1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2006 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Marteen, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Marteen

Marteen Member

Looking back, do you think the Texans made the right choice in not selecting Bush or Vince and taking Mario Williams?

We have Matt Schaub as quarterback, and even though we could use a running back, Mario was really the best pick of the three, imo. Even though Bush won a Super Bowl before the rest of the draft, it was really more of Brees owning the reason why they won it.

What do you guys think? You guys still boo'ing the Texans for not choosing Vince or Reggie by choosing Mario? :)

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't think this has really been brought up before, to my knowledge.

3. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

But...but...that highlight video of Reggie Bush. Mario Williams...wtf was the front office thinking?

4. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

no need to cry about it tho? u know ?

I wanted Bush at the time. I'm glad we took Mario. Today, it is the correct pick.

5. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

here is one that most people don't realized.

Gary Kubiak has only had 1 losing season as Head Coach of the Houston Texans.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

The only boo's I yelled at were at VY and the t***.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

It was the right pick, Reggie makes plays when isn't hurt and Vince would have been REALLY bad without a running game and defense. Mario may have had an off year last season but still a dominant DE, when motivated.

8. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

He's one thing that you don't realize. Gary Kubiak is 31-33 as the Texans head coach.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was just pissed that they kept trying to convince us that DAVID CARR was a good QB.

Rocket River
    I would have been happy if they would have gotten Kelvin Colb or something .
    just don't tell me that Carr is good enough and salvagable when everyone
    in Houston knew that was a BIG FRICKING LIE!!

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

^ Karl Kold was drafted in 2007.

11. Landlord Landry

I think one could make a serious case that Reggie Bush is the biggest bust of all time. even bigger than Jamarcus Russell.

I know Bush has a ring and he makes plays......but the hype surrounding that kid coming out of school was unprecedented. He hasn't come close to living up to it. maybe it was just BSPN selling the goods, but I just remember everyone talking him up.

Everybody not named Al Davis knew Jamarcus Russell was gonna flunk hard. When everybody says you're gonna be a bust, I'm not really sure that qualifies as a huge bust.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You have a point. The expectations for Bush were basically either be Jesus in cleats or fail. The expectations for Russell were pretty much to not suck or at the very least avoid eating himself out of the league in 5 years.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It looks like the Texans made the right choice. Mario is very good at times, Reggie Bush and Vince have also been good at times. But Bush is injured a lot, and Vince has mental problems. So, I'm glad we picked Mario.

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Every article about the Texans refers to them making the right choice in 06. If even the media and espn think this can anyone really find a dissenting opinion anywhere, let alone in Houston? How is this question still relevant?

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

AND THEY PASSED ON HIM!!

Rocket River

16. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Stop making excuses. Then they should have used their draft pick to sign Klingler.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Reggie Bush had ridiculous hype. Darren McFadden sadly isn't far behind him.

I think when it is all said and done, the Raiders draft of Russell/McFadden/Heyward-Bey will be the worst combined picks of all time. Talk about the anti-triplets.

Ryan Leaf is still the biggest bust of all time in my mind. People were saying that if Peyton Manning was the next Dan Marino, Ryan Leaf was the next Joe Montana. The meltdown he went through was ridiculous. The kid simply couldn't handle his emotions.

Jamarcus was always an idiot, he went from relatively unimpressive to super stud prospect after 1 bowl game and the combine.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

19. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

No, i knew that actually.

so should we fire him? and start over? no

20. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Would we been a better team if we had drafted Maurice Jones Drew with the first pick in the 2nd round instead of DeMeco? WE could sure of used him last year. Hindsight 20 20 we could of packaged both our high 3rd round picks to get in the 2nd round, but that would of mean no Eric Winston.