1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20 year old daughter traveling to Italy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigdaddy, Apr 22, 2014.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trying to keep her mom calm has been the biggest issue.

2. TL

TL Contributing Member

Tell her you guys have "accepted" it and that you really want the whole experience to be good so that the trip will have lasting positive memories. Sell her a bit on New York and how fun staying in Manhattan could be. As a gift, offer her a hotel room if eh changes for a later flight to enjoy New York for a day.

And the tips about a couple key things sounds smart, too.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

goood luck

4. platypus

platypus Member

Just tell her that you'll pay for her hotel in New York, the safety should outweigh the 20 bucks saved. I'm sure she would agree.

5. DwightHoward13

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

huh huh huh...
    [​IMG]

sounds like your kid has her s*** together and is more responsible than most people her age. there are plenty of young dumbasses who travel abroad and make it back...she will be absolutely fine in italy and have the time of her life...sounds like she earned it!

this!

#26 jo mama, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  7. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Do not let your daughter stay at the YMCA Harlem. Provide her with money to stay in a safe location.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Is this the plot for Taken 3?

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I think the OP's main concern is his daughter staying at the Y in Harlem.

I think most that read his post and understood that, agree with him as well that staying at the YMCA in Harlem isn't the best idea for her. Whilst we can all agree she has done well in paying for a trip to Italy for herself, that YMCA in Harlem thing is an issue.

Even is she doesn't want your permission or help, she shouldn't quibble if all you want to contribute is for her to stay at a better hotel(or hostel) in New York City. She can do and go wherever the heck she wants but your daughter shouldn't be stubborn about the hotel or hostel in New York, especially if you're offering to pay for just that.

10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Some in different cities allow the homeless to stay there overnight.
    I'm guessing others allow visitors to pay to stay there overnight.

Either way, there are hostels in such cities that are better options if one can't afford an actual hotel.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Give her the gift of the hotel room. Tell her it's always an option. Perhaps they change their mind last second when they see that staying at a YMCA is not all that great.

12. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Instead of just objecting to her staying in Harlem, try to understand why she wants to stay in Harlem. I for one must admit I don't understand what's attracting her to it, and this is coming from someone who lived in the vicinity for a few years around her age or a bit older. It's actually a pain to get to the fun places from up there. Understand what's her fascination with it, then come back here and ask for suggestions of better things to do and not better places to stay, because you're never going to convince her through arguing the latter.

13. Asian Sensation

I hope she likes Albanian guys.

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Harlem YMCA is a hostel.

she probably found it as one of the first searches for NYC hostels.

she should try the Jazz Hostel along Central Park West and 106th, Duke Ellington Blvd.

it would put her in a place where, simply, there is more to do in one night.

that being said, people hear the word Harlem and think it is some sort of war zone.

the jazz hostel is practically Harlem anyway but closer to museums, better subway access, and like I said, it's on Central Park.

#34 across110thstreet, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Harlem is basically in the mid stages of gentrification. So yeah.

16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Were is she going? I agree that there is nothing to worry about in Italy.

This is the best advice in this thread so far. Try to figure out why she wants to stay at the YMCA. And discuss with het what options she has (maybe what she likes about the place is also possible in a safer hotel).

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I feel like Aziz Ansari signing there's **** everywhere when thinking about a hostel.

18. downbytheriver

[​IMG] >>>>>>>>>>> [​IMG]

I jest... i jest

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

20. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

My sister has traveled all over the world (including Africa and Asia) solo or with other girl friends (some of whom she met on the road) and had no issues with crime. She will be fine in Italy and the most dangerous thing she'll find there are Italian boys (which she is probably COUNTING on). As long as she has common sense and uses good judgement she'll be okay.