1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2.2% of all their points were scored off mid-range jumpers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I guess the rockets are perfecting their form. CP3 will be conforming to the rockets master plan.

cheke64, amaru and BigMaloe like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Chris Paul falls in a faint.

J Sizzle likes this.
  3. OTMax

OTMax Member

Almost 60% threes to almost 1% mid-range is outrageous..

4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Chris Paul is one of the greatest mid-range shooters ever. We'll let him take that shot or whatever shot he wants."
    "Morey is not against mid-range. If he had LaMarcus Aldridge or Chris Bosh or Chris Paul [or any great mid-range shooter], he'd let them take them."

:D

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

...to idiots.

BigMaloe likes this.
  7. amaru

amaru Member

Meh nobody is beating GSW anyway

DudeWah likes this.
  8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Class has really gone to hell around here? I remember when people were nice to each other even in disagreement.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Yeh man, it's a shame... hasn't been this bad since the LOFs inundated the place...

There are still a good number of folks who maintain a sense of decorum... but too many rude posters who have to resort to personal attacks if they encounter anything they dont agree with... name calling, accusations of having a low bball IQ, etc...

It's a shame really... I come here to have an exchange of ideas and views... too many posters evidently just want to have a circle jerk with like minded posters i guess... lol!

If 2 people agree of everything - then one of them is not needed... lol

fattz, BigMaloe, cheke64 and 3 others like this.
  10. rocketseagles07

Smh lmaooooooo.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I think I know who shot that 2.2% midrange jumper, Eric Gordon and then he got benched.

PhilCollins likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

#12 heypartner, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    DonKnock, J Sizzle and BigMaloe like this.
  13. OTMax

OTMax Member

Shooting 38% will never carry over to the regular season, especially considering our competition.

14. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Yeah think this will trend to a full 82-game season where teams actually play their stars, and give me a break.

Bottom line if we want to be this extreme 3pt gunning team, I'm all for it, but be able to derive the 3s differently and understand when to confuse the defense. The Warriors get away with this cause they have arguably the 2 best shooters in the league, and another top 5-7 shooter in the league. They also have 5 players capable of averaging at least 5apg given healthy PT, excellent off ball movement, and are willing to move the ball.

Enough comparing to the Warriors. They are like the supremely talented, sophisticated version of what we want to be. We're not even the poor man's version, we're nothing like them. We play gimmick ball and stall very quickly. Our defense is also absolute ****.

SIL

15. heypartner

Neither will 59% 3PAr. That's the whole point. The tweet is meaningless.

My tweet is closer to the truth. We will be closer to 38.5% shooting than either of those two other preseason facts. But feel free to focus on the stats that are least likely to happen, because,,,,narrative.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. kjayp

The more you limit your offensive options - the easier you are to defend....seems like a pretty simple concept to me...

Most all the stats regarding the efficiency of 3 pt shooting are based on teams defending the entire array of shooting options... including teams/players being lazy about getting out on 3 point shooters if its not a focal point...

but If you all but eliminate a certain aspect of your shot selection, teams will pick up on this and skew their defense accordingly...

Teams may not make this adjustment as readily during the regular season - cause teams will stick with their base strategies for the most part and may not make drastic adjustments if you're playing 3 different teams in any given week......
    but when you get into a 7 game series against someone like Pops... he's gonna key on those tendencies and abuse you for them....

If the team is going to continue to increasingly focus on the 3ball - fine... but you better be able to call an audible and incorporate midrange shots if the defense makes the adjustments...

...jus sayin...

Space Ghost, brewer's goat and carib like this.
  17. rockets13champs

That’s just what Dantoni said, doesn’t mean it’ll apply. Lol. You gotta say what u gotta say to keep that competitive advantage

18. heypartner

Then why has the league-wide ratio of 3FAs versus Midrange shots and Low Posts plays increased so drastically in the last 5 years, versus any other time in NBA history?

The league as a whole has moved to "limit its offensive options" ... both mid-range and low-post are dying ... haven't you noticed.

... or am I taking crazy pills here

[​IMG]

I think you mean what was extreme three point shooting strategy in the 90s and 00s is the new Black, now. Half the league has limited its options more than MDA's offense did his PHO years....when they went from 16th to 1st in 3PAr and 3PA ... all are just average now.

DonKnock and jordnnnn like this.
  19. kjayp

Everybody's gonna chase whatever has resulted in success for other teams...

GSW have obviously had huge success on the 3 ball... if you think you can outshoot them with the 3 ball - then by all means go for it... but most teams dont have a backcourt thats gonna shoot at a comparable level to Steph and Klay...

Phil was such a genius with his triangle offense... or was he just blessed with the best players who could have won in most any logical strategy?

Obviously utilizing the 3 ball is hugely beneficial - presuming you have guys that can make the shot at a healthy clip...

I'm just saying you better be prepared to make adjustments if A) they aint fallin or B) the defense is keying on it....

#19 kjayp, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  20. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Heydude....stop looking at raw numbers. Look how those 3s are derived. Now tell me if you see any correlation on how GSW/BOS gets 3s vs how we and Cleveland does?

We do it very predictably, they do it very differently.

It's like if we ran down the court and shot a 3 90% of the time, and the Warriors ran a play to get a 3 or got a transition 3 90% of the time, it'd show we both go for 3s as often but how we got them is a night and day difference. Please, if you do not understand or grasp this concept please stop pushing 3s only and why is the league doing this, etc.?

It's extremely different. Designing a set up for an open corner three(through dribble drive, backdoor screns, or a variety of options--lets say 8 or 9--- defeats our 1 or 2 ways of getting an open 3).

Anytime you bring up this causation of increased 3s, please akcnolwedge how to get to those attempts. The Warriors run upwards of 30 different sets that'll create an open 3. Boston is around 20-25, but have used many ATOs for an open 3 that'd make you look as silly as the Warriors in a half-court set. The Rockets run under 11 different variations of high screen and rolls, flares, and hand offs for 3s. Add the fact that their 3 most high volume 3pt shooters are better than our 3 and you'll see why they win so damn much.

**** it, for this first game. I'll tag you each time they run an incredible play that leaves an option for a 3 pointer, like I tag @DonKnock when Harden plays **** D. A lot of the Warriors half-court read and react sets, make you pick....Curry or Klay for 3, or a layup from someone, or quick pop out mid range J or 3(in Durant vs. Livingston's case when they run that play).

If you can't get ahold of this and interpret, you're a lost cause.

SIL

fattz, OTMax, brewer's goat and 3 others like this.