1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

180lb dude that's in great shape VS a 125lb (flyweight) professional MMA fighter: Who wins?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JMAD21, Aug 21, 2016.

Tags:
?

Who wins?

1. 125lb pro

122 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. 180lb dude in good shape

8 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'll take a NCAA Div 1 wrestling champ with at least a purple belt in BJJ over a boxer with only one month of training takedown and submission defense.

Also we've seen this example. Granted Toney probably really did only train one month of wrestling and submission defense and is way past his prime but so was Couture. It's obvious the fight was just an easy paycheck for Toney to cash in yet this is what I'd expect to have happen to a boxer with no idea how to defend himself on the ground.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xvme71?start=667" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvme71_029-randy-couture-vs-james-toney-ufc-118-28-08-2010_sport?start=667" target="_blank">029 - Randy Couture Vs James Toney - UFC 118...</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/vinniciusmachado" target="_blank">vinniciusmachado</a></i>

2. gambingo

gambingo Member

Take your bro to Thailand for a vacation and let him fight a pro Muy Thai fighter there and tell us the result lol.

3. Dei

Dei Member

Oh man. Thank god that sentence ended that way. Telling people to go to Thailand doesn't normally end well.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ditto -- the argument reminds me of when they started the WNBA and people were saying they could beat female pro ballers.

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

Your bro will get stomped.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

James Toney was at his peak at around 165. He weighed 237 for that fight, so he's a little out of shape where as Couture, though very old, was in great shape. Toney looked like he didn't train at all.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

MMA Fan Response:

Weight doesn't matter! Only skill! Flyweight wins!

Brock Lesnar sucks! Only wins because he is so big!

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Brock is pretty skilled and is a freak athlete. The debate is based an average dude vs a professional fighter.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah, Because we arm our soldier with the best knives. He give our Cops knives, we have people arm up with knives and knife blades.

GUN>KNIFE. trained or untrained.

[​IMG]

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

See Royce Gracie back in the beginning of UFC (UFC 1, 2, etc). He was taking on and beating dudes 2,3,4 times his size, and some pretty easily.

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Your bro would get whooped and not even close. LOL

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

"close quarter scenario" generally means you are within arms reach.

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

heard that one alot and admittedly, thought it myself. this girl was not posting up on any of us, but she was quicker, had better handles and better shot that the rest of the dudes. no matter the size or gender...hobbyists going up against people who dedicate their lives to something are going to lose more often than not.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

What does the quality of the knife have to do with anything? Secondly, your gif of an Indiana Jones movie means nothing.

I'd also like to know where you got your information, other than your internal assumptions about the way combat works. Mine came from someone who trains soldiers prior to combat.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Brock Lesnar is a world class wrestler....that makes all the difference in the world. If the guy who was 180 was a skilled wrestler, I'd put my money on them all day long against the 125 lb guy.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Who says Brock Lesnar sucks, Brock Lesnar is a freak athlete and a Division 1 heavy weight champion in Wrestling, have you seen his NFL combine results, they are pretty ridiculous.

I believe Brock would be one of the greatest of all time if he started training striking and bjj right out of university.

He was dominating people based on wrestling and athleticism only.

17. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Terrible logic

Every MMA fan acknowledges weight matters.

You take two equally skilled fighters and the heavier guy should win

It's been 10 years since I heard it but when I first started training BJJ my intructor used to tell us that like every 30 or 50 pounds (i forgot which) that your opponent has an advantage over you is as if they have an extra belt. So if I'm rolling with a blue belt that has that 30 or 50 pounds on me it would be like rolling with a purple belt... if he had 60 or 100 pounds on me it would be like rolling with a brown belt and if he had 120 or 150 pounds on me it would be like rolling with a black belt

Lesner was a high level wrestler with blue belt BJJ skills on the mat and pretty amateur/somewhat competent hands.

18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I believe that but in two years time after the Couture fight he went on to win 3 more boxing titles. Fat Toney was still a pro winning titles even if there are a billion of them out there in boxing nowadays.

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It depends on how far away you are. They have done studies where within a certain range, knife beats gun.

20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

remember the mtv show, bully beatdown? I can remember a few occasions where the bully (who were non trained people) actually did a decent jobs against similar sized professional mma fighters.

of course in the vast majority of episodes the "bully" received a "beatdown." However if given a 50% size/weight advantage, I'd think the bully would've faired much better.