1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2010 Houston Dynamo offseason thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by desi tmac91, Oct 21, 2010.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Without seeing the games as much as you have, how many of those goals were due to poor keeping? From what I saw, there were a lot of save-able balls that went into the net. I agree that Cameron should be in the back next season. The number of goals against goes down, too, when there is a midfield capable of maintaining possession. Since there was a horrid lack of that this year, there was no pressure on opposing teams to stay back. They could push forward to their hearts desire without really risking giving up anything. Even the best defenses will fall apart under that kind of pressure game after game.

The little I saw of hall was not good. I didn't get a chance to see Deric.

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

A lot of the goals seemed to be from the defense putting Onstad in poor situations, but they were situations that should have still been stoppable, and some seemed like his reaction time just wasn't as fast as it used to be. And you're right about the midfield not being much help, not just in their ability to keep the ball but being an extra line of defense. Rico would stop/slow down an absurd number of attacks by himself, and Stu was great at getting back to help out.

Hall had one major screw up against Columbus to gift them a goal but was pretty solid other than that, especially in 1v1 situations. Deric looked ok, but wasn't tested a whole lot in the time he got.

3. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Agreed. The MLS is for washed up players (who look damn good here) that want to relive their glory days. I think someone like Francesco Totti is more realistic.

4. leroy

Some minor news not entirely related to the Dynamo...

Austin Aztex confirms relocation of franchise to Orlando

Sucks for the Dynamo in a way because it allowed them a closer destination to scout the USL league and the occasional pre-season game was nice, too. I never had a chance to go to the game for a few of the reasons they're moving. The stadiums they were playing in are terrible and there's no alcohol.

5. leroy

The hope is that this changes...that the MLS becomes a destination league. It's still years away from happening, but it's certainly possible.

6. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I could see the MLS growing to a mid-card league somewhere in the next decade like the Dutch and Brazlian leagues, but not as good. It would take a 2022 World Cup for the MLS to become a top league.

7. leroy

If the MLS is still going strong in 2022, moving towards 30 years in existence, I'll be very happy. The only way for that to happen, though, is to have bigger draws who are also still relevant players. These guys need to be around for longer periods.

8. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I agree, guys like Beckham (who isn't going to stay much longer) and Henry are nice but its clear that we need them around longer than a one year loan. In order for them to stay longer, the talent and exposure would have to grow. The Red Bulls and Galaxy already have their international stars but what about the rest of the league? It all comes down to whether smaller market teams can draw international talent.

9. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

1 person likes this.
  10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

11. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Nice find!!

Chances are we don't get him but you have to appreciate the effort this team is putting in to get better.

12. leroy

Don't know if you don't try...

It would be huge for the Dynamo and the league. If he stayed for a couple of years, then it would be a guaranteed draw in the new house. He makes them better instantly up front. Still need someone to get him the ball and to create in the midfield. That is the top priority.

That said, we're talking about the winner of the best young player at the most recent World Cup. He's 21 and left Barcelona for Tottenham...so getting him to Houston might just be a pipe dream.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think it's a name being thrown out just to be thrown out. Love to be wrong, but he is a good talent.

Let's just say he wants to come to MLS, but at his age, and his game, other leagues and teams would want a crack at him. So you're basically fighting with MFL, and other European leagues.

14. leroy

Well, you have to figure the MLS will be 100% behind it. It would be a big star coming over BEFORE his prime...something that the league desperately needs to show it can do at some point in it's history.

Question is...what's the attraction for Dos Santos? A year in Robertson? He'd get all the playing time he wants and needs, but he'd certainly get it in the MFL, too. He'd be one of the top marketed stars in the MLS and just another player any where else. That is a positive for many people. Just depends on what he wants right now...at only 21.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Hopefully that ridiculous start doesnt make The Texans too comfortable

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

whoops, wrong thread......

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Where is Becks going to???

18. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I'm not up to speed with most of the transfer talk but I have read some rumblings of Beckham wanting to leave, but those reports were later denied. Personally I think he's gone after his contract expires but I could be wrong.

Anyways there is an updated MLS mock draft. With the 7th pick the mock has us taking Matt Kassel, a midfielder out of Maryland. Here is what the site had to say about him:

http://www.draftsite.com/mls/mock/2011

Not much to go on but he sounds like a good prospect but we already have plenty of midfielders as it is.

19. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I think the biggest priority should be getting a really solid young guy to help the defense in the backfield.

I do think we could do to have a more solid Forward to pair with Ching but what killed us this year had more to do with defensive lapses in our backfield.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Might as well use this as an MLS thread.

LA Galaxy hosting FC Dallas.

I'm pulling for LA for obvious reasons.

San Jose vs Colorado in the EASTERN BRACKET. Pulling for Colorado to win this.

Also, at the conclusion of the season, we have an expansion draft.