1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2008 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Obama (D-IL) vs. McCain (R-AZ)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GuerillaBlack, Jun 3, 2008.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Because they were pulled, this proves he's a secret Muslim terrorist who doesn't want people to know he's a secret Muslim terrorist.

Of course, if they were not pulled, it would also prove that he's a secret Muslim terrorist who doesn't want people to know he's a secret Muslim terrorist but is sending signals to his secret Muslim terrorist masters.

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Awesome.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Sorry wes

I’m just not feeling the feigned, indignant outrage.

You have work to do!

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This video changed my mind...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FiQJ9Xp0xxU&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FiQJ9Xp0xxU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Yeah, I wasn't either. I'm just not good at it.

Literally.

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Could somebody remind me why my blowout prediction was so silly again?

Among battleground states Obama now leads in:

Pennsylvania
    Ohio
    Florida
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota
    Michigan
    Virginia
    Colorado
    New Mexico
    Iowa
    New Hampshire

Among battleground states, McCain now leads in:

Nowhere.

In fact, since Obama clinched the nomination, not a single poll has shown him trailing in any of the above states (source: RealClearPolitics.com).

And he's in striking distance in Missouri, Nevada and North Carolina.

If the election was held today, it would be an electoral blowout of epic proportions.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

There's nothing silly about it. It could be a blowout for either candidate. I personally think it'll be fairly close, I wouldn't be shocked if Obama ended up with over 300 electoral votes.

That's just it though. The election's in over 4 1/2 months. Remember, Dukakis had a sizable lead at this time in 1988. Yes, I realize the economy was doing a lot better back then and there was no Iraq war, but my point is things can change very quickly.

The debates are gonna be very important in this election. The vast majority of Obama supporters(as well as independents who are considering voting for him) still don't know very much about the guy and what his agenda is. Once he actually has to answer some legitimate questions and not just give a prepared speech, I think the polls could get a lot tighter.

8. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's silly because you're not taking into account the crippling blow that will be dealt to the Obama campaign when the super secret tape comes out of Michele at a joint Black Panther/Al Qaeda conference leading a rousing chorus of "Kill All the Crackers".

9. Major

Major Member

I may disagree with him politically, but Huckabee has really lived up to his "better person/politician" character.

Huckabee: Demonizing Obama is a ‘fatal mistake’

(CNN) – Former GOP presidential contender Mike Huckabee called Barack Obama's candidacy "a landmark achievement" Tuesday, and warned fellow Republicans not to demonize Obama.

"Republicans will make a fundamental if not fatal mistake if they seek to win the election by demonizing Barack Obama," Huckabee told reporters in Tokyo, according to a report by Agence France-Presse.

Huckabee praised the country for getting "to a point where we did not see his color but we truly saw his charisma, his message and what he brought to the campaign trail."

"When people are really hurting — and they are right now — they're not looking at a person's race," he added.

Huckabee said he hopes John McCain beats Obama, but that Republicans should focus on policy differences, not race.

Huckabee suggested questions about whether he might join McCain on the ticket were premature. "You can't accept an invitation to the prom until the football captain asks you. So I'm not going to go out and buy the outfit just yet," said Huckabee, according to AFP.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The last paragraph of that is hilarious.

11. rimrocker

That wasn't a joke... he was talking in Republican code.

For if his statement is true, only 3 couples would go to the prom, while the rest of the student body is left outside looking in... a perfect metaphor for GOP economic policies. ;)

12. Batman Jones

By tomorrow, the map at www.electoral-vote.com will show Obama with over 340 electoral votes to 194 electoral votes for McCain.

That reflects the latest polls which show Obama maintaining the lead in every single state Kerry won and adding CO, FL, IA, MO, NM, OH and VA.

Talk about a landslide in the making.

And how about this nugget from Rasmussen?

Obama now trails in Alaska by only 4 points. In a state that has only voted Dem once (LBJ '64) in its entire history.

#112 Batman Jones, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What nugget on which state?

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I believe it's Virginia. But I could be mistaken.

15. Batman Jones

Oops. Alaska. Will edit above for clarity. O leads in VA. He's only 4 down in Alaska.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Some of these recent polls don't make sense to me. If Obama is up only 3-4% nationwide according to Rasmussen, why would his electoral lead be so large? Using your Alaska example, if Obama is competitive in a state like that, his nationwide lead should be 10-15% to match the trend.

mcmark, barring some unforeseen circumstances, Obama winning VA would not surprise me. That state is purple, and turning more blue as time goes on.

The microscope on this presidential election is just blowing me away. I think it is great, especially with the whole world looking at us.

Last comment: Remember that Obama rarely seemed to perform as well as pre-election polls and exit polls indicated.

17. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Awesome. Let's hope this continues on into November.

18. Major

Major Member

I agree with this - the state polls don't seem to mesh with the national ones. I'm going to pose this question to the fivethirtyeight.com people and see if they can back out the data. If the state polls are accurate, based on their populations, what would the national lead look like?

19. rimrocker

The last two elections have been incredibly close. A swing of +4-5% for the Dem candidate spread over the country simply puts more states into play. For instance, Bush beat Kerry by 1% in Iowa, 2% in Ohio, 1% in New Mexico, 5% in Florida, 3% in Nevada, and 5% in Colorado. That's 81 electoral votes potentially added to Kerry's 252... and Kerry had a lot of 6-9% deficit states where Obama's polling well.

20. Major

Major Member

I agree with this part - but what I don't understand is that he seems to have made up huge amounts of ground in a lot of states. Like going to single digits in West Virginia or turning a 5 pt hole to a 5 pt lead in Florida. Yet, over these few weeks that's happened, his national lead has held fairly steady - maybe gone up a few points. Something doesn't fit there.