1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 part question for Hangout residers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by IVFL, May 4, 2005.

1. IVFL

IVFL Member

My first question is if you mainly post in the Hangout, and are a Rockets fan, why don't you post as much in the Basketball forum.

To ask the second I have to answer the first.

First let me say that I am a basketball snob:( . The last few years I have been able to work with a college basketball team. During that time I have learned more about the game of basketball then the previous 20 some odd years before. But this has ruined me in watching the game of basketball. I no longer look at the game as a game but rather strategy. I don't notice the nice dunks, but how the person got open for the dunk. I don't see the great 3 point shot, but the series of screens that were used to get the person open. If the game is on dish and I can record it, I spend the majority of the time rewinding it and seeing how plays are set up and why they worked. When teams are on defense I am critiquing help side and other aspects of defense. Its gotten to the point that I almost don't like watching basketball games for relaxation because its not. I spend too much brain power figuring the game out rather than just watching it. So its very hard for me to talk in the Basketball forum because, 1. I am a snob and think I know more than everyone else.
    2. If I do talk basketball most people don't get it how I would like them to.

Second question is, does anyone else have this problem and how do you fix it. That problem being, getting frustrated with basketball talk. I mean that's why I did what I did basketball wise, but now I just cant enjoy watching a game, especially a NBA game. I really don't like to talk basketball like I used to.

HELP:mad:

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Become a referee.

3. IVFL

IVFL Member

I already did that, and in the process gained a whole new level of respect for the good ones, like myself :cool: :D

4. drapg

drapg Member

You hit the nail on the head.

I, too, am a sports snob. I feel that since I dedicate so much of my waking time to watching, following, analyzing, and writing about sports... that I know much more than the masses and average fan. Therefore, I feel treading into that forum is beneath me, especially after reading many of the threads.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You become the soccer dad that makes every coach wake up in a cold sweat.

6. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

So y'alls too good for the GARM??

I have the opposite problem.

I read. There's a lotta crap in there...but some great stuff too. I'd only add to the crap.

7. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

This is one serious "me" thread.

Fortunately, I do not know as much as you and can appreciate these caveman dunks and 3's.

Seriously though, drink a few beers and chill out.

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Right now is the most fun the GARM has been since I've been here.

JVG has made the Rockets the attention of the NBA right now, and has made Houston wake up and get behind their Rockets.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I don't post in the Rockets forum anymore because it's way too stressful. I used to go to bed after Rockets games with five or six thread ideas and would literally lose sleep over it. I can honestly say I was addicted. I'll glance over every now and then, but that's about it...

I have the opposite problem as you, though. I want to learn more about the game of basketball and watch it less as a fan. I'm going to try and become a youth basketball ref this coming fall...

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I hangout in the hangout because the hangout is a place to hangout, find out things about the hangout, and joke about the hangout.

I TRY not to post in the GARM, only do I occasionally drop in to add my "shut up, bandwagoner" post. Why? :mad:

In the GARM, there are too many: "we're going to lose this game", "other_team wins this one because my rockets are bad, but I hope I am wrong" and "our team sucks this year, but I have been a fan since 1965" hypocrite and negative posters,
    too many "hey, who's a [whatever_player]-only fan?" posters, too many "I know better basketball strategy than you", and finally,
    too many "why do you keep correcting my posts" posters.

At least HANGOUT-ers like a good pun, a good response to a joking thread, or a good response to a "this site is cool" thread. They don't get pissed if someone searches for the thread they started redundantly.

I am a walking NBA rule book, and can't remember the last time I didn't call a TRAVELing call on the court, and people are like: "MAN, don't call sissy fouls, man..." or
    "MAN, don't call travel... you don't call that on black top games..." or
    "DUDE, that's not carry... I am putting my hand OVER the ball but not walking with it"
    All of these are should be called, PERIOD.

If you notice, more and more people in the NBA, especially small guards with the exception of some veterans, are carrying the ball with their palm UNDER the ball, and NBA doesn't call it. Isn't THAT a carry? IT IS.

I don't know how to fix YOUR problem, though, but I would like to help. :D

Most of the time, however, I don't have enough time to read ALL the pages of the Rockets Game threads. I do read some for the info, but I can't keep up with all the articles and long posts.

Supposedly, a post is supposed to be short, but you see, I can't on this one. it is VERY VERY personal to take my Rockets seriously and I pick fights with so many people because they, living in HOUSTON, go against my Rockets. I wish death upon them for cursing my ROCKETS. :mad:

moestavern19, I think I am there already.

Thank you for starting THIS thread. :) Feel free to agree or disagree. That is what this BBS is for. If you're going to say that my ROCKETS suck, don't come in here...

11. droxford

droxford Member

IVFL,

If/when you watch the game with someone, focus on that person, not on the game.

Example: my wife tapes and watches reality shows. I don't really care about them, but I enjoy the fact that she enjoys them. So, we enjoy watching the shows together (she enjoys the show, I enjoy the fact that she enjoys the show).

So, if the strategic analysis of basketball is taking the fun out of the game, try to focus on just enjoying time with a friend or someone who is close to you.

People are more important than TV.

-- droxford

12. IVFL

IVFL Member

The whole JVG thing has got me thinking "why dont I post here" but I realize that the only reson I am in the GARM is to read the articles and not for the personal insight of the posters.

I guess the another problem is I know why the rockets loose games, most of the time I can just look at the box score and tell you who won the game without even looking at the final score. So I get infuriated when people say, dumb stuff like, If we had Maurice we would have killed them. No we lost because we were outrebounded by 20 and I dont think MO is going to help us in that department.

Maybe I need to quit everything associated with basketball so I can forget all I have learned then I can go back to the mentality of , "cool he dunked it".

13. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Number one reason is my technical basketball knowledge is practically nil. I can't add anything to any serious basketball conversation that isn't agreeing with someone else. I love the game, I love our team but I don't know much about the rules, strategies, plays and stuff.

I love to type fast, therfore, I do pbp in chat. I don't have to know about moving picks, the rules, what constitutes a foul, I just type what I see and hear.

btw, I also don't play basketball unless it's on a video game.

14. rudager

rudager Member

Oh come on, Naismith...McGrady-over-Bradley was totally sweet.

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

This is why we have a secret forum where we don't have to concern ourselves with the average GARM poster.

[​IMG]

16. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I coached basketball at the HS level for about 10 years. I don;t go in there because I would argue too much. I hangout here to..well...hangout and get away from seriousness.

17. Isabel

Isabel Member

Same here. I like reading about it and hanging out with other fans, but I don't have a whole lot to add that isn't really obvious.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I lurk in the GARM probably more than all the other forums combined. Sure there's a lot of crap in there but there are also many posters in there who really know their B-ball. If anything happens Rocket-related, you can bet that someone will post a thread about it before any of the major news outlets get it. That always amazes me.

I don't post in there a lot because almost anything I want to post has already been expressed by someone else.

Plus I'm really embarrassed about my TOTAL lack of knowledge with regard to anything salary cap related.

19. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I don't go posting in the GARM because to post, I'd have to actually have a bunch of knowledge about something, which I don't, so I need DT to explain it to me, and then by the time he does, posting is completely useless anyway.

Posting in GARM is futile. At least for me it is.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

A lot of stuff is said before I get to the keyboard. I don't get to see every game so I'm just getting to see a slice of who the Rockets are. I am much more into the trends of the games instead of talking about one game.