1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2009 Home Run Derby (Berkman)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by zlicciardo, Jul 5, 2009.

1. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

Participants
    The Participants were announced online on July 2nd exclusively on ESPN.com. The American League participants are Justin Morneau, Evan Longoria, Mark Teixeira, and Jason Bay. The National League participants are Lance Berkman, Albert Pujols, Ryan Howard, and Prince Fielder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Home_Run_Derby

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hope he bats right-handed so it doesn't mess up his stroke from the left side. I think he's only now recovering from last year's HR Derby at the old (sounds weird to say it) Yankee Stadium.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I never believed that theory but who knows...

They showed a replay of the '05 Derby in Houston the other day when he lost to Miggy in the finals. He went off during the semis, hitting like 4 or so in a row over the tracks in left field.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

interesting...i'll bet that makes him the leading reserve replacement for beltran or whoever too.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

hah, thought it seemed fishy with a wiki link and a July 2nd announcement date:

The National League participants are Lance Berkman, Albert Pujols, Pedro Martinez, DaDakota, Ryan Howard, and Prince Fielder.

there's no way lance is in it.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

hahaha

Got a good laugh out of that

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

8. desihooper

Supporting Member

Yeah, and he batted righty, right?

9. BrooksBall

Yes.

I still don't buy it but that's just my meaningless opinion. I could obviously be wrong. Over the years, several players have cited their concern that the derby could affect their swings.

I just can't see how years of practice and muscle memory could be affected by a few sessions of hacking the ball. Berkman also said something to that effect, arguing that he didn't deserve to be an All-Star if a HR Derby could screw up his swing. Although there have been 2nd half drop offs with guys like Abreu and Berkman, there have also been many more participants who hit as well or better in the 2nd half. To my knowledge, there is no signficant correlation between the HR Derby and players falling apart in the 2nd half of the season. The fact that it happened to a few participants doesn't necessarily prove anything.

Again, just my gut feeling on the subject... I am obviously no expert. I respect your opinion but disagree with it. My mind isn't closed to the possibility that it's true. I just haven't been convinced of it yet.

#9 BrooksBall, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  10. BrooksBall

11. desihooper

Supporting Member

I'm not sure which theory is more correct, I was just repeating what I remembered reading last year.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/allstar/2008-07-13-hrderby-preview_N.htm

There could be a fifth, if switch-hitter Lance Berkman of the Houston Astros decides to compete as a lefty. Berkman, who has 17 of his 22 home runs left-handed, said he will make his decision when he gets to Yankee Stadium.

The stadium's right-field foul pole is 314 feet from the plate. Berkman has batted right in three previous derbies, saying he didn't want to mess with his left-handed mechanics.

Regardless, Puma's not in it this year, so we'll have to hope he maintains his good form of late through the break :D

Go 'stros!

12. BrooksBall

That's true, too. Not sure how I forgot about that, esp. considering they mentioned it during the '05 Derby they showed a few days ago. You could be absolutely right. If it's true, I'm just shocked that one day of hacking at balls can have that kind of effect. If anything, I would have thought pulling a muscle or something like that would be the biggest concern.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Glad no Astros participating. Whether it does or doesn't, I don't want to take a chance that Lance screws up the relative tear he's been on. Since 6/24 (12 games), when he went 0-5 against KC to drop his avg to .239, he's gone 17/36 (.472) with 3 hr,10 rbi, & 11 bb.