1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2007-08 Hollinger Projections

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by richter911, Sep 11, 2007.

Tags:
  1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Yao 2007-08 Projected PER @ a league leading 28.51?

LOL ... gotta love Hollinger for the hype, but I don't see that happening.

New head coach, new teammates, new offensive system that depends less on one- or two-man show, lingering shoulder problem, concerns for possible toe/foot/leg re-injuries, Olympic games in the back of his mind, new family ... you name it. I wouldn't be surprised some of Yao's numbers may actually go down slightly, for instance, ppg or mpg. However, if he makes up those declines with increasing FG% and rebounds, I'd say he still meets my expectation, as far as individual stats are concerned.

In the end, none matters more than leading the Rockets deep into the NBA playoffs and the CNT to new height in the Olympics .

#21 wnes, Sep 11, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  2. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Remember, this is what the computer spits out. A centers of Yao's age that put together the sort of stats he has the last few years ... usually come through with the sort of PER Hollinger has listed.

It isn't what HOLLINGER thinks is going to happen, it's the projections of his stat model based on what has happened over the last 30 years to comparable players.

It's the problem with the ESPN switch. In his books, Hollinger would say something like "I think his PER projection is too low" or "I find his projections to be a little optimistic" on about 30-35 percent of the player profiles. The issue is, few read the profiles (not harping on you, WNES, I agree with your points, and I just needed the quote). The reports offer qualifiers.

That said, the projections, through the years, having been overwhelmingly spot-on to these eyes.

#22 KellyDwyer, Sep 11, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  3. abundance

abundance Member

Yao had the 3rd highest PER in the league for 2006-07. It wouldn't be a stretch to go up only 2 slots.

4. abundance

abundance Member

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Though on that same note.. Tmac was predicted at 12 and ended up at 13

6. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Once again, people need to read the profiles.

A further explanation:

READ THE PROFILES.

7. abundance

abundance Member

The projections are still for 2007-2008, but the player profiles have not been updated, yet. We will have to wait for the profile update to see what Hollinger thinks about Yao in Adelman's new system.