1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2005 Minnesota Summer Leagues - Game 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rockets pull it out by cranking up the defense and the running game again in the 2nd half.

Rockets 93
    Knicks 76

Boxscore - http://www.nba.com/media/timberwolves/jul18_hou-nyk.pdf (thanks micah1j)

High scorers - Lonny Baxter - 27, Dion Glover - 21
    Disappointing - Luther Head (sort of), Malick Badiane

Should I be worried or should I wait?

Head got into a bit of foul trouble, but it was strange that he didn't see any action that I recall in the 4th quarter. He was still hustling on defense but didn't leave much of an impact on the game offensively.

So what should I expect from Luther Head? Should I expect more than what I've seen? Should I see a shooter? A gunner? A scorer? A PG? A SG? A hybrid? Since I don't follow college basketball, I don't know what to expect from him. He is a #24 pick, so I shouldn't expect Tim Duncan talent. One thing is certain so far in this summer league - his shot hasn't been all that great. He is gutsy on defense and this game was no different. He goes after steals - sometimes he wins, other times he loses and it allows the opponent to get into the paint easily or causes the Rockets defense to crumble on the perimeter. He was still running like a gazelle. I saw him lose his man on defense a couple of times during the game, but I also saw him run the court beautifully. I envisioned TMac and Head flying down the court with ____insert_PG's_name_here____ throwing the ball to either wing on a fast break. Head is fluid, smooth, and can run.

So what am I worried about? What is it I'm not seeing? Honestly what I'd like to see that I'm not seeing is a first round draft pick saying I'm going to take it to these guys. Not every time, but I guess more than I'm seeing. It's almost as if he's content being wherever he needs to be and shoot if he needs to. Yes we have a team with Yao and TMac, so he's at best a 3rd or 4th option even if he gets any minutes - but you can't be the threat that pulls double teams away from Yao and TMac if you don't take a shot.

Maybe I'm expecting too much or all the wrong things. Maybe he's doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing - playing within the flow of the game. Maybe he's still learning. What I've seen of him has been solid so far. But when I think of Luther Head, I wanted to perhaps see a Cuttino Mobley on offense minus the ill-advised shots. A Cuttino like the one that played for us in his final year here. What I think I see is a Rodney McCray (old school) who just does everything good, but nothing great. Pass, rebound, dribble, score just enough, etc.

But as I said, this is probably way too early to make judgments. I hope he evolves because his composure and athleticism combined with little showboating is rare.

Malick Badiane...

I'm officially off the Malick Badiane bandwagon for now. I don't know what to say except the guy I'm seeing out there playing is pretty much the same guy I saw 2 years ago. If anything, he seems to have regressed. He used to be wherever the ball was. Now he's got Mutombo Disease in that he can't hold onto balls (which I guess was an issue 2 years ago, too). His offensive movements aren't fluid - he almost has to think to move his leg in order for it to move... right... left... shoot. What also didn't help Malick was the fact that he had 3 fouls by 6:12 of the first quarter. Now watch him go for 40 tomorrow.

Lonny the Garbage Man

I honestly do not know why this guy cannot get a gig anywhere in the league. You've got to be kidding me if you tell me this guy isn't better than many of the stiffs on the teams in the NBA. I'm not saying he's going to score like he has in the summer leagues, but anybody that can hit a 15-18 foot jumper like he has been all day and can bang inside with that body of his has got to be valuable for at least 10 minutes a game. Lonny was scoring in a million different ways. He's got this baseline up and under move that goes either for a layup or a monster reverse jam. The latter has been getting a rise out of summer league fans thusfar. Then he pops out about 20 feet on the baseline one time today and tags a jumper from out there. Then he moves over to the elbow about 15-17 feet out and pops jumpers from there. He's not a one trick pony - he's got moves. One of my favorite moves of his is a pumpfake that everyone has been biting throughout this summer league. NBA players may not bite, but it's nice to see the guy has all kinds of tricks. The only negative I've seen about Lonny is that he's been winded with extended play in these games. You'd think that a guy that wants to play in the NBA would be in some kind of shape before playing in these games. It seemed as if the coaches rested him before the 4th in this game so he wouldn't be winded at the end, and it paid off. Dion Glover threw a pass the length of the court that Lonny had hauled butt to meet and threw down a reverse jam. I hope he gets a shot at making this team. He's got the kind of skills that could help us for 10-15 mins a game.

Dion Glover

No catchy title. I'm tired. Dion is an interesting player. I've never watched him play much, but he seems to be able to handle the ball, penetrate, hit a jumper, etc. The only negative I see sometimes is that he seems to take it upon himself to score even when people such as Baxter or Head are out there and can also do the scoring. Dion sometimes has a tendency to jack up a shot off the dribble when he could have made another pass or pulled the ball back out. He can score, but at what cost? He's had a good summer league so far, and today was no exception with his 21 point outing. It'll be interesting to see if he gets an invite to camp. From what I've seen, he's no worse than the worst Bob Sura or David Wesley have shown us, plus he's 6'5", young, and isn't injured.

Miscellaneous...

David Bluthenthal showed off the long range strike ability that pissed me off when we played the Kings during the regular season. He stroked about 2 or 3 long range 3's and another long range 2. He's got a beautiful shot for someone his size.

Thibodeaux was yelling at the players to run and push the ball today. I hope we see some of that during the regular season. The Knicks held a 26-17 lead at the end of the 1st quarter that was cut to 46-43 at halftime. The Rockets turned up the defense at around the halfway mark of the 4th quarter and the Knicks just fell apart. What was a close game ended up being a blowout as a result.

Once again, Luther Head played very little PG duty.

Nate Robinson was a spark plug out there. He was everywhere doing everything. He's fast as hell, can dunk at 5'9" (I think) and nearly blocked 2 of Dion Glover's shots - one was on a fast break! He got a tech during the game, so his composure may be an issue. But from what I saw, he's going to be fun to watch.

#1 Dr of Dunk, Jul 18, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow, Lonny Baxter is really kicking butt. I hope we can use him in our rotation.

By the way, DoD, WE GOT SWIFT!

3. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

WAIT...didnt we play the knicks?

Thats what it said on NBA.com schedule

4. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i think we can start to pencil in lonny baxter for the regular season. i know it's a little early but he's been great so far and looks like he could be a nice 3rd PF off the bench for very little money. now only if we can get rid of spoon's and baker's contracts....

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

DoD, how many points did Swift score?.....oops, crossing the streams there, sorry. ;)

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Good catch! I copied and pasted that format from one of the other posts. I changed it. :)

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Thanks. Looks like we are having too many PFs after the addition of Swift. I hope we can dump spoon and baker, make room for baxter.

8. TigerBait

TigerBait Contributing Member

610 just said they would update us on Game 4 of the Summer League as soon as the information becomes available. Their waiting for you DoD!!

9. micah1j

micah1j Member

LOL, this is soooooo true! :D :D

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Hehe...610 knows where to get their Rockets information. ;)

I really hope Baxter makes the team this year if he can do some of this in the big leagues. As long as he's better than Spoon and Baker, which isn't too hard to do. We just need an insurance guy in case Howard isn't healthy.

So at 6'5" I guess Glover is pretty restricted to SG? I remember him a bit from Atlanta. It'd be nice if he could play some backup SF, but I don't really see him making the team even with good summer performaces.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Thanks DoD

Great to hear about Baxter....looks like b/t him, Juwan, and Swift our PF depth is all settled now.

Head's game is sounding more like Michael Dickerson's than Mobley's now. Maybe his mindset is like Bob Horry's and he only wakes up when the games actually count. He is coming off the NCAA championship game, so perhaps he's just going thru the motions in this summer league.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Head ain't sounding so hot anymore, but the Rockets got Swift. :D

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

DoD, is it me, or is Lonny sounding a little like Kenny Thomas used to be for us? That would be a nice spark down the bench.

14. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

DoD, you rock. Thanks again for covering our young 'uns.

Could Baxter be our fifth big man? I forget who it was (maybe DaDakota), but someone pointed out that we need from someone like Baxter is a bruiser, rebounder, energy player. Is Baxter like this? Or more of a scorer? EDIT: I like the Kenny Thomas comparison. Hmmm....

I hope Baxter and Glover get signed by someone, even if it's not us.

Hopefully Head will come around.

15. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Head was the shooter who went cold when the Illini came roaring back in that championship game. It was Daron who shot them back into it.... or am I thinking of the Arizona game?

The one thing I like about these somewhat disappointing reports on Head is that he is, at least, playing under control.

16. TigerBait

TigerBait Contributing Member

Head was actually the one that kept them in the game with his shooting, everyone else, including Williams and Brown were playing poorly.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

DoD, as always thanks for the updates!

If the Rockets can move some of their dead weight like Spoon/Baker etc off the roster I would love to see Baxter get a shot. As a 3rd string PF he sounds solid. Perhaps he doesnt have the "defensive quickness" to play big minutes at the 4, but it sounds like he has some nice post moves that could at least help the Rockets second unit.

As for Glover, at 6'5" and the ability to create his own shot I think he would be a natural to come off the bench. Perhaps he isnt the best role player to be a guy to swing a pass around the perimeter, but as a scorer off the bench to spell Tmac at the 3 or play the 2, Glover sounds good. Another way to add some more youth to the roster.

Badiane sounds disappointing. I think it's time to KEEP him here in the states to get him some year round play. It's the only way for him to take the next step.

Luther Head. I guess from what I read so far I am a bit worried about his shooting. Hopefully he will come around. But as long as he plays good defense he will find court time with JVG.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Yeah I seem to remember Head pouring in a barrage of 3's in the second half to bring Illinois back. I think he took a rushed 3 late in the game though that sort blew their last chance to win. Still, I think he had like 20 in the second half. I'll take that every playoffs from him in a Rox uni :)

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes, Baxter in the summer leagues is sounding like Kenny Thomas did in the NBA. ;)