1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 Months to wander the country... where would you go?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VooDooPope, Jul 29, 2019.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Drive up to St. Louis and see the sites. Just don't take a wrong turn and end up in a bad neighborhood. From there, I'd go to Dodge City, Kansas. See the Long Branch Saloon, but just remember to be nice to the barkeep. Then to Coolidge to stay with some family and have some lunch, then to South Fork, Colorado and stay at Kamp Komfort campground. They have a nice pool and like to send out a mailer. Watch out for wild animals though.

From there, I'd go to Monument Valley along the Arizona-Utah border. Just try and avoid driving down any closed roads. Then to the Grand Canyon and stay at the luxury El Tovar hotel. Just make sure you have a major credit card because they don't take checks - even if you offer to write one for over the amount of your stay. Then off to Phoenix to drop off your dead Aunt. Then I'd end at Disneyland but be sure to check to see that the park is actually open. Sometimes they close for repairs, but the moose out front will tell you.

Happy road tripping!

Colt45, CometsWin and jo mama like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's where I'd go, at least at that time of the year. Go on up into British Columbia, if you have the time. If you end up in Spokane, to the east, go north into Canada, into the mountains. Nelson is a college town and there are beautiful places all around up there. The lakes at the base of the mountains resemble Norwegian fjords. Kaslo is a great little town north of Nelson. Hot springs in several places, great looking chicks. You can't make the jazz/blues/world music festival in Kaslo (it's the first weekend in August, the Canadian Labor day), but you should check it out on a different trip. Well worth seeing.

VooDooPope likes this.
  3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

After spending any time in colorado on the way up, and spending some time Canada, I'd be afraid of any lingering scents in my van and issues with the US border patrol tearing everything apart and then apologizing with a sorry, not sorry.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Quite possible! We solved that problem by renting a car for the trip into Canada, and then not doing anything inside the car that might be odorous. ;-)

Flew into Spokane, though. You wouldn't be doing that, and likely wouldn't want to leave your van, either. I have an old friend who lives in Kaslo. He moved to Canada when he thought he was about to be drafted. He didn't end up getting drafted, but he loved it. The guy, a native Texan, married a Canadian chick, split with her, then married another Canadian chick, had a couple of kids along the way, eventually blew off the "getting married" idea entirely, and has lived there ever since. Has dual citizenship. It's a beautiful area.

5. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

pretty much everything west of the rockies, and the rockiets of course. western america ***** on the east its not even funny

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

For some reason I've had a sensation to follow the Oregon Trail... I've always been infatuated by it since youth..

VooDooPope likes this.
  7. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Glacier National Park!

Deckard and VooDooPope like this.
  8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yeah WA state is on the short list if I decide to move away from TX and call some place else home. Love that area

Deckard likes this.
  9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

That’s not a bad idea but I don’t want to die of dysentery. :)

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

North California>Portland>Seattle>Vancouver (I would skip Van.) >
    Kelowna>Jasper>Whitehorse>Anchorage

This time of the year you can see hundreds of bears hunting trapped salmons under almost every bridge north of Alberta/BC

on your way back take BC97 to Haida Gwaii
    ,also Victoria island is worth a visit

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You teach yoga? Do you have a man bun?

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

ive been twice in the last 3 years. its definitely worth checking out and santa fe is really nice too.

i just reread your OG post and saw you already spent time in colorado, but if you didnt make it to the southern/southwestern part of the state i would also highly recommend. lots of great hiking and hot springs. pagosa springs is 3 hours or so north of santa fe and from there you can hike around the weminuche wilderness area. sulfur hot springs in downtown pagosa. durango is an hour west of there and thats a really cool town too.

austin - santa fe - pagosa - durango - mesa verde - arches natl park - canyonlands - bryce canyon - zion - grand canyon...theres your first two weeks!

Deckard and VooDooPope like this.
  13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Marketing pays the bills. Yoga clears the mind and heals the body. I've dropped 100+ pounds and affected positive change in almost every aspect of my life and others through teaching.

I didn't plan to become a yoga teacher it just happened. When you find a passion for something and then a studio gives you a scholarship to teacher training, you see where it leads even if you have no desire to ever teach. Halfway through training I discovered I love sharing the practice with others.

So No. I'm a 50 year old, bald, formerly fat, yoga teacher that doesn't have a man bun but I teach at 5-6 days a week at 3 different studios, and my classes are always full, so people must be digging the vibe creating, even without the man bun.

Be the change you want to see in yourself and the world around you.

14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

My friend loves Ouray CO which is down in the SW area of CO. Said it's her favorite spot in the whole state which is a huge compliment considering how beautiful it is everywhere. Thanks for the recommendations.

jo mama likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not to hijack the thread... but, if you are traveling from a state/country where it’s legal to a state/country where it’s not... is it illegal for your car to have a smell?? The answer has to be no... but I can certainly understand/see it cause slightly more of a headache.

On my drive back from California there might have been some contraband in my car, and in Texas I-10 gets really close to Mexico so we had to randomly stop and go through a border checkpoint and they had K9 dogs and everything. Still was fine - they were looking for illegals. But definitely made me question my decision at that point.

Deckard likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

When you see the Southern Cross for the first time, you'll understand why you came this way.

VooDooPope and Deckard like this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I’m sort of a homebody but if I were cast out and had to travel for two months, I would follow the big surf and rob banks to fund my neverending summer. What am I going to do? Paddle to New Zealand?

jo mama and Colt45 like this.
  18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

of course not. theres cliffs on both sides!

Xerobull likes this.