1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. basketballholic

Cp3 will sign the deal he wants to sign. It's his call.

Bobsputin likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He's definitely not, and anything more than 3 years isn't logical either.

But it seems a stretch to think that if there was a wink wink it was contingent on Lebron definitely coming. CP3 can't lock up Lebron and make him choose Houston.

justtxyank likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Hey everyone, hundreds of years ago the Roman Empire used to dominate everyone and was the center of the world. America sit to ass down and put some respect on Rome. Everyone wants to be in Rome even though Italy’s economy is in shambles right now. None of that matters because of the rich Roman history that existed long ago. Cool, makes sense.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No but it could be viewed as an incentive to do his best. If he can convince his friend to come here, he gets the max, if he can't do it, he gets less.

6. JayZ750

Perhaps.

I think the years are more important then the dollar amount.

Whether it's $30 million, or $35, $40, $45... you don't want to be paying CP3 that in 4 and 5 years

Conversely, if/as they are going to be way over the cap in most scenarios anyway, if its just 3 years, give him whatever he wants/was agreed to. [Caveat, I don't know about all that hard cap stuff... I mean I get it's always better to have more cap room or less over the cap spending as possible...]

7. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Still at 90% chance at LeBron coming to Houston?

justtxyank likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Lebron comes to Houston and stays here, I'm fine paying CP3 that money....it'll be after a few championships are won.

Fyreball and House Rockets like this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just be prepared for him to sign a max for the full length, or close to it.

10. basketballholic

Maybe 89.99999999999999999

This is all typical stuff. It's only June 18th. There's more in play than just Lebron.

Remember I said things could change. That's why I'm at 90 instead of 100. Because it's not final. But I'm holding at 90.

11. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Interesting. who else is in play other than LeBron???

Didn't you know about the CP3 opt in trade before it was made public?

12. JayZ750

Lol... yes, of course.

Talking about if (cough... when) he doesn't come...

13. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hate Stephen A all you want but he is a real insider. Time for plan B.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well then you don't even consider giving CP3 the max.

Someone being a "real insider" doesn't mean that the information they are being fed is reliable. John McClain is a "real insider" and the team feeds him bogus information to spread all the time.

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Not necessarily. LeBron is incredibly tight lipped about his plans. He wouldn’t appreciate Chris Paul, one of his good friends and the head of the Players Union, spilling the beans that he’s intending to sign with the Lakers when free agency opens on July 1. Unless it’s something LeBron asked CP3 to leak to nudge Cleveland towards accepting sign and trade options.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. basketballholic

Was asleep Saturday morning and had text messages when I woke up. A couple hours later it was announced. Was actually telling another poster here about it on Twitter when it was announced.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Rockets have no way to replace get a player the caliber of CP3 in free agency or the draft if he walks. So unless you want to blow up a 65 win team, they don’t have good alternatives to giving him the max.

clutchdabear likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you aren't going to get Lebron, you'd be better off blowing it up than being stuck with CP3 eating up a max contract for 5 more years. The cap isn't a concern if you land Lebron, it is if you don't.

19. HTM

HTM Member

You also have to consider CP3's options in this... where is he going to go and get a max offer? Does CP3 want to go get the max from a sh*t team and spend the twilight of his career in the lottery? Probably not. Ok, that limits his options considerably. Which team, that is any good, has max cap room to sign him? None.

Maybe he can team up with another star somewhere to form a super team but it's not like CP3 can easily go out there and get a max contract and be on a contender.

seeingred likes this.
  20. JayZ750

The CP3 trade happened/was announced on Wednesday June 28, 2017.

I didn't just google this randomly. I remember being at work when it happened, which was definitely not a saturday.

BigMaloe, rocketman84 and joshuaao like this.