1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2008 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Obama (D-IL) vs. McCain (R-AZ)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GuerillaBlack, Jun 3, 2008.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Missed it. Can someone give me a link?

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Whoever can say, "Yay America!"

[​IMG]

Which one can do that?

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A7RuX4pQPLY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A7RuX4pQPLY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

It was as bad as he has ever been. He looked and sounded a wreck. And his entire speech (and even the slogan printed behind him) was defensive. So far, the entire conversation is being defined by Obama -- never more so than in McCain's truly awful speech tonight. And Obama brought it back to him hard.

This is going to be a blowout.

5. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

A good barometer is Traitor_Jorge's fury over Obama clinching the nomination. :D Between that and Fixed News' pundits heads exploding right about now, I'd say it's been a good evening! :D

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You are dead wrong and I promise you it will not. The GOP machine will pull trees up by the roots and throw them at Obama if they have to. They will find any number of issues ranging from Michelle Obama, to Obama being a closet Muslim, to Jeremiah Wright, to whatever they can pull out of you know where. Fear is something they are experts at playing on. Don't be overconfident because Obama will hit another valley or two of some kind along the way.

The only way it's a blowout is if McCain's campaign dies late in the game (Jimmy Carter in 1980 comes to mind), which I don't see happening. He's had a terrible start, IMO, but I expect him to pull it together. This will be a tight election. Maybe I'm biased, but I will be disappointed if this turns into a blowout by either side.

7. Batman Jones

I'm sorry to disappoint you. But not that sorry.

8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

That stuff works well when everything else is going well. But when you are stuck in a foolish war and an economy that is in near recession territory it's not quite as effective.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Completely agree. It's bizarre to think in these terms, but this entire election year essentially ended on Feb. 12 with the Potomac Primary.

10. Batman Jones

Yep. Obama vs. the McCain that ran in 2000 would have been a great race. This is just going to be embarrassing.

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

On the one hand, we have the Democratic party split in two. Hillary voters are livid. Obama supporters are high on Hopium and have turned into crazy zombies. Obama is a left-wing politician, certainly there is no disputing that. He is as lefty as they come on all issues.

On the other hand, you have a conservative democrat in McCain -- a true centrist with broad appeal among independents. Large numbers of Hillary voters are voting for him.

McCain is going to win this one going away, folks, despite the FANTASTIC political environment that the libs find themselves in. If they can't beat Bush in '04 AND they can't beat a Republican in '08, the dems really need to assess the need for their existence. We are already paying the 'Pelosi Premium' at the pump, at the grocery store, etc, in price increases since the libs took over Congress. Enough is enough.

12. Batman Jones

Poor George.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You must have missed the election in 2000. Bush won.

We have 5 month to go. There are going to be a bunch of twists and turns before the ballots are cast. Obama will make mistakes and gaffes too.

Some of you Dems are experiencing post-convention euphoria in early June.

14. The Cat

I must have missed a disastrous Republican administration in the eight years preceding 2000. Otherwise, I don't get the comparison.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sorry, I meant 2004 when Bush beat Kerry with fear tactics and smears during a foolish war.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I think Obama wins a substantial electoral victory. But I don't want to think that.

The smart Repubs probably have come around to accepting that Obama will win... their goal will be to use the election season to drive up Obama's negatives as high as possible in the hopes of hurting down ticket races and hampering his ability to push stuff through when he tales office.

Obama and all Dems who are thinking beyond November need to work hard for Obama and get as many Dems into the House and Senate as possible to overcome whatever the Repubs throw at him.

Then, the day after the election is when the real work begins.

There's no room for complacency on behalf of any American who has issues with the last 8 years.

17. The Cat

I think replacing Kerry with Obama and the increased distance from 9/11 makes this campaign entirely different, as well. Also, opinions of the war weren't nearly as negative as they are today.

18. Batman Jones

Agreed, rimrocker.

Let's also not forget that as bad as Bush ever was on the stump, he was never as bad as McCain was tonight. It was an amazing display. Obama should run to win in every single state. He won't win them all, but I really don't think any one of them is off the table.

19. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I think Obama has many things going for him and is more likely than not to win, but I have a hard time finding the math for a plausible electoral blowout.

20. Batman Jones

There hasn't yet been a credible head to head poll. Check back in a week or three. The Democratic Party has been stringently split in two. Tomorrow, unity begins. And the 36 million voters, half of which have hated the candidate of the other during every previous poll, will begin to come together.

No serious person disputes the bounce that Obama is about to get.

But regardless of any that, look at the two speeches tonight. Imagine the two of them sharing a stage. Then remember how bad it was for Nixon to stand on stage with JFK. Then understand how much worse it will be for McCain to stand side to side with Obama.