1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 Questions...I've always wondered...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finalsbound, Apr 13, 2001.

1. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

What is illegal offense? There is such a thing, isn't there? Please define it for me and tell me what happens for it to be called.

Also...

What happens when you've got 5 starters and 7 bench players, and 8 foul out? Do you have to forfeit or something with only 4 players? Or does the most recent foul-out still play but there is a technical called for every foul?

------------------
    Chris Webber at the July 28, 2001 3:00 PM news conference when he announces where he will go:

"It seemed tough, but with guidance from Steve Francis, I learned my true destiny. That destiny is to play for the Houston Rockets, to bring them back to championship glory. One big man is all they need, and I believe I can fill that void. Thanks to the loyal fans in Sacramento, but Houston, Texas is where I belong."

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Answer 1. I don't believe there is a such thing as illegal offense.

Answer 2. If you have 7 people foul out and only 5 are left then nobody fouls out so they can get infinite number of fouls and no technicals are not called in this situation.

------------------
    Arkansas' Biggest Rocket Fan!

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

1) Rule 10, section 15 - Section XV-Isolation - If the offensive team positions three or more players above the tip of the circle, on the weakside, a violation shall be called.
    PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team on the side-line
    nearest where play was interrupted but no nearer the baseline than the free
    throw line extended.

2) Rule 3, Section 1 : Team
    a. Each team shall consist of five players. No team may be reduced to less than five players. If a player in the game receives his sixth personal foul and all substitutes have already been disqualified, said player shall remain in the game and shall be charged with a personal and team foul. A technical foul also shall be assessed against his team. All subsequent personal fouls, including offensive fouls, shall be treated similarly. All players who have six or more personal fouls and remain in the game shall be treated similarly.
    b. In the event that there are only five eligible players remaining and one of
    these players is injured and must leave the game or is ejected, he must be replaced
    by the last player who was disqualified by reason of receiving six personal fouls.
    Each subsequent requirement to replace an injured or ejected player will be treated
    in this inverse order. Any such re-entry into a game by a disqualified player shall be
    penalized by a technical foul.

2)

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

4. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure if you have more than five offensive players on the court at one time, it's considered illegal.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.