1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2009 NHL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BrooksBall, Apr 30, 2009.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

It's down to 8.

Eastern Conference

Carolina Hurricanes vs. Boston Bruins
    Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Washington Capitals

Western Conference

Anaheim Ducks vs. Detroit Red Wings
    Chicago Blackhawks vs. Vancouver Canucks

Make your predictions.

--------------

Awards

Here are the nominees.

Hart: Malkin, Datsyuk, Ovechkin
    Norris: Green, Chara, Lidstrom
    Vezina: Thomas, Mason, Backstrom
    Selke: Datsyuk, Richards, Kesler
    Lady Byng: Datsyuk, Parise, St. Louis
    Calder: Mason, Ryan, Versteeg
    Masterton: Zednik, Sullivan, Chelios

Make your predictions.

2. astros148

astros148 Member

lol you know its sad when NHL playoffs dont even make the front page of espn anywhere lulz

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

way to go San Jose!

4. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

All I know about Hockey is the Ovechkin is a beast

5. BrooksBall

They are my second favorite team. I worked in the San Jose area for about a year and got into them. The Ducks are a really good 8th seed but this was a massive blow to their franchise and fanbase.

6. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

No matter what, Penguins v Caps is going to be a HELL of a series.

Boston beats up on Carolina, Detroit over Anaheim, and Vancouver over Chicago.

7. BrooksBall

This man...

[​IMG]

is jizzing his pants over this...

[​IMG]

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

holy crap, the pens are playing the caps?

NBC must be salivating.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

it's funny, I was thinking about making this thread while I was at my friend's place about an hour ago.. and I was gonna put your name in it BrooksBall (thinking you're the only one who cares)

I just bought my tickets this morning to Games 1 and 2 of the Caps/Pens series! I'm pumped!! (pretty freaking impossible to get in on the presale for Game 1...I tried forever...I swear there were only 4 available seats in the upper levels)

10. kaleidosky

oh yeah, and i got my semin shirt today. GO FREAKING CAPS!

11. BrooksBall

I haven't been to a Caps game in about 15 years or so. I used to go to about 10 games a season with my father back in the day when I lived in D.C. and my father had season tickets. So much has changed since the Langway, Stevens days (the owner, the arena, the style of play). We used to be more like the Houston Rockets (defense-first). Now, we're more like the Phoenix Suns. I've been getting Center Ice since moving to Texas in 2002. I lost interest for a year or so after the lockout but starting watching religiously again toward the end of last season when the Caps went on that ridiculous run to squeak into the playoffs.

Enjoy the games and Rock the Red!

It's pretty amazing that my two favorite teams both got out of the 1st round for the first time in over a decade only 2 days apart. If the Rockets had won Game 5, they both would have done it on the same day. That would have been nuts.

12. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Eastern Conference

Boston over Carolina in 5
    Washington over Pittsburgh in 7

Western Conference

Detroit over Anaheim in 6
    Vancouver over Chicago in 6

Awards

Hart: Ovechkin
    Norris: Green
    Vezina: Thomas
    Selke: Kesler
    Lady Byng: Datsyuk
    Calder: Mason
    Masterton: Sullivan

13. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Eastern Conference

Boston over Carolina in 6
    Washington over Pittsburgh in 7

Western Conference

Detroit over Anaheim in 6
    Vancouver over Chicago in 5

The Washington vs. Pittsbburgh can go either way....Ovechkin hasn't had a great playoff, watch for him to catch fire, he loves playing against Crosby....... As much as I like Crosby, its Malkin that's the key to the Penguins, if he doesn't continue to shine, this series might not go for long.....BUT he hates the fact that Ovi and Sid get all the attention, I doubt he's not going to play well. GREAT GREAT SERIES!!!!

Boston should take care of Carolina ....easily!.... even though the Canes are playing some decent hockey right now.

Anaheim vs Detroit: I love Detroit's team, they have everything!!...BUT...no goalie i would trust at this point. If Osgood shows up they win easy, if he doesn't then Anaheim should win.

Vancouver vs. Chicago: I live in Canada, got to cheer and support my local team....Luongo makes the Canucks so much better than they really are...

14. BrooksBall

Here are my guesses...

Eastern Conference

Bruins in 6
    I want the Caps to sweep but I think the Penguins are the better team.

Western Conference

Ducks in 6
    Canucks in 7

--------------

Awards

Hart: I want Ovechkin to win it but I think it'll go to Malkin.
    Norris: I want Green to win it but I think it'll go to Chara.
    Vezina: Thomas
    Selke: Datsyuk
    Lady Byng: Datsyuk
    Calder: Mason
    Masterton: Zednik

#14 BrooksBall, May 1, 2009
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
  15. kaleidosky

don't i know it, man. That was the weirdest day for me.. I've never been into hockey until last year, and not REALLY into it until this year. So it was confusing to have 2 teams in important games at the same time. The same day, no less.. I was way high for game 7, and then way low for the rockets loss in game 5. Sports-confused emotionally!

But I'm back to double highs now, and like you said, it's been a long time for both teams which is awesome.

Oh and yeah, I hope Green can pull out the def. plyr award!

16. kaleidosky

bwaaaaaaaaaaaa amazing game to be at! Caps pulled it out 3-2...Varlamov played great, though the Penguins had a chippy they missed.

The Caps hit the post and/or crossbar FIVE different times in this game (3 by Ovechkin)...ridiculous. They were attacking better than they did in any game in the Rangers series I think..

I have a vid of Ovi's goal..

17. BrooksBall

Awesome that you got to see that live, dude. I am honestly jealous. I miss live hockey big time. I went to an Aeros game but that didn't quite do it for me.

Yup, we hit lots of posts, including one of Ovechkin's that hit the inside of the left post.

Crosby got robbed... that was a 2-on-2 and our defense blew it... a lot of great saves in hockey are made by simply not giving up, which is exactly what Varlamov did there. He was way out of position by the time Kunitz' pass got through. He just reached back and behind his body and stopped the puck with the heel of his stick. Crosby thought it was a tap in... so would any other player in the world.

Our D was not good enough in Game 1. The Penguins got way too many odd-man rushes, something I'm sure you know plagues the Caps at times. Whether it was Pothier or Erskine or whoever else, the Pens did good at picking up on our defensive mistakes. They just didn't finish. We need to tighten up our D next game, if possible. If a D-man pinches, one of our forwards has to backcheck.

We also can't keep giving away the puck that much. We were probably adjusting to the Pens after playing the Rangers more than the Pens had to adjust to us after playing the Flyers since the Rangers are a relatively unaggressive team (other than the first 2 periods of Game 7).

Another issue was in the face-off circle. The Caps were one of the best at face-offs during the regular season. Through 2 periods, the Penguins were completely dominating us. We did better in the 3rd. It may be that we were more fatigued or something but we are supposed to be the better team in this area and hopefully, we'll get that worked out as the series progresses.

Either way, we did some good things and got the win. It was great to see Flash get the game winner. He's been relatively quiet ever since catching pneumonia a few months ago. I am a fan of Fleischmann and I think I see why Boudreau keeps believing in him. He's an intelligent, skilled player that can create and finish. The Red Wings drafted him for a reason.

18. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Is Ovechkin playing hurt??

19. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Rootin for the Blackhawks and Capitals. I am a fan of Ovechekin, and I live in Chi-town I gotta at least cheer for my Hockey team. ;)

20. BrooksBall

I watched parts of the game last night. I like the Hawks, too. They have tons of skill and speed. I don't see any major weaknesses offensively or defensively or in their style of play. They play smart hockey and seem to buy into their coach's system. The only thing they lack to a certain degree is experience. If they can handle the pressure of playoff hockey as well as they have so far, they can play with anybody.