1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20 oz Soft Drink Bottles

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Mar 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Have you noticed it is harder and harder to find a deal on 12 packs of coke. Once every 4 months you catch a 4 for 10 but coke is constantly 3.339 on sale now at Randall's and Kroger.

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I don't buy the bottled water/sodas anymore. $1.15 is ridiculous! I remember when I was in middle school they were only 75 cents.

Anyways, I drink a lot of water now instead of sodas. I don't really buy them at the store because they're like $1.08 at the groceries and $1.29ish at the convenient store for 1 gallon.

I buy water from those quarter machines thing. 25 cents for a gallon sounds like a damn good deal.

3. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

The restaurant I work for charges $2 for regular tea or soda. It's another $.15 or so if you want one of the flavored teas...

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i just go to Sam's, Walmart or Costco to grab a 24 pack of cans for 5 bucks.

$0.21 per can.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I just drink beer instead.

As far as water goes, why would anyone pay for bottled water? That's like paying for sunlight.

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Stock up at Sam's.

You will save enough money at the end of the year to plan a vacation.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Um, not in NYC. I had to give up drinking iced tea because the only damn place that would give me refills was Houston's.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the 20oz single bottles at the gas stations are out for me. they have gotten ridiculous and like others have stated, you can get a liter at the grocery store for cheaper.

can anyone here who owns a restaurant or manages one tell us how much they make off the drinks. The way the prices are now I believe it makes up most of their profit.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

it costs an average restaurant no more than 10 cents for the soda - the costs include carbonated water, syrup and the dishwasher. maybe 15 - 20 cents if they do styrofoam cups and lids (that is way more expensive than the actual soda)

its a nice racket!

10. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

So, if it costs them 10 cents, and they sell it for $1.50, that's a markup of 1500%.

They oughta wear ski masks when they rob people like that.

11. macalu

eh, it's not any different than any other product out there. it's not just food or drink they're offering, it's the service and location. really, what's the point of being in business if you're gonna sell everything for the same price you bought it for.

12. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

Oh - I don't expect them to sell it for the same price they buy it for. Hell, if they sold it for 50 cents, it'd be a 500% markup for them.

But the point of being in business is to make money. And, honestly, if people are willing to pay it, I might charge the same amount.

Also, I think that another reason for huge markup is because a lot of people pay attention to the meal prices but don't give any thought to the drink prices when they order a Coke with their meal.

13. macalu

lol, yes. i almost exclusively just drink water when i dine out. every so often, someone will ask, "are you sure? it's only a couple of bucks more." or something to that effect.

14. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

"only a couple of bucks more" !?!?

If a waiter ever said to me "it's only a couple of bucks more",
    I'd say, "Yeah? Are you gonna buy it for me?"
    Waiter: "No"
    Me: "Then shut the hell up and bring me a free water, b****."

okay... I wouldn't really say that.... It's just one of those things that I'd love to say, but never will.

Spartans would have the balls to say that. I'm not a Spartan. I'm a Houstonian.

15. macalu

let me clarify. i was talking about the people i eat out with. sorry for the confusion. i'm kind of the cheap ass in my group.

16. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

If that is a 1500% markup, then the Rockets games must be closer to 5000%!!

Nowadays if I want a drink, I usually get a fountain drink instead of a bottled one, and only if I see a sign that says "All fountain drinks $.79" or something to that nature.

Pugs

17. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

tea is like 5 bucks at strip clubs....

not that i'd know that from personal experience.

18. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

19. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

soft drinks are so ****in bad for yoou...might as well eat 40 spoons of sugar