1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If all it takes is Anderson and Gordon to get LeBron as some on here assume, then sure I'm on board 100%. But why would the Cavs trade LeBron only to get a very poor man's version of Kevin Love when they already have Kevin Love ...but then also pay the derivative of Kevin Love $40 million for the next two years?

JuNx likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

id say lou was the most valuable out of that bunch. not gonna say it was a great bunch of assets but it was a pretty decent haul for the clips knowing that cp3 was leaving for sure

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

The Rockets don't necessarily need a third team to take on Ryno, the Cavs may be willing to take on Ryno themselves. BUT, the Rockets would then need a third and/or fourth team that are able to take a veteran's salary back and surrender their first round pick.
    For example, say Philly has a bunch of cap space and don't make any big signings. They could join us in a 3-way trade and take PJ Tucker (whom they can definitely use next year if they want to make a run for the finals) and send a first round pick to Cleveland along with a first rounder of ours on top of Ryno. Now I'm not sure if Cleveland feels two late first rounders will offset the trouble of taking Ryno rather than lose Lebron for nothing; maybe you'd have to find a fourth team and do the same with Eric Gordon (Utah maybe?). Its tough to say what Cleveland is or is not willing to do, but this would be another possibility of trading for Lebron.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well, we'd definitely include at least a first or two. If they trade LeBron, they're definitely going to rebuild. And in that case, they'd definitely trade Love for assets. So I don't think it'd matter to them.

luckyman76 and jamisonrocket like this.
  5. alethios

alethios Member

You forgot the future HOF'er Sam Dekker! He's bonafide.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. It won't take just Anderson and Gordon. We will probably have to throw in a pick or two as well to offload Ryno's contract.
    2. If LBJ leaves, Cavs are most certainly going to try and trade Love as they will be in rebuild mode. Ryno offers an alternative off ball player for a team that will have no way of competing for a while going forward.

True Rocket likes this.
  7. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Cavs aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Ryno will help the tank & free up 20 million in 2020.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

It wasn’t so much that but it was us unwilling to add Gordon or attach a 1st to the deal because well Melo isn’t worth it. Lebron is of course worth it and more

alethios likes this.
  9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

An opt-in and trade for lebron makes him more money in year 1 then he would make year 1 on signing with any team, including the Cavs, if he opted out.

He could then get a full Max next offseason, with no state income tax in Texas, lining himself up for the most possible money with the rockets.

It also gives him his most immediate chance to compete and win a title, outside of gsw.

I will not, at any point, doubt that LeBron is coming here until it’s official he is opting out.

The old saying goes “follow the money”. Add that with “I still wanna be in competition mode” and if you don’t think we are the most logical destination, you just aren’t paying enough attention.

#2489 BigMaloe, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You had me at hello.

11. alethios

alethios Member

[​IMG]

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

To the tune of BIG DOLLARS, the best financial solution for both CP3 and Lebron is Lebron opting in and be trading to Houston. He'd be able to sign a full five year max next offseason for over $200 million and CP3 could do the same right now. The state income tax isn't AS BIG as people have made it out to be, but it would still be a pretty big nut over 5 years, something like $40 million or so I think in saved taxes over 5 years.

Vivi, Hakeemtheking, DonKnock and 3 others like this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

They wouldn’t lol

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The opt in gives him the one year to have a trial run, but this isn't just winging it. He would be joining a stacked team if Tucker isn't involved any deal (Capela Tuck LBJ Harden CP3 Green ? ? ?)

Win a championship and he may shock us all and sign the 5 year deal next summer, but the 1 + 1 would be more expected

amaru and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. justtxyank

I think he will want to sign a 5 year deal at some point. The over 38 rule is approaching soon and he's getting older. The constant 1 year deals start to lose value. Being traded to Houston and signing full 5 year max next year as a free agent is the absolutely 100% best financial decision he can make on his basketball contract. (I'm disregarding whatever extra money may come from being in LA because I can't quantify it.) This was the same argument made when CP3 opted in and people thought he left money on the table by not signing the max. Signing the 5 year max at the last possible minute before the over 38 rule applies is the MAXIMUM leveraging they can do on their contract and they both fought to get that rule changed in the CBA.

BHannes2BHonest and BigMaloe like this.
  16. aroundtheblock2

There would be a 3rd team involved, a team that needs to add salaries to meet the cap floor. Anderson is perfect for a team that isn't really competing right now that needs to add cap based on league rules.

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This.

It’s set up right now, oddly enough, that opting in to his current contract gives him more money than his 1st year if he opts out. That’s just a random anecdote, and it’s not a lot of money, but it’s still more.

But also, cp3 and lebron instituted and pushed the over 38 rule. Just like cp3 this year, they will both most likely push for one last huge max contract.

For Chris Paul, that opportunity is right now. This offseason is his last chance at the 5yr max.

The one difference tho justyank is this is also the last offseason lebron could sign that 5yr max.

But he could opt-in and resign for the full 4yr max next offseason.

The slight more he makes next year by opting in and also the concurrent raise increases on the 4yr max afterwards; coupled with the advantage of no state income tax (even if its slightly overblown) would be more money earned the next 5 years compared to opting out and signing a 5yr max....

.... I believe.

I have not done number crunching on a full blown comparison.

Opt-in, plus 4yr max next offseason, plus income tax savings (maybe 40m over the life?) should be a higher net income than opting out for a 5yr max in Cleveland, plus whatever income tax.

Since he would make more next year opting in the raises would be higher over the life of the contract leading to added dollars also.

@BimaThug or @aelliott please correct me if I’m wrong

The_Yoyo, Vivi, alethios and 3 others like this.
  18. justtxyank

Right, I'm treating Lebron opting in and signing a four year max next year as being the same thing essentially as a five year max deal. Good catch there on the inaccuracy in my language. You nailed it though, the main takeaway is from a pure basketball contract value scenario, the 100% best case scenario for Lebron is opting in, either to stay in Cleveland or to be traded. The ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT ABOUT IT best case for him financially is opting in and being traded to a team with no state income tax.

Hmmmmmmm....is there any team that can accomplish this for him???

BigMaloe and sammy like this.
  19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Magic? Heat?

20. alethios

alethios Member

Neither can get him a championship right now or in the next couple of years.