1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2010 NBA draft, who to pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rocketblaze, Aug 28, 2009.

?

2010 NBA draft, who goes #1?

1. John Wall

189 vote(s)
    86.3%
  2. Derrick Favors

14 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. John Henson

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Ed Davis

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. Other

11 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Which one of the following player will be the first to shake the commisioner's hand in the 2010 NBA draft?.....and which one has the highest upside?

John Wall= NBA comp. Derrick Rose/Dwyane Wade
    PG 6'4 with a 6'9 wingspan

[​IMG] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v4CbQGBbUOw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v4CbQGBbUOw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Derrick Favors= NBA comp. Dwight Howard/Tim Duncan
    PF/C 6'10(still growing) with a 7'6 wingspan

[​IMG] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_PB0iKbIXlY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_PB0iKbIXlY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

John Henson= NBA comp. Kevin Durant/Anthony Randolph/Chris Bosh
    SF/PF 6'10 with a 7'5 wingspan

[​IMG] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AOhYCRCbom4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AOhYCRCbom4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ed Davis= NBA comp. Micheal Beasley/Amare Stoudemire
    SF/PF 6'9 with a 7'2 wingspan

[​IMG] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bZMR3Bd8Vk0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bZMR3Bd8Vk0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Can Henson or Davis dunk? I didn't see any dunking in their videos.

3. 523744

523744 Member

Both are close to 7' tall.... Im sure they can

4. Egghead

Egghead Member

John Wall, Nuff' said

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If he can show mental maturity and keep out of trouble,he should be # 1. Working on improving his jumper,should be the main goal. If he can show that,there is no stopping him.

6. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

yea if he can mature and not be so flashy he can be great... as of now though i would compare him to steve francis

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Historically guards and forwards have a better track record of becoming stars than bigs, part of the reason why guards and forwards are bursting with superstar talent at 24 years old and below while the only young C with superstar potential is DH. If I'm picking number 1 in such a loaded draft I won't waste it by taking an unknown (and risk Darko part 2), I'd get wall.

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I thought the sarcasm was fairly obvious.

All they showed in those 2 clips was dunking. :D

9. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Not your best work.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is somewhat like a young Steve Francis since they both rely on speed, athleticism and driving ability,but Wall has superior court vision and passing. Francis had a much better jumper.

#10 saleem, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't understand these comparisons?

DH/Duncan - yeah, they're both big...but otherwise have complete opposite games...how can someone compare to them both?

How does Durant compare to Anthony Randolph and to Chris Bosh?

Beasley comparing to Stat....??? Um, if by not comparable, then sure.

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

None this players are being compared to each other, they are all potential ceilings, for the players in draft.....its like giving a best / worst case scenario for the player in the draft (but i was only giving the best case scenario)

13. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

John Wall easily.

Anyways here is a look back at the top 5 picks in each draft this decade.

1. Kenyon Martin
    2. Stromile Swift
    3. Darius Miles
    4. Marcus Fizer
    5. Mike Miller

1. Kwame Brown
    2. Tyson Chandler
    3. Pau Gasol
    4. Eddy Curry
    5. Jason Richardson

1. Yao Ming
    2. Jay Williams
    3. Mike Dunleavy Jr.
    4. Drew Gooden
    5. Nikoloz Tskitishvili

1. Lebron James
    2. Darko Milicic
    3. Carmelo Anthony
    4. Chris Bosh
    5. Dwayne Wade

1. Dwight Howard
    2. Emeka Okafor
    3. Ben Gordan
    4. Shaun Livingston
    5. Devin Harris

1. Andrew Bogut
    2. Marvin Williams
    3. Chris Paul
    4. Deron Williams
    5. Raymond Felton

1. Andrea Bargnani
    2. LaMarcus Aldridge
    3. Adam Morrison
    4. Tyrus Thomas
    5. Sheldon Williams

From now on I will color code players according to how they played so far

1. Greg Oden
    2. Kevin Durant
    3. Al Horford
    4. Mike Conley
    5. Jeff Green

1. Derrick Rose
    2. Michael Beasley
    3. OJ Mayo
    4. Russell Westbrook
    5. Kevin Love

Blue - Star
    Green - Perennial all-star or solid 2nd or 3rd option
    Grey - Meh solid player, not a bad pick
    Orange - Bust but not a terrible player
    Red - Total bust (injuries are no excuse)

This isn't a matter of who was picked ahead of who, its about how well the pick turned out.

I used a simple point system (probably defective) to rank the overall picks.

1. First overall pick
    2. Third overall pick
    3. Fifth overall pick
    5T. Second and Fourth overall picks

Strange, the even numbers have produced the worst players from the top 5. The real #2 pick is actually the pick right after it, the third overall pick.

So as Rockets fans, we're rooting for picks 1/3/5 and we should throw a fit if we end up with the 2nd or 4th pick (well only if we are top 5 in lottery to begin with).

For more fun I went ahead and used that point system and applied it to the 2009 NBA Draft.

1. Blake Griffin
    2. Hasheem Thabeet
    3. James Harden
    4. Tyreke Evans
    5. Ricky Rubio

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yeah i think most likely than not, its going to be John Wall (the guy is just sick!!!) plus i would love to see him in rocket red by the start of 2010-11 season.....it would be a dream!!!!, our new franchise player, well if we could get our hands on him, we would probably give Yao, like 4 more years to be the main guy, until john develops in the player he can become :D....it would be Magic & Kareem all over again!!!!

PS- i Like you're sys. of ranking players on how they turned out based on when they were drafted, but i think you need to add a super star color to it! :D for example:

Superstar: Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Yao Ming(Im biased :D )

All-stars: Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh

- rocketblaze

15. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I think Yao shouldn't be blue due to his injuries and I think green is best for him. But Tyrus Thomas? He is not a bust at all. He is a good player that is still very young. Tyrus Thomas should be between a grey and green and far from orange buddy

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

wingspan, wingspan, wingspan

all of these guys should translate well into the NBA

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yes, all of this guys will be fantastic players, but who will go first in the draft?!?!(pretty much john Wall, according to the poll :D )......
    and which one has the highest ceiling?! :D

PS. I personally think John Wall will go first, but John Henson has the highest ceiling......but again thats my opinion :D

-rocketblaze

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

John Wall, unless he absolutely tanks the upcoming season.

Even if AB goes for 20 ppg I'd take Wall. And instead just move Brooks to the off guard. NBA rules these days are just too friendly towards guards.

19. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Im kind of hoping that happens, giving the rockets a better chance to get him with his draft stock going down or one of the other prospects can explode for an amazing season, causing Wall to drop top 3.....in what ever case this guy needs to be wearing a rocket red next season.... :D

20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I gotta go with Wall as well. One of my big reasons is that often big men like the other three guys have more trouble adjusting to the college game. A guy like Wall won't have to change anything to be successful in college. The bigger guys will have to overcome the fact that they are no longer the biggest, most athletic guy on the court at all times. Wall will have a huge season and end up going first.