1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1999 Draft: Rockets wanted Posey or Artest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 4, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, we got Steve Francis and Kenny Thomas out of this draft :rolleyes:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1999_3148613

"You always want versatile players, people who can play in the running game and halfcourt game," Dawson said. "A lot of guys are just halfcourt players. We want the versatile players. Rudy (Tomjanovich) really likes guys to play two positions, like Cuttino could play one and two. People like that, who could play four and five or three and four."

Predictably, there are not many players who fit all those criteria that will still be around at No. 22 and worth picking up.

Forward James Posey, at 6-8, was a power player at Xavier, but could play inside or outside in the NBA, ideally as a small forward. Like Mobley, Posey can defend against a variety of players, giving him the versatility attractive to the Rockets. He could, however, go several picks before they select.

Tulsa forward Michael Ruffin is more of a banger, strong enough to battle inside and quick enough to defend against smaller players. He does not have Posey's offensive skills but is more likely to be available.

Cal Bowdler of Old Dominion is taller, at 6-10, but a more skilled scorer, though less of a defensive presence. A center in college, Bowlder seems well-suited to play power forward in the NBA. And the Rockets have always been attracted to shooters with soft outside touches, regardless of position.

Small forward Quincy Lewis of Minnesota, like Posey, could go well before the Rockets pick, but there is potential for him to last just long enough. Lewis is not as physical as Ruffin or perhaps as versatile as Posey, but is considered a more gifted scorer after leading the Big Ten in scoring last season.

Ron Artest, coming out of St. John's as a sophomore, might be the most versatile of the power forwards with any chance of sliding to the Rockets' range. At 6-7, he is not as tall as teams might like inside, but he could be as powerful as Ruffin, with greater touch inside. He also has a history of playing his best in big games.

2. Why So Serious?

I actually thought the Rockets did quite well in that daft, Stevie has defiantly achieved more in his career than Artest.

By the Kenny Thomas pick Artest was already long gone, I would be more pissed off that the Rockets did get AK47 when he was still available.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Thats why they pay Rudy to scout. Except the 98 1st rd. NEVER speak of that draft again.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

yeah it wasn't bad. but what if steve stayed with the griz? that would have changed everything.

5. Why So Serious?

Right, but lucky for us Stevie b****ed and moaned his way out of playing for them :D

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'll be the first to set you up here, tinman. It's an underhand you should be able to knock this one out of the park.

WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT THE YEAR 1999? :confused:

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This actually shows how versatile, dude is. They looked at him as a small PF and he ended up playing SG alot in his career.

8. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Artest came into the league as a SG from memory as a bull. but once he was traded to the pacers, he bulked up and became a alternating SF/PF.

9. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

I will always have fond memories of my summer of 99.

10. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

So you lost your virginity that year too Huh buddy?

yup,Good times,Good times. :)

11. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Rudy salivated over Posey...when we got him he always gushed over him...he is a coach's player

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What has Steve Francis achieved that doesn't involve Allstar weekend?

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You'll be knocked out of your seat, but I'm going to have to agree with you on this one, durvasa. Francis has had more All-Star appearances but none of those were deserving IMO.

14. Tmac-is-numero1

I wouldn't say steve has done more than artest.... but he definatly gave us some good memories :cool:

15. Albert Einstain

ron could be as powerful as Ruffin who makes more tos than rebounds,makes more fouls than points. :D Ruffin is absolutely not in the same level with artest.

16. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

But you gotta remember that you couldn't have got TMac without Stevie Franchise.

17. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

Yeah me too !! To think thats when I started my first professional job out of college and damn for basically no money :D

18. carib

carib Member

yeah, summer of 1999 I got my first laptop.

Why are reminiscing about 1999, in a few days we will both have Artest and Francis on our current team. Lets not forget we did have Posey.

19. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

What has Ron Artest achieved that doesn't involve instigating the brawl and made the Pacers collapse?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

NBA Defensive Player of the Year