1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2009 Denver Nuggets Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

It's time for our annual excuse for you guys to openly mock me (which I deserve) and for me to try to defend my fandom to this franchise.

I am beyond ecstatic to get Ty Lawson. I was furious last year when the Nugs didn't guarantee him at 20 (we were the team that was referenced last year about how he wanted a guarantee but couldn't get it) so to get him now with the pick we acquired from our first rounder last year makes me a happy panda. I'm in the minority in that I would like to see Carter re-signed if only because Karl LOVES playing the two PG offense and we have to rest Chauncey more this season if we want to do anything.

Sounds like the #1 priority this off-season is to re-sign Birdman. A year ago, you would be talking me off of the ledge. Now it's critical. Those two years made him a smarter player. We still need another front-court player. I'd LOVE to see us use our trade exemption and get an Emeka Okafor type player (just throwing him out as an example, I know NOTHING), but I doubt that happens. There's a lot of pressure in the front office building for Kroenke to spend money, but I doubt it happens. This does not make me happy.

Speaking of which, having heard how much you guys gave us for our pick, you must have REALLY liked Sergio Llull. Wow. :eek:

I'm thinking/hoping/praying that Kleiza has played his last game with the Nugs. Give his minutes to Balkman. Our three point shooting "potential" will go down, but productivity will go WAY up. And there will actually be defense which will be a nice change of pace. Not sure what's going on with Dahntay. I'd like to see him back, but wouldn't be heartbroken if he left. There's a veteran (13 year vet) swingman out there that the front office is hoping to go after. I don't know what's going on with his team but if the Nugs could land him it would be nice because he could come off of the bench which would allow JR to start. Plus, he's heady enough that we could play him with our rookie point and not have to worry as much.

RIGHT NOW, I picture next year's lineup as:

* Billups / Lawson / Carter
    * Smith / Jones OR Veteran Player I Mentioned / Weems
    * Melo / Balkman
    * KMart / FA Min Vet
    * Nene / Bird / Hunter

We'll fight for the division title with Portland (and probably lose) and end up as a 4-6 seed.

2. worzel gummidge

What figure did you hear?

3. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

portland? please man. the rockets are going to kill both of yall the only team we have to worry about in the west is either the spurs or lackers. thats it.

lets say the rockets dnt make any moves.
    we were good as it is. just add a little bit more expirience to every player, and then add tmac, which i know isnt that good, but its still one more threat. we went to the 2nd round and took the lakers to game 7 without yao or tmac.

denver lost in 5. dont be talkin.

4. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

Thats just how Les rolls. Top down holla out money aint a thang.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

You're not very bright, are you?

1 person likes this.
  6. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

I heard 3

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

iverson is a 13 year vet.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rocketman needs to backhand the Rocketboi...

9. Nuggets4

Not 100% certain it should be out there, but it's slightly less than the $3 million mentioned in this thread.

This is my new favorite post ever.

HA! Not going to get into the guessing game on the vet, but I enjoyed this. In all honesty, I still love AI. Don't want him back, but I was thrilled to have him on my team for 2 years. He's one of those guys you don't fully appreciate until you see him in person. I'm happy to say that I got to do just that numerous times. And even happier we dumped him before the rest of the league realized what we had figured out. :)

10. Dei

Dei Member

Has Carmelo Anthony reached his ceiling?

11. worzel gummidge

Crazy, Rockets buying 2nd rounders at 1st round rates...

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Nugs4

quick question what did you guys give up for Lawson? Cash and a future 1st? Cash only?

If Les paid 2.5 for the Llull(z) pick and then Denver used that 2.5 + like some more cash for Lawson that would have sucked.

Getting Lawson was a steal for you guys, carter imo was a terrible backup to chauncey, lawson will at least run along with (and pass by) all the other athletes you have

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think so, he's pretty tall.

14. Nuggets4

I don't think so. He's close, but I expect him to keep his all-around game he developed this year and improve his scoring by 2-3 ppg so he's back around 25 ppg. Billups has been great for him.

We traded Charlotte's protected first round pick. We gave them our first rounder (#20) last year for this one. We sent this one to Minnesota.

15. Nuggets4

I've seen it printed elsewhere (hell, it's probably on this board by now), but in case you haven't seen it -- $2.25 million.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Somehow you manage to make me laugh on an almost daily basis.

17. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

I think someone mentioned before that early 2nd round picks worth more than late 1st rounders, because you don't have to guarantee the contract.

18. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Lawson and Billups should be a nice 1-2 combo.

You have JR Smith starting which is interesting, if he starts do you think he´ll continue to shoot the lights out? I´m not sure.

19. worzel gummidge

Landry was drafted higher in the 2nd round than anyone in this year's crop. The Rockets bought his pick (31st) for 1 million.

20. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

You guys have pretty good team right now but you need to make a few adjustments.

1) Get a someone anyone that can make a freaking inbounds pass.

2) Give Melo the ball and just let him go to work on the block. He is very tough to defend when he plays physical post up game. Also he is a nightmare to box out on the rebounds. Make him play closer to the basket. Also Karl made some stupid decision of resting him early in the 4th qts of tight games. When Kobe is on the floor so should Melo.

3) Get rid of Kmart, trade him for a similar player like Curry or Randolph.

4) Give Nene the ball more often he should be your second option after Melo. Yeah Billups jacks up too many bad shots so make him play pass first PG.

Good luck with Rush Limbaugh!