1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2010] What are you reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Jan 11, 2010.

1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm about half way through The Girl who kicked the hornets nest.

I'm enjoying it very much.

2. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I read both the above and the Tawny Man trilogy years ago. Liveship was fantastic and definitely a breath of fresh air from the cold lands of the Six Duchies. It seemed more event-based. However, the Tawny Man trilogy, combined with a chronological reading of all nine books, ends with an amazing and emotional ending. In that light, it's hard to see the series as separate trilogies but rather one huge story whose characters are so well written, it almost feels like real life.

3. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

I'm at the same point in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".
    It's getting better and better.. very good book so far.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm also reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. On about page 160 or so. Really started to enjoy it more the further I've gotten into it.

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

First half of Tattoo I almost gave up on it. Second half kicks ass. Second book is stronger beginning to end. 3rd book so far is holding its own.

6. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Dedicated myself to read some classics...the longass ones I had always held out on.

Right now, going through War and Peace.

Hopefully when summer ends, I'll have that and In Search of Lost Time both done.

7. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Good to know. I've got the Tawny Man books sitting on my bookshelf and am looking forward to reading all 9 of these books straight through.

Have you read the Rain Wild Chronicles? It's a two book series set after The Tawny Man trilogy.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

9. ScriboErgoSum

WTF? Apparently Carlos Ruiz Zafon's first book, The Prince of Mist, was translated and released in May. I just ordered it and cannot wait to read it.

Zafon wrote my favorite book, The Shadow of the Wind, and I've been dying to get my hands on his early works. He wrote young adult fiction before he turned to more mature work with Shadow of the Wind. Besides Prince of Mist, he has a trilogy that I've heard rave reviews about. I wish my Spanish was better, but I want to wait for the translations because his writing style is so lush and beatiful that I don't want to spoil it with my clumsy translation efforts.

[​IMG]

10. amaru

amaru Member

Previous title

"Incidents in the life of a Slave girl"

Current title

Fredrick the great "Letters to his generals"

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Maxim...on the crapper...

i must admit I haven't read a "book" in a long time, maybe a couple of years...I use to when I had free time or really to kill time, but I'd rather be outside than read nowadays...

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Apparently there is a 4th which the author was 300+ pages into when he died. It seems as if they are trying to work a deal to have a collaborator of his finish it up but Swedish estate laws aren't making things easy.

13. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I am reading threads on clutchfans :cool:

14. ScriboErgoSum

He had about half of a fourth book and outlines of 5 and 6. Apparently Larsson intended 10 books. His father is executor of his estate and has said that he won't release the material. I can't say I blame him. The story ended well at the close of book 3. Releasing part of a fourth book would just be a cruel tease to fans of the series.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo about a week ago. 200 pages into The Girl Who Played With Fire. Loving this series.

16. Mae

Mae Member

Do any of you have an e-reader/Kindle?

17. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

My Kindle is one of the best purchases that I have ever made. I can't tell you how much I love it.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have an iPad. My son has a Kindle.

19. Mae

Mae Member

I was just wondering. I got an e-reader for Christmas and I love it to death.

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I read using the kindle app on my iphone and I love it. I'd love an ipad but cant justify one and I like reading on my phone because I always have my book with me. I need a new book now.

I'm open to suggestions.