1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2001 FREE AGENCY PLANS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NCSTATEFAN, Apr 8, 2001.

1. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

THIS IS A UNIQUE APPROACH I FEEL TO KILLING SEVERAL BIRDS WITH ONE STONE.
    THE PROBABILITY OF THIS HAPPENING IS 1 ZILLION TO ONE, BUT HELL, THIS IS FOR FUN ...
    #1, HAKEEM COMES BACK AND ACCEPTS A MIN CONTRACT, SAY AROUND 2-3 MILLION. THIS ALLOWS HOUSTON TO KEEP 6 MILLION IN TRADE EXCEPTIONS.
    #2, SEND CATO AND THE 13TH PICK TO SACREMENTO FOR CHRIS WEBBER IN AN SIGN AND TRADE. YOU MIGHT ASK WHY GIVE THE 13TH PICK? ITS A REWARD TO TAKING THIS BUM OFF OUR HANDS, AND FREEING UP ADDITONAL CAP SPACE. #3 SIGN SHANDON ANDERSON TO A MARKET FRIENDLY DEAL. I WOULD SAY 4 YEAR 15 MILLION. HE IS FAMILIAR WITH THE OFFENSE, AND WILL HELP MAINTAIN CHEMISTRY WITH THE REPLACEMENT OF ONE STARTER ALREADY. THE TEAM STILL HAS AROUND 9 MILLION TO SPEND ON CONTRACTS TO MOOCHIE, AND POSSIBLY TAYLOR. IN ADDITION, THE TEAM CAN STILL BECOME A PLAYER IN THE NEXT SEASON (2002)WHEN WALT WILLIAMS AND CARLOS ROGERS CONTRACT EXPIRE (AROUND 7.5 MILLION).
    C-OLAJUWON/ROOKIE
    PF-WEBBER/K. THOMAS
    SF-ANDERSON/LANGHI
    SG-MOBLEY/
    PG-FRANCIS/NORRIS

------------------

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

My eyes hurt

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

#1, HAKEEM COMES BACK AND ACCEPTS A MIN CONTRACT, SAY AROUND 2-3 MILLION. THIS ALLOWS HOUSTON TO KEEP 6 MILLION IN TRADE EXCEPTIONS.

Huh? How does signing Olajuwon have any effect on a trade exception? You only get trade exceptions when you make trades, hence the name.

#2, SEND CATO AND THE 13TH PICK TO SACREMENTO FOR CHRIS WEBBER IN AN SIGN AND TRADE. YOU MIGHT ASK WHY GIVE THE 13TH PICK? ITS A REWARD TO TAKING THIS BUM OFF OUR HANDS, AND FREEING UP ADDITONAL CAP SPACE.

Ok, let's say Sacramento does this deal. Since Webber will make just under $13M and Cato only makes $6M next year, we'd have to use almost $6M in cap space (plus the $1M trade exception that we have from the Drew trade). Fair enough, I'd do that deal in a minute. That would leave us with about $8M in cap space.

#3 SIGN SHANDON ANDERSON TO A MARKET FRIENDLY DEAL. I WOULD SAY 4 YEAR 15 MILLION. HE IS FAMILIAR WITH THE OFFENSE, AND WILL HELP MAINTAIN CHEMISTRY WITH THE REPLACEMENT OF ONE STARTER ALREADY.

Feigan, Shandon's agent has already stated that it will take more than an Early Bird deal to resign Shandon. So, if he's not willing to take $4.5M/year, then he's certainly not going to take a 4 year $15M offer. Whatever Anderson would take, there's absolutely no way that you could resign Anderson, Norris and Taylor with only $8M in cap space.

------------------

4. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Friendly posters on this website I see. Wish I could have found this place sooner.

BTW on the trade exceptions, and I am certainly not the genius regarding the rules such as yourself, Carol Dawson stated (if I remember correctly), if Olajuwon is renounced, Houston loses the trade exceptions, all of them. The only way they keep the exceptions is by resigning him at a 18.5 mil, or if he accepts a less amount.

Now the rest of your sarcasm is really argumentative, and yes there is some optimism in the post, but damn man, allow people to have some fun. Quite being such a tigh @ss, and relax. The Jime Rome Type "A" for annoying personality is definetly out. I am simply throwing out dream scenerios, so lighten the hell up.

5. Jim1965

Jim1965 Member

There is no way Sac. would accept Cato and the 13th pick in exchange for Webber.

In fact, I am not sure Sac. would accept all three first rounders and Cato for Webber.

Since Cato is a BYC player, I think we would need another team to pull that off. Can any capologists out there inform me if this point is correct?

------------------
    Bob Rainey is my hero!

6. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

What about Ben Wallace???
    Rebounds like Rodman, blocks shots like Hakeem and from all reports, has a good attitude.

Maybe even better than Davis or Jackson definitely better than Cato. He should also be considered if available. He'd be a huge asset.

------------------
    "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till the other is ready." -HDT

7. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Can anyone ban those who use all CAP? [​IMG]

------------------
    They couldn't stop him in the early 90s; now they can't stop him in the 21st century
    -- Bill Worell on Phoenix defense on Hakeem

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I assume you didn't mean "leave us", rather you meant "start with" before the trade. Or is our maximum cap room now calculated at $14m??

btw, aelliott, the 15% rule equals $1.95m on a $13m contract. We only have to match $11m on a Webber sign-n-trade.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How much does he make?
    Atrocious free Throw shooter if i recall

Rocket River

------------------

10. Band Geek Mobster

FT % - 33 % (75 of 225)
    3 pt % - 33% (1 of 3)

Per Game Stats
    Points - 6.4
    Rebounds - 12.8
    Blocks - 2.26
    Steals - 1.28
    Assists - 1.5

I didn't realize he had such decent steal numbers.

He'll make 4.5 million next season.

------------------
    Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited April 09, 2001).]

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My god, is that the worst FT % anyone has ever shot with a decent amount of attempts? Only 75 out of 225? [​IMG]

------------------
    "Any event, once it has occurred, can be made to appear inevitable by a competent historian."
    Lee Simonson

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You lose your trade exceptions because you fall under the cap, that is correct. But, you gain cap space, which is better anyhow.

Also note, it wouldn't matter in terms of the sign and trade for CWebb how much it is, if we're doing that much cap space, CWebb will count towards our cap space 12.6 mill, if we trade Cato, I don't think we can trade $x to match perfectly.

Another point, I wonder if exceptions can be created in sign and trades? I think the answer is no, recalling the Toronto-Orlando Tmac sign and trade. Toronto didn't get 9 mill in trade exceptions. That would work to our advantage, as we'd probably be able to get them to take on a short term contract (Walt or Los) with Cato, in this hypothetical scenario.

aelliott-Norris will be no problem to resign. We've got early bird on him, and he only counts about 500K unrenounced. The way he has a nice role, and is friends with Cat and Steve, and since someone would be out of their mind to offer him over 5 million, he'll be no problem. Also, let's wait and see if Shandon keeps up his better than Early Bird demand, I feel there's no way he can think his market value is better than Cat's, who got an Early Bird.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

13. haven

haven Member

I'm not sure that we're capable of offering an attractive trade package to Sacramento.

When you look at our roster, we don't really have any tradebait. Even our draft picks aren't attractive, since by the mid-first round the draft degenerates into guess work, with a great many of the prospects failing completely.

A Shandon Anderson and Cato + pick combination might work, except that would be contingent upon Anderson's willingness, and Sacramento not getting a better offer elsewhere (or Webber REALLY wanting to come here).

Unless you're willing to deal Mobley or Francis... the idea of a trade package seems rather weak. I, personally, wouldn't deal Francis for someone as much older as Webber... and dealing Mobley would be traitorous in the extreme.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

[This message has been edited by haven (edited April 09, 2001).]

14. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Why does everyone continue to bring up sign and trade senarios for C-Webb? We will have enough money under the cap next year to sign him to the max outright, wether Sacramento likes it or not, we will not have to give them anything. I think the only way the Rockets make a sign and trade is if they have the opportunity to drop Cato or Walt. I don't think they will trade their lottery pick either, but maybe one of their lower first rounders.

------------------

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The only trade scenario I see to get Webber or any other star-caliber player would be Walt + Los (expiring contracts) and the picks; or, if Shandon would agree, Shandon + Cato? Walt? Los? and picks for the same. Even a 3-way trade. But, as these are semi-difficult and seldom occur, I won't hold my breath.

------------------

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RocketFan-Sign and trades would give us more cap (for use on another free agent) as well as giving Webber more money, because Webber can get 12.5% increases as opposed to 10%. It also gives something to Sac. in return.

For example, TMac could have signed in Orlando outright, but Orlando wanted to give him the extra few million (I think it was 3 million more over 7 years?) and Toronto obliged, by accepting a sign and trade of TMac for a conditional pick from Orlando.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

17. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

we won't need him to shoot FTs we need him to do the dirty work which Cato and Taylor can't do. Put it this way, if Wallace gets his FTs right, he'd be averaging close to a double-double a night.

If there's hope for Shaq, then there's hope for Wallace.

------------------
    "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till the other is ready." -HDT

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

aelliott-Norris will be no problem to resign. We've got early bird on him, and he only counts about 500K unrenounced. The way he has a nice role, and is friends with Cat and Steve, and since someone would be out of their mind to offer him over 5 million, he'll be no problem. Also, let's wait and see if Shandon keeps up his better than Early Bird demand, I feel there's no way he can think his market value is better than Cat's, who got an Early Bird.

Nike,

That's true about Moochie, but what I was responding to was the idea that we'd have enough cash to resign Anderson AND Taylor AND Norris after acquiring Webber. Unless Taylor or Anderson is willing to sign a cap friendly deal, then you can't bring all those guys back and get Webber without moving other contracts (i.e. Walt).

BTW on the trade exceptions, and I am certainly not the genius regarding the rules such as yourself, Carol Dawson stated (if I remember correctly), if Olajuwon is renounced, Houston loses the trade exceptions, all of them. The only way they keep the exceptions is by resigning him at a 18.5 mil, or if he accepts a less amount.

NCSTATEFAN,

Ok, I see what you were trying to say, but we don't have $6M in trade exceptions to keep. We only have a $1M trade exception from the Drew trade. When you made reference to $6M in trade exceptions, I thought you were implying that we'd accrue trade exceptions by signing Olajuwon.

I assume you didn't mean "leave us", rather you meant "start with" before the trade. Or is our maximum cap room now calculated at $14m??

Hp,

No I actually did mean "leaves with". Best I can figure, if we renounce Hakeem, Bullard and Taylor, then we're $13.475M under. If you deduct the $5M difference in Webber vs Cato salary (you're correct about the 15% amount), then you're down to ~$8.5 in cap space. Since we would have needed cap space in order to absorb Webber's salary, then that would also mean that we'd most likely be far enough under the cap that we'd lose the $1M trade exception. There's also another $2.4 in cap space that could be freed up by renouncing Shandon.

------------------

19. Hydra

Hydra Member

Jim,
    BYC status goes away if you are under the cap.

------------------
    "Of course, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong" -- Dennis Miller