1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2009 NFL Draft Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Nov 10, 2008.

1. danny317

danny317 Member

id invest in the OL or DL.

if they draft a franchise LT, move brown to RT.

if they draft a DE, it would help mario and finally help us get a decent pass rush.

they could also use help in the secondary. maybe a 2nd or a 3rd on a safety.

2. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Eric Winston is a very good RT. They will not move Brown over to replace him...

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. But I do wonder the Texans will hesitate to take a LT because of Brown, I hope it doesn't because all 3 of those guys are really good prospects.

4. danny317

danny317 Member

is it possible for a player to change from a TE to a LT to a DE? :D

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

All for improving the Oline but my knowledge of the position is lacking.
    Are quality tackles more favored over guards or a center?

6. gucci888

Absolutely, especially the LT position.

7. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

If the Texans have a top ten pick this year (and it looks like they will) IMO they should take the highest rated player on their board regardless of position. If that is one of the LT prospects, then draft him and move Brown over to OG.

The Texans still have quite a few holes, so they shouldn't target just one position. IMO having a good pass rush would help the secondary tremendously, but our secondary is getting burned regularly and we could definitely use a blue-chipper back there. It doesn't matter to me who the Texans draft, so long as it helps the team win.

The 2006 Draft was phenomenal for us (Williams, Ryans, Winston, Daniels, Anderson and Spencer (he was a starter his rookie year and had a freak injury, I still call that a win)). The 2007 Draft doesn't look so great, but Okoye is young and maybe he can bounce back and make some strides the rest of the season and next year. Bennett was great last season (don't know why he is struggling this year) and Zac Diles was a great seventh round pick. Its too early to tell about the 2008 Draft, but Brown is cutting his teeth right now and will hopefully learn from his experiences now and become a better, more sound player. With yet another top ten pick (if the standings stay the same) the Texans will be in position to add an impact player at a number of positions where they need help. Lets hope they make the most of it.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ahhh...draft talk in november. dyn-o-mite!!!

9. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Why not draft a workhorse running back? Take a look at Atlanta and Baltimore. Both have ROOKIE QB's who have good running backs that take the pressure of the QB and keep the oppositions defense honest.

We need a playmaker with the first pick and draft defense (especially the secondary) for the later picks. A lot of good defensive players could be had in the later rounds if the Texans do their homework.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

we probably need some defensive linemen. i don't know whether to laugh or cry about that.

11. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Here are a few players that I would like to see the Texans get:

Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
    Freakish type athlete in the vein of a Julius Peppers. Would be the bookend to Mario.

Michael Oher OT Ole Miss
    Prototype left tackle. One of the best in the game. Adding Oher would allow the Texans to slide Brown inside to guard and solidify the oline.

Rey Maualuga MLB USC
    Big, physical presense at the middle lineback spot. Having a down year at USC but he would add an intimidation factor that the Texans just don't have.

Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma
    Massive player who would help the Texans be dominant at the point of attack and control the los.

Rashad Johnson S Alabama
    Former walk-on turned team captain. Smart player who defends the pass very well. A ballhawk in the secondary. Everytime I've watch the Tide this year, this guy is just making plays.

Macho Harris DB Virginia Tech
    True playmaker in the secondary who is a threat to score anytime he gets his hands on the ball. Could help the Texans in different aspects if they decide to get creative and use him in different ways. (I see him ending up going in the first round)

Rashad Jennings RB Liberty
    Physical back that has some ability to get to the second level and likes contact when he gets there. He's a small school guy that runs a little upright, but I think he would fit well in the ZBS and be a good compliment to Slaton.

Courtney Greene S Rutgers
    An all around player in the secondary that does a little of everything well.... Something the Texans need.

Tim Tebow QB Florida
    I think that he will stay for his senior year as he seems to enjoy Florida and probably needs more seasoning. But for me, there is just something about this guy and the toughness and physical nature he brings to the offense. I would love to see the Texans draft him at some point and have him sit and watch and learn for a couple of years (possibly utilizing him in certain situations) until he is ready as he has some touch and accuracy things to work on. But with time, I think this guy could add a whole different dimension to an offense. Like a Steve Young in Jason Witten's body.

#31 gunn, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  12. gucci888

Still don't think the Texans draft a QB, but both Stafford and Bradford are good pro-prospects.

13. Breaker

Breaker Member

I doubt we'll have a chance at them... unless we give up some picks to trade up. Even what happen after the Batlimore game, I still think we'll end up with 6 or 7 wins to end the season. This leaves us in the 12-15 draft range.

I think if we do end the season with QB being a big need(Sage being inconsistent, Schuab not playing another game this season, etc.) then we should trade down and pick up Nate Davis. He's is a JR. at Ball St. and is currently slated to go in the late 1st to early 2nd. Some draftniks are saying he's the best QB prospects to come form the MAC since Ben Roethslisburger. IMO, he's a perfect fit for the WCO, and would be absolutely beastly under Kubiak.

14. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Don't like Stafford, don't think Bradford will be great either. Tebow should be our guy if we want a QB.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think a more apt comparison would be to a young Jevon Kearse.. I've seen a lot of similarities in the last couple of years..

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Please say no to Tebow.

I'd rather draft best defensive player available (unless we can get one of the stud LTs).

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Tim Tebow?

Are you r****ded?

The Texans would be better off drafting him to play OL at this point.

He's got no future as a pocket passer in this league.

18. Asian Sensation

Patrick Chung- If I were a Texans fan I'd want him for sure. He's not getting much publicity this year because the Ducks aren't doing that well. But having watched him since he was a true freshman I can say he's a stud and defnitely ready to make an impact in the NFL. It's hard to predict where he will go at this point... I think someone may likely grab him in the 2nd round but he could slip to 4th all things depending upon rest of the games/ who shines in the bowl games/ combines etc.

19. danny317

danny317 Member

is this guy chinese or korean?

20. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Chung is bi-racial, his father being Chinese and mother Jamaican.