1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2009, 2010, 2011 NBA REDRAFT. Where should Harden, Lin & Parsons be picked?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by charles_zed, Mar 21, 2013.

1. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

So in retrospect knowing everything that we do now, if we could do a re-draft where would you take Harden, Lin & Parsons in their respective classes?

2009 NBA Draft

"And with the #1 draft pick the Houston Rockets select... James Harden"

#2 Blake Griffin
    #3 Stephen Curry
    #4 Jrue Holiday
    #5 Ty Lawson

Lots of guards in that draft. I think you could make a very compelling case for Blake Griffin over James Harden given the dearth of quality big men in this league and that Blake Griffin is the best PF going around right now with more upside to unravel. However Harden is a true SG in a league deficient at the position as well. I also like his offensive arsenal, acumen and his play-style isn't highly dependent on freakish athleticism so he should age quite well.

Other notables - Ricky Rubio, Demar Derozan, Taj Gibson, Toney Douglas, Jordan Hill, Earl Clark, Danny Green, Patrick Beverley.

2010 NBA Draft

#1 Paul George
    #2 Larry Sanders
    #3 Demarcus Cousins
    #4 John Wall
    #5 Jeremy Lin
    #6 Derrick Favors
    #7 Gordon Hayward
    #8 Greivis Vasquez
    #9 Greg Monroe
    #10 Ed Davis

People complained that this was a weak draft class but it's shaping up to be quite a good one. No household names but lots of borderline all-star quality talent in multiple positions headlined by a potential superstar in Paul George. I take Sanders over Cousins because his 'potential' can only take him so far - Cousins hasn't shown himself to be a good rim protector and has attitude and motor issues. He's a physical freak with talent at the C position and playing in Sacramento where careers go to die so I still take him at #3, which is kind of sad.

John Wall vs Jeremy Lin vs Greivis Vasquez
    is interesting. I think Lin has a good mix of both worlds here. Vasquez is playing great this season but he's still got a lower ceiling than the other two being a giant and slow PG in a league dominated by athletic ones. Lin has a good mix of currently producing well while still possessing great upside. Wall can't hit the three and has a broken jump-shot which can be a problem on a lot of teams, as well as being injury prone, having attitude issues and being in line for a big contract. People might think it's ridiculous but you could make a case for Lin over Wall, though I still take Wall over Lin because he's still producing well and has Westbrook/ Rose/ Franchise caliber athleticism even if he does have a broken jump-shot.

2011 NBA Draft

Looking like it'll shape up to be considered one of the weakest drafts ever.

#1 Kyrie Irving

#2 Enes Kanter
    #3 Kenneth Faried
    #4 Klay Thompson
    #5 Kawhi Leonard
    #6 Chandler Parsons
    #7 Donatas Motiejunas
    #8 Nikola Vucevic
    #9 Derrick Williams
    #10 Asack Ofpotatoes

It's hard to rationalise my selections here. Enes Kanter is still very raw and by Utah fan accounts isn't ready to be a starting C. However he's shown glimpses of being a fantastic defensive anchor with some offensive game and is still only 20 years old. So than why not pick D-Mo higher? Because while I do feel D-Mo has all-star potential, after watching him closely he's still clearly a project player that could end up only being an off-the bench big. Higher reward but even higher risk.

Klay vs Kawhi vs Chandler Klay is an elite shooter that is decent enough in most other aspects of his game. Kawhi vs Parsons to me is like Wall vs Lin - While Parsons has the more complete game currently, Kawhi is still producing even in his limited role at the Spurs and he has the physical tools to be an even greater player. Parsons is a great glue guy but Kawhi and Klay both have all-star potential while Parsons doesn't excel at any one thing, but he is a fantastic & versatile wing player.

2. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

My List:

#1 Paul George
    #2 John Wall
    #3 DeMarcus Cousins
    #4 Derrick Favors
    #5 Greg Monroe
    #6 Larry Sanders

As much as i love Jeremy, i still won't draft him ahead of those. Maybe Sanders but only if the team needed a PG.

1 person likes this.
  3. gengar

gengar Member

The sad thing about Lin is that, even though he has proven time again and again that he is a better PG than Wall, beating him last year, embarrassing him in summer league, he has to constantly prove it because Wall is #1 drafted while Lin is undrafted.

The only thing Wall has over Lin is that he has slightly better athleticism (not even by much) and Wall gets to be the main focal point of his team's offense and carries out PG duties with no constant benching like Lin goes thru, and thus leads to higher numbers on the stat sheet.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Enes Kanter is still very raw and by Utah fan accounts isn't ready to be a starting C.

Nah, that doesn't sound right. Maybe by Corbin's account.

Utah fans were hoping the Jazz would trade Jefferson so that Kanter could play. Most Utah fans can't wait to get rid of both Millsap and Jefferson.

When they were hurt, Kanter had some fantastic games and it looks like he's back to riding the bench. Kanter is going to be a dominant player in this league. He finishes well around the rim and plays great defense. Better defense than Jefferson, I really have no idea why they play him as little as they do. Hopefully they do something stupid and trade him before be breaks out because that is only a matter of time.

5. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Lin #2 in the draft behind Paul George. Easy. Anything else is silly.
    Cousins has #1 talent but he'll never pan out because he's a head case. Once he signs his next big contract you can forget about him ever producing.
    Wall over Lin? LOL come on. Wall hasn't gotten any better since he got in the league.
    Maybe Sanders over Lin depending on team need.

Parsons probably spot on. He's a good bargain at his current rate but at that slot he's getting pretty big bucks for what he is. But he's a solid starter in the league which many lottery picks don't end up being. DMo prob a few slots too high.

Harden over Blake? To me that's iffy. I would be thrilled with either one but might lean towards Blake. Harder to get a top notch PF than a SG. I think if you asked Morey to trade Harden for Blake straight up he does it.

1 person likes this.
  6. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

I think Lin is better than Wall... even taking into account potential

7. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Cousins hasn't lived up to his potential but he is already better than lin at this point. Lin is a good PG but he's easily replaceable. PG's of his caliber aren't exactly the hottest commodity in this league.

^ Exactly, I wouldn't draft Lin before any of those guys either.

8. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Just my opinion, but I disagree. A young, fast, penetrating pg with great court vision, a budding floor general not just a pg who dribbles it up and can shoot shots, can affect the game so much that I don't know how you can say it wouldn't be a hot commodity. And why would you pick Wall over Lin?? Have you ever seen Wall play? I also think, imo, that you're mistaken if you think Lin can be easily replaceable. This offense is predicated on three principles, run n gun, drive and kick, and the Harden-iso, and Lin is one of the best young transition pgs in the league with not many better and is also one of the best penetrating pgs in the league. I think everyone's underestimating Lin, truth be told. You don't get ranked so high on offense, solely because of Harden. Lin, Asik, Parsons are far better than what most people believe, in my opinion.

9. conquistador#11

2009:
    I always poke fun at the let's tank for the number one pick crowd, as so many variables have to pan out. Like, A franchise player comes around once every five years and if you wanted to tank, it should have been around the 2007-2008/2008-2009 seasons. And that was not going to happen since they were 50 win teams. Harden is definitely a once in a decade franchise player worthy of the number one pick.

2010: Lin stays at #5 but I'd put vasquez ahead of lin at #4. Love that guy and wanted the rox to make a play for him last season. wall behind lin though.
    What "experts" and armchair gms forget is that in this offense more than 12 shots from Lin are not needed unless he is on fire. No doubt in my mind that at 44% clip, if lin took 15 shots he too could get 16.8 pts.

2011: Chandler at #4. He continues to make improvements in his game and a better rounded player.

Asik is deserving of top 8 selection also for the 2008 draft.

10. Normalus

Normalus Member

LOL. Vucevic underrated in your draft and Kanter is even out of draft list lol, wgat a bust

11. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I think Wall probably has a higher ceiling than Lin, but I don't know about his work ethic. Lots of players seem to have better "tools" than Jeremy, but who knows what goes on in their heads? Look at JR Smith. He should be a top player with his gifts, but he's an idiot.

Where Irving, Lillard, Wall, Rubio, and Jeremy end up will be very interesting.

12. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Harden would be the 1st pick.

Lin would be 6th or 7th after/before Bledsoe. Wall would be the second pick after Paul George. Vasquez would be 5th.

Parsons would be 7th or 8th.

13. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

yeah Lin probably in the top 10 around right, as is Parsons. Dmo I don't know, I like his potential, but he needs to put it together for at least a couple months for me to believe.

Is it just me or is there a lot less predictability in draft nowadays compare to the 90s? the failure rate for early draft is getting higher and the late picks turning out good is becoming more common ?

14. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

And in the 2012 draft I'm still taking Anthony Davis over Lilliard. **** the hype. Lilliard's a stud but Davis is going to be a top big man in this league.

15. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

OP is crazy. Motejunas over Vucevic? Vucevic is averaging a double double and had some 20+ rebonds games. He is a legit threat down low and a quality defender. Would take him way before D-Mo.

16. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I'll have to disagree. While it's true that this league is moving away from "true" big men, Monroe & Favors have the ability to be complete game changers on both offense and defense. I mean, look at what Favors did toward the end of the game last night, at least defensively.

Lin is great, but his true calling, I think, is just on the offensive end.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Agreed, Anthony Davis seems really underrated right now, not sure why. He's playing great. He's only 19, too, by comparison Lillard is already 22. Lillard is pretty close to his ceiling, sky's the limit for Davis.

18. joepu

joepu Member

2nd that. Favors and Monroe are still improving. IMO, they have more all star potential. Not saying Lin has not room to grow but he has less upside. In the end an above average big man is still more valuable than an above average point guard.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

There is no bias in this thread.

2 people like this.
  20. Sen89

Sen89 Member

OP doesn't know anything involving the NBA and not the Rockets