and all the rest belong with Delaware, William & Mary, Appalachian St, etc.

11. Major

Major Member

But 10 or 15 years ago, Boise State and TCU were no different than UAB or Tulsa or Nevada. They, along with UH and Utah, did prove themselves to be able to rise up and get in the same class as the big boys and got themselves invited to the BCS conferences. There's no reason to think the remaining schools can't do it again now that those schools are out of their conferences.

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Well the settlement is in for Texas A&M's exit fees, and just like I predicted, the buyout is nowhere near the original numbers that were floated (i.e. $30MM)

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205388761

.. And this tweet from Jason Cook gives the end result. Didn't pay much more than Nebraska if at all (can't remember their exact number)

Hard to believe that WVU had to pay $20MM to the Big East. What a leadership failure in the Big 12.

#652 RocketManJosh, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's baccckkkkk!

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

30 million lulz

"There was no precedent set! It doesn't matter what Nebraska and Colorado did!"

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Glad y'all are leaving on such high notes!

16. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

So how much money is A&M in the hole now? And what if they don't make a bowl game their first year in the SEC? This is quite the risky game that A&M is playing. I hope it works out for them.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Money-wise -- not a risky game brah.

18. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Considering the SEC is expecting A&M to get 10-15MM more than they got in the big 12, money is certainly not the issue

The issue is how long will it take us to compete, which is a very fair question

19. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

A very long time :)

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I am just glad we are leaving that sinking ship of a conference.