1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Baseballa, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

So I've been noticing a lot of "can't wait for this year to end" or "good riddance 2009" type statuses on Facebook, and it got me thinking: Has this been one of the worst years in recent memory? I just cannot remember any other year that so many people seem to hate.

It just seems like a lot of people I know had really rough personal years and then there was the incredible number of celebrity deaths and the crappy economy. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just under a 2009 black cloud?

2. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

2009 also sucked for my family - lots of relatives died, including an aunt we were all very close to, bad economy, etc. etc.

3. yo

yo Contributing Member

I wish our happiness didn't correspond to the state of the economy.

4. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

2009 was pretty bad...

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

**** 2009!

can't wait for a new year.

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Oh no celebrity deaths, how terrible :rolleyes:
    I don't get why people care so much about a celebrity. This has been one of the years with fewest death by naturaldisasters. 'Only' 10000, while the last 10 years it had been around 75000 each year. IMHO that is much more inportant than some celebrities. So in that case it has been a very good year.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

2010 probably won't be much better.

8. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

most celebrities have impacted our lives from childhood tv shows to people like michael jackson who revolutionized the whole music world.

unless we actually knew someone in these disasters, most of these other people who died in these natural disasters are just a lot of innocent people we didn't know or have any connection with. i know it sounds shallow and im not trying to say one life is worth more than the other, but it kinda explains why people tend to make more of a big deal about celebrity deaths.

1 person likes this.
  9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

ehhh.....it's had good and bad things.

Had a bad wreck, economy sucks, I live in Nacogdoches.....

But, can't really complain. Came out alright.

Bring on another year of mediocrity in America in 2010....

10. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

My 18-year old nephew, whom I loved dearly, died in a motorcycle accident. :(

Economy

It's been a difficult year but we made it through and the rest of my family are healthy. Looking forward to what is to come.

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I loved 2009.

Credit card debt had been hanging over my head for several years. I was so anxious every day. Business has been great at my company. This year, I paid of $10k in credit card debt and canceled several credit cards. It feels like a great weight has been lifted.

A family member got laid off in the first half of the year and that worried me. Only a few months later, they found a better job that paid 6 figures. They love it. Without the layoff, they wouldn't have gotten this new job.

12. Poloshirtbandit

It was kind of an average year for me. Nothing terribly bad or good happened.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Same thing different day. Why wait for a new year to do something different when you could have done it now?

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That's not living. You poor thing. ;)

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Most of it has to do with the global recession in one way or another.

- Massive headcount reduction in 2009 as a result of restructuring efforts across all sectors
    - Thousands more defaulted on their mortgages, while others have been struggling to maintain their payment schedules
    - Savings and 401k's getting wiped out, although the Dow closes at ~10.5 this year after dipping to an unreal 6.5 in March
    - Continued weakness in enterprise spending

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Some parts good. Some parts bad. Looking forward to 2010 regardless.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

We lost my wife's 94 YO grandmother on D-Day 2009 but my 23 YO daughter got engaged on Christmas Morning 2009!!

18. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Nah...folks are just anxious to move forward:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Pretty decent year on my end. My brother moved back home from NYC, no family deaths, made a lot of new friends through new ventures. I can't really complain.

20. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Much like 2008, 2009 was great for me - both personally and professionally. Despite the recession, the company I work for (a very large global energy firm) has had an extremely strong year. Job security, a raise, a nice bonus coming up, etc. As a result, I'm in a good position to buy a house this Spring.

Personally, paid off the car so I have no debt looming anywhere (until that mortgage starts up). Going on 11 years with the little lady. All is well on that front. I'm also a new uncle, and that's really cool. Guitar acquisition has been very nice as well. There will be much jangly 12-string noise in the house of kpsta! :cool:

So, I'm very thankful for 2009 and I'm looking forward to 2010. Best wishes to the rest of CF for a great New Year!