1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1st Traffic Ticket

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ABforPresident, Oct 13, 2011.

1. ABforPresident

I'm 16 years old and have had my liscence for about 9 months and just got my first ticket for rolling a stop sign(I barely rolled it) and my fee is $165

Anyway my court date is December 2nd and I have some questions.

Should i get a lawyer? Will they let me take defensive driving? Should I plea not guilty or guilty? Is there a chance the cop wont show up to court? How bad will it raise my insurance?

Please give me any advice you can...My parents might kill me :eek:

Thanks for the help!

2. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Plead no contest, your court date means nothing if you take care of it beforehand. There will be some old lady at a counter at the courthouse. Show up, give her the ticket, say you're pleading 'no contest' and will be taking defensive driving. You pay the fine with her, then go home and take it online.

As far as your insurance rates are concerned, no one can give you a definite, there are a lot of factors to consider.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

No/ Yes/ defensive driving is a no contest plea / possibly / none if you do defensive driving.

4. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Only thing I can tell you is don't wait until your court date, I'm sure being 16 you'll feel uncomfortable dealing with that. You can go to the court and get it taken care of tomorrow. (or if you just got it today, wait a week so it's in their systems)

5. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Lawyer up

DD

6. ABforPresident

I thought if you're under 18 you are required to go to court...also if I dont go to court how can I ask for defensive driving?

7. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but no you don't have to go to court on your court date. When you walk into the courthouse they'll have a few windows with people working, you go up to them to plead no contest and tell them about defensive driving.

8. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

I always gone to court on the court date... it's packed tighter than greyhound bus stations on Christmas' eve, I don't think there are people 'standing by' to take walk-ins.

Show up on the court date, on time... and wait for the judge to call your name, then say deferred disposition to the judge, pay your fines, and gtfo

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I went to court, opted for defensive driving. Parents and insurance never knew.

But I don't know how it works if you're 16. I was 17 when I got my first one and took defensive driving. I don't think it's much of a difference.

Just don't take defensive driving at Laffstop. You'd be wishing you'd pay the full fine instead.

10. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I know for a fact every courthouse allows you to take care of your ticket months in advance, I've never known a single person who would wait to go on their court date.

11. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

I'm in a similar predicament.

I got pulled over about a week and a half ago for going 50 in a 35 and I didn't have car insurance, but the cop didn't give me a ticket for that. He only gave me a ticket for speeding.

I got insurance on the car a couple of days ago though.

I've got a couple of questions to ask. Should I take defensive driving and plead no contest or should I just go ahead and pay the ticket? What would be cheaper?

Also, could the cop or judge or whoever I see at court give me an additional ticket for no insurance even though I just got it and it wasn't on the ticket that the cop gave me? :confused:

12. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Btw, my court date is scheduled for next Wednesday on Oct. 20th. I won't be able to go tomorrow because I will be in SA for work and the court is obviously closed on the weekends.

Is it too late for me to even qualify to sign up for Defensive Driving if I go in on Monday?

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

If it doesn't say no insurance on the ticket, I doubt the judge would know or even care.

Personally, I always go for the defensive driving rather than pay the fine. Afraid it might affect my insurance premium.

14. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

defensive driving. it'll stay off your record.

15. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Depending on where your ticket is, your parents might have to show up. When I was 16-17 I got 2 speeding tickets. One with SLPD and one with Fort Bend Co Sherrifs. With SLPD I just went to the counter, but with Fort Bend County I was required to show up with a parent.

Either way they will let you do DD and get it dropped if its our first ticket.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

The ticket should have a part to sign and send in to the court saying you're taking defensive driving. Mail it certified. If they agree they will send you something in the mail saying you have 90 days to complete the course.

Choose an online defensive driving course, do it early, and then take your Texas driving record, defensive driving cert. to the courthouse and it will be dismissed. Also, don't forget to send the DF cert to your insurance. It might not go down on your premium at your age, but it couldn't hurt.

All in all it will cost about as much as the ticket, but it will not go on your insurance.

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Have your parents take away your driving privileges until you show more responsibility.

1 person likes this.
  18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

repped... Thats right!!!You be responsible the responsible one and punish yourself.. Dont let them do it ... Give your parents a break from the discipline... And if you disobey your own punishment, look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself "was it worth it?"

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Call Sullo & Sullo. It'll cost about $70, you'll spend a couple hours in court, and they'll get the ticket dismissed. You won't have to bother with defensive driving, your insurance will never know, and you'll look responsible to your parents.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ I've never had to use a lawyer, but that sounds like the right way to get it dismissed. I was going to suggest defensive driving, which actually teaches you many good lessons while you learn to watch your driving habits and improve... :cool: good luck, though.
    Why would your parents kill you? You made a mistake. Just try your best not to do it again and mean it. :eek: Be honest with your parents, sir.

I agree with you, though... Another Brother for president! Oh, and BTW, nice SIG. ;)