1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20-Year Anniversary of the Record-Tying 15-0 Start By The Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2013.

1. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

This brings back some memories!!! I feel old

2. LG1200

LG1200 Member

great read. this passage from the SI article made me chuckle though.

3. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Hakeem was unguardable. .

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great thread and thanks for posting. I am still bitter that SI didn't put the Rockets on the cover that year for winning the championship. You know if the NY had won they would've been calling that team one of the best ever.

Some other thoughts from the vid. I wish we could see some of those entry passes into the post like we do now. Also watching both Dream and Ewing hit fadeaways and jump shots from 17 feet out. When was the last time Dwight Howard hit a shot from more than 10 feet?

Finally all during the game had this going through my head. For those of us old enough to remember basketball on NBC this was the theme to basketball in the 90's.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m-WA4xEal2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mean.

UNBEATABLE!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TMFjBl5VMaY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

7. ILoveWhiteGirls

I remember this, and I remembered it vividly on a tubed television and not so blurry and unfocused on youtube. Is the quality on youtube really that bad? Also this was a day game was it Clutch? Or at night?

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

I really want to sing "memories," O.K., I won't, but it would be so appropriate. Why can't the Chronicle do quality stuff like that? Great post.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

10. Illegal Machine

Ewing had a bad shooting series, but defensively he was amazing. Blocked 30 shots in 7 games. At the time that was the record. I think Duncan broke it for blocks in a series (32 blocks in 6 games).

Just shy of 12.5rbs per game in the series, too.

What's amazing to me is Dream was UNBELIEVABLE in that series, and John Starks was embarrassing in game 7....but the Rockets only won by 6 points.

What a war.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Totally nuts. I watched that play numerous times ... the bench reaction and crowd response fit perfectly with how amazing that shot is.

12. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

That was such an awesome time .. Hard to imagine 20 years have already passed .

I watched the game in College Station at a place called Bullwinkles . They had a huge space with high school type bleachers built in and a massive screen . The place was packed and the atmosphere was like game 7 of the finals.Partied all day and night

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch,

Thank you for reminding us that

CLUTCH CITY > EVERYTHING

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Can't believe it's been 20 years.

I copied the OP and emailed it to my 13 year old Rocket-loving son. Great stuff!

15. tinman

Supporting Member

What fake ass fan can't watch a 7 minute video of the best Rockets team of all time? They need to watch every second of it.

This **** is timeless

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Fun to watch.

It's great for the NBA when there's a big stage like MSG where teams/players can go in to a hostile atmosphere in the media capital of the world and make a huge national statement (even drawing ooh's and aahs from the visiting crowd eventually) the way Olajuwon did there, and the way Jordan, the Celtics, etc did in the past.

Too bad MSG is now a den of horrors almost entirely due to Dolan's mismanagement and stupidity in which visiting players demolish a listless Knicks team....again.

17. solid

So true, and Dwight has the physical skills. Maybe not the touch, but he could be much better.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I remember the 22-1 start, but ESPN mentioned in their Power Rankings today something I'd forgotten about. The Rockets at 18-1 early on that season faced the 16-1 Sonics(Houston won of course). Not surprisingly, they finished with the top 2 records in the league.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

The second Dream gets the ball, he already knows what he's going to do.
    Dwight is still thinking about his game plan when he gets the ball.

20. solid

Instincts! Hakeem was also relentless, Howard loafs. Hakeem wanted to dominate the ball, demanded the ball. Howard watches. You can't teach temperament.