1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Big Shot Bob, Apr 4, 2011.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

HAHA...no sir, that's Bobby Heck's territory. Ed handles the middle relief acquisitions. :p

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

J.D. Martinez clubbed a 3-run homer, Jonathan Gaston went 2-4 with 2 RBI, and Jimmy Paredes went 3-4 and scored 3 times for Corpus Christi. They won 8-2.

3. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

he clubbed another 3 run HR tonight too while walking twice... :p

4. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Chris Wallace and Telvin Nash both went 5-6 tonight with EACH of them hitting 3 home runs and a double. Nash with 4 RBI and Wallace with 9 RBI. :eek:

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The boys in Lexington are putting up monster numbers here in the early going.

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Every team in the system was involved in a shootout.... unfortunately, only Lexington came out with a win.

Corpus Christi lost to NW Arkansas 12-9. Pat Urckfitz took the loss after giving up 6 unearned runs in 2/3 of an inning. Brandon Barnes homered. J.D. Martinez went 1-3 with an RBI, and he's now hitting .368.

Lancaster lost to High Desert 15-8. Kody Hinze and Jake Goebbert homered and had 3 RBI's. Jose Altuve is hitting .390 right now. Pitchers got bombed, to say the least... Jose Cisnero took the loss. His ERA ballooned to 6.35 after today. He's got 22 K's in 11.1 innings.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Everyone except for Lancaster lost tonight

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

wallace is a catcher that can hit nash can flat out hit to.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Jay Austin is off to a nice, hot start... hopefully he keeps it up, He's got a lot of talent . Unfortunately Lyles got beat up again.. i dont know what is wrong as i cant watch the games .. i only see the box. Not a terrible start for Folty though. Our offensive players are looking real nice so far to start the year... hopefully they keep it up

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would not be surprised to see Altuve jumping mid-season to AA ... except that Jimmy Paredes is a higher rated second base prospect and is already at AA and might not be ready for a similar mid-season jump to AAA.

11. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

There most likely will be a midseason trade of Barmes or Hall or both which will allow them to call up Manzella which then allows them to promote Paredes and Altuve to AAA and AA.

BTW I really like the Lancaster and Lexington lineups. They both have a great balance of power, speed and obp. Lancaster has more speed while Lexington has more power. I'm really hoping a lot of these guys pan out and can become solid major leaguers in two or three years.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Round Rock beat OKC.... wait, Round Rock's not our AAA team anymore? Damn, I must not have been awake.

Well then, OKC lost 5-3 to the Express.... 3 errors, and they were held to 5 hits tonight. Manzella's hitting .350 right now.

Corpus Christi had the night off. Ross Seaton takes the hill tomorrow night against Frisco.

Lancaster beat High Desert 3-2. Jay Austin and Jonathan Villar both stole 2nd. They now have 8 steals apiece. Jose Altuve went 0-4; he's now at .375. The only homer came from the catcher, Ben Heath, the 5th-round pick from last year.

Lexington lost to Savannah 5-4. Delino DeShields Jr. making his way to the Mendoza Line after going 1-4. He's now at .213. Adam Bailey continues his hot start... he hit homer #5 tonight. Dydalewicz took the loss.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

DeShields is actually returning from the Mendoza line, not heading towards it. He's hitting .296 with a .811 OPS over his last 7 games. He's having a lot of fielding issues right now, but he's still only 18 years old.

The thing i'm most impressed with early is the Lancaster plate discipline. Almost the entire team is walking at a good to great clip. With the exception of Jonathan Villar, who nobody ever expects any plate disciple from.

It's early on so you don't want to get too excited. but if the boys down in Lexington and Lancaster continue like this, the Astros could shoot back up the farm rankings really quick.

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm really rooting for Chris Wallace. He's one of my all-time favorite UH Cougars. He had power at UH, but I always assumed it was just metal bat power. I stand corrected.

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Nice bounceback start from our new hope, Jordan Lyles. 3 hits and 7 shutout innings as OKC blanked the Express 5-0.

Wladimir Sutil had a solo homer and drove in another run as the Hooks beat Frisco 3-1. It was his first of the season, and his 3rd home run as a pro. Kyle Greenwalt pitched 7 innings of 1-run ball for the W.

Lancaster shut out by Stockton 5-0. Well, Jose Altuve raised his average to .433 by going 1-2.

After losing 2 straight 1-run games to Savannah, Lexington turned the tables, winning 8-7. Jio Mier homered, Kvasnicka drove in 2, and Adam Bailey continued his hot start, going 3-5 with an RBI. DeShields is now hitting .218. Folty started, going 5 and giving up 4 earned runs and another unearned. No decision for him.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Chris Wallace is 3rd in the entire Minor Leagues in RBI, and leads everyone in slugging with a .903 mark. :eek:

Kody Hinze of Lancaster is in a 3-way tie for 2nd in homers with 7, and Jose Altuve is tied for 4th in hits with 29.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I remember that being a discussion about Berkman when he was at Rice. There were those who thought his power would die down when he had to give up metal.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Clint Barmes is with OKC starting a rehab assignment... he went 1-2, scored once, and walked once. Koby Clemens went 1-4 and drove in 2 runs. He's hitting .293. OKC lost 5-4.

J.D. Martinez doubled twice and drove in 2 runs, but the Hooks lose to Midland 10-8. A 4-run 5th for the Hooks came in response to a 5-spot for the Rockhounds in the bottom of the 4th, tying the game at 7, but Midland scored 2 in the bottom of the 5th, and 1 more in the 6th, while CC only mustered 1 more run in the 9th.

Jethawks beat Rancho Cucamonga 5-3. Jose Altuve continues his tear. 3-4 with 2 RBI, a homer shy of the cycle. He's pushed his average up to .451. Austin Wates hit his 3rd homer of the year.

Jio Mier homered again, and Mike Kvasnicka hit his first as Lexington beat Kannapolis 7-6 in 10 innings.

What's a bit alarming is how Tanner Bushue's K-rate has dropped dramatically. 11 in 26.2 innings. Still allowing a .214 average against, though.

20. RocketMania1991

From the updates you have been posting recently it seems like our prospects in the minors are doing pretty well.............