1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

18 days, what I do, whatcha think?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sydmill, Jun 10, 2012.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

This thread is b*stard son of the Jeff Taylor thread, draftexpress mock thread and one of the several Meyers Leonard/Perry Jones/Damian Lillard threads. After spending beaucoup time (as always) reading the "experts" opinions about the draft class and taking in the latest mock at draftexpress, I am more convinced than ever that the following makes sense for all involved and has an actual chance to happen. What do you think?

Trade: Lowry+Dalembert to NOH for Okafor and #10
    If New Orleans truly is ready to part with the tenth pick to avoid their obligation to Okafor, we should be all over this. Okafor is overpaid (but aren't all centers?), but he is a double double every night, shoots efficiently, is not a head case, and he is local. Worst case scenario he is fodder for another trade as an expiring contract season after next, best case is he fits the culture of of the team and becomes a leader/example for the youth movement. Best part is this moves simultaneously nets us a lottery pick and a veteran who will help us make the playoffs next year. Its a win-win. For New Orleans, Lowry/Gordon/Ariza, Davis is a solid core that might even make the playoffs next year and allows them to target another veteran after they waive Dalembert. I just dont see the likelihood of trading Lowry for the 5, 6 or 8 when those teams could target Nash, Williams or even Gogi and have that high pick. This way we maximize our most moveable asset by getting a big man and a higher pick.

Trade: Patterson, Budinger, Morris anywhere for backup point guard or a borderline starter at the 2 to backup (or replace) Lee.

Draft: I am torn on keeping the 3 picks and I realize that adding these rooks to the green guys we have makes us real, real young and probably puts the window for a deep playoff run 2-3 seasons down the road assuming these guys pan out. Like many though, I can live with some growing pains if there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Plus I think we would have enough veterans to instill in the young guys what it takes to be a successful pro. Without further ado, my retooling of the roster (with backup plans)

10 - Meyers Leonard (Damian Lillard or Jeremy Lamb): Leonard, I think, is moving up the board. Shocker, a legit 7 footer moving up the board? I think his floor is Robin Lopez and his ceiling is Brook Lopez with rebounding and D. If he isnt around Lillard I see as a smaller, quicker Cat Mobley who would play the jason terry role for us as we had lost Lowry. Lamb I like as a guy who can play Martin's role with added defense.

14 - Perry Jones (Terrence Jones or Austin Rivers): How long has it been since the Rockets had an elite athlete? Lebron and Wade are able to do the things they do not only based on their talent but also (mostly?) because they are stronger and faster than the guys guarding them. Jones has that kind of advantage. As a 3 he can shoot over anybody guarding him. As a four he can outquick his man to the rim. Floor: Anthony Randolph Ceiling: pre krispy kreme Kemp (as a 4) or Rudy Gay(as a 3). Jones follows the pattern of 4s without prime size, but he is big enough to play the post and is better than Patterson or Morris. Rivers has been spoken about enough and would be good value. I do worry that Milwaukee is looking at Leonard and Jones at 12 so Jones may be gone.

16 - Terrence Ross (Jeff Taylor or Arnett Moultrie): Just saw Ross compared to Sprewell which is doubful but thats the kind of guy I want. Most profiles describe a good to great athlete with a good shot, we could use all of that. Taylor I see as a Bruce Bowen type or Courtney Lee with better offensive ability. Moultrie is once again good value here.

Assuming Morey buys a second rounder then I have been high on Kyle O'Quinn since he played well in Portland. Cant have too many decent bigs after all.

2012-2013 Rockets
    Gogi - FA TBD/Llull placeholder
    Lee - Ross
    Parsons - Jones
    Scola - Motiejunas
    Okafor - Leonard - O'Quinn

2. AFS

AFS Member

I think we can get better value out of Lowry than just the #10 pick

3. Spooner

Spooner Member

This. At least I would hope so. No need trading Lowry and bringing back Okafor.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Also, I would think Dalembert to be a better asset than Okafor. Whichever team receives him would be shedding somewhat equivalent salary to get him, and then all they have to do is pay his buyout. It's like a Get Out of Jail Free card worth 6-7 million.

You don't want to combine Lowry and Dalembert unless you're really getting a better player than Lowry in return. Or a top 3-5 pick.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

not a bad plan

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

My thread has a son????!!!!!:confused::confused::grin::grin:

7. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Man i cant wait for this draft

8. prs325

prs325 Member

We overpayed.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I think any mock ideas that include trades automatically become pipe dreams because to make a trade you have to have two or more willing parties in a world where people's million dollar jobs depend on getting the perceived advantage in the deal.

To casually throw out "trade Budinger, Patterson and Morris, makes the idea ludicrous. How many NBA teams have ever traded 3 or 4 players in one off season?